Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is your FAVOURITE ever Brighton LOAN signing?

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
The Rouge was a legend. The way he would steam roll his way through defenders and the ball would some how bounce around off people and back into his path. He was my Favourite but perhaps not the best!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Was Gotzmanov a loan? If he was then he is the clear winner(of the last twenty years, at least).

Dickov and Flatts were mega. Akinbuyi was pretty good. Sidwell was very good. Was Ingirmarson a loan? He was quality too. Zamora and Knight weren't bad loans either...

Martin Keown - he seemed to be on loan for ages - does my memory deceive me or was he on loan over 2 seasons? Certainly the loan player who went on to win the most medals.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dickov, Akinbiyi, Sidwell for sure. I thought Junior Lewis helped get us into the Championship, so him too. Without Owusu we wouldn't have stayed up, simple. And McShane for one goal.

If I had to pick one, then Sidwell.

I think this has to be 'loan only', so Zamora doesn't count.

And you can't build a side around loans, look at Norwich. Skilful and selective use of the system is what you're aiming at.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
seeing Sam Williams score a looping header on his debut was a personal highlight!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Gotsmanov was absolutely quality. He was on a totally different level. Great signing.

I guess you could also say the same of McShane and I really did enjoy watching a young Bobby Zamora score in his first league appearance.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Paul Dickov...saw his first game for us down at Exeter, think we were defending a corner and I shouted out "hey Paul, welcome to Brighton"...he turned and gave me a thumbs up! He was a player with a superb attitude, maybe not the same quality as some of the others mentioned (Sid was good and Paul McShane outstanding) but for sheer effort and wanting to contribute to our team he gets my vote.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
For us older ones on the board the name of Brian Dear stands out. A fine example of a centre forward (in the mould of a pre-dietary Micky Quinn) who could score regularly carrying a bit of surplus bulk!

Also nobody has yet mentioned Barry Butlin who knocked a few in on loan from Forest.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
frank stapleton
wllie young :eek:
You are just being silly now.

Sergey Gotsmanov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"In February 1990, Gotsmanov joined Brighton & Hove Albion on a non-contract basis and scored four goals in 16 games for Albion, and in his short time at the Goldstone Ground he became something of a cult figure with the crowd. In one game he showed his class when he rounded the opposition goalkeeper and saluted to the fans in the South Stand before putting the ball in the net. Albion wanted to sign Gotsmanov permanently but could not compete with the terms offered by Southampton and the player moved to The Dell.":cry:

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
Martin Keown - he seemed to be on loan for ages - does my memory deceive me or was he on loan over 2 seasons? Certainly the loan player who went on to win the most medals.

I thought he was on loan for 3 months? Funnily enough I never thought he was much good in the air.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here