Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is to blame for our relegation?

Who is to blame for our relegation????

• MM - Wrong tactics, Wrong players in position etc etc

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • LDC

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • DK who should have asked MM to leave after Cov game in cup - a new manager may have helped

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • Wages, Stadium, Facilities etc etc

Votes: 75 56.4%

• Total voters

Safeway said:
I'll put it another way, then. The board and manager are at fault for not busting an absolute BOLLOCK to bring in a half-decent striker with the money made from the sale of Leon Knight.

We made next to bugger all from selling the waster after Chelsea made their cut, 7 goals in open play from 60-plus games and an unprofessional attitude that is renowned across the game made sure of that.

The manager certainly tried everyone and everything.

Could the board have done more? Yes. But only by risking the future solvency of the club. No thanks.

League 1 football ain't great after two years at this level but it will do OK until Falmer transforms the fortunes of the club from being a yo-yo between the leagues we've spent the last 5 years in.

Good poll by the way.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Buck said:
Well I can think of one player already there that does that kind of well.

Still...

And also scored 6 goals???

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
no one is to blame - thats football isn't it..making people scapegoats is neither good for morale or motivation...

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
New visitors to the Withdean Astrodome are gobsmacked by the appalling facilities and the general non-league appearance of the place.

It is a featureless,coverless,noiseless second rate athletics track with temporary golf seating.And home to supporters who plainly deserve better,and a team,from top to bottom who are trying in desperate circumstances to compete in a league where every other team has,generally,more of everything.

I have not got the secrets of the clubs finances,but believe what I hear and read about the club being barely solvent,so Im not surprised when we cannot sign players,in fact I'm surprised when we do.

It seems the only selling point we have as a club is that Brighton is a pretty damned good place to be.But players of Championship standard can be expected to want to play in facilities of Championship standard,and that just ain't us,chaps.(And chap-esses of course.)

So the answer has to be that we are currently a club doing ok in terrible circumstances,and whatever manager you choose is going to struggle.I remain amazed and encouraged that Mr.McGee has stuck it out for so long,and thank him for it.

Of course,some people hanker after managers from our recent past,but don't forget they chose the path to clubs with better facilities,new stadia and the such.You cannot buy loyalty,and can't expect to.

Some people draw names out of the air for a new manager,often people who have failed elsewhere or who plain just would not come to the Albion in current circumstances.Sure,we would get a long list of applicants if the job WAS vacant,but we wouldn't get anybody better .

Imagine you want to enter a fantasy football league where every other player has £50m to spend on players,but you have only thirty bob.Even if you are the worlds best fantasy league manager(stop it there,don't kid yourself!),you are going down.

Anyway,I've voted for facilities,wages etc,because its the right answer.

KPTF

Jan 6, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Large One said:
And why shouldn't he support him when (a) he IS the manager, and (b) they have an excellent working relationship?

Because C) it's been evident for a very long time that his tactical ineptitude was going to significantly contribute to our demise. DK has proven in the past that he can make tough, uncomfortable decisions and should have done so again before it was too late.

I do have a lot of sympathy for MM because the contraints he's worked under have been claustrophobic and I think he's a decent man but too often I've walked away from games this year saying "What the f*** did/didn't he do that for", usually in relation to his substitutions and I know I'm not alone.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
KPTF said:
Because C) it's been evident for a very long time that his tactical ineptitude was going to significantly contribute to our demise. DK has proven in the past that he can make tough, uncomfortable decisions and should have done so again before it was too late.
If Dick Knight thought McGhee should go, it wouldn't be an uncomfortable decision, it would be a proper business decision (unless it was for personal reason - and that, of course, would be different). It's YOUR opinion (though you may not feel you are alone) that Mark McGhee is tactically inept. Dick Knight disagrees. To him, in this regard, there is no decision to make. Mark McGhee IS the manager, and that's the end of it. So they carry on as before.

But that is one of the perks AND the dangers of being chairman - you have to make a choice of who your team manager is, even if it's not popular.

Last edited:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
But that is one of the perks AND the dangers of being chairman - you have to make a choice of who your team manager is, even if it's not popular.

Even if you dont have the support of other members of the board ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think we should be looking for someone, or something, to blame.

Both the chairman and the manager have done their best in difficult circumstances, and Dick Knight will have a difficult decision deciding what to do about McGhee.

It's not as simple as lack of money. It's more to do with the striker situation at the club than anything else.

Knight and McGhee need to have a long, hard look at the events surrounding the Turienzo affair, the Leon Knight spat, the McCammon situation and the Molango 3-year contract debacle.

As a fan I can take most of the downside of our present situation but I find it totally unacceptable that Saturday was the first match this season we had a Championship standard striker who actually knew what he was doing.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
no one is to blame - thats football isn't it..making people scapegoats is neither good for morale or motivation...

I'd agree that scapegoating is bad practice, but unless the club are analysing where things went wrong we are going to continue to go backwards.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
What sort of question is that? It sounds very loaded to me, in which case, would you care to elaborate?

Well, i'm sure I am not the only one to hear the RUMOUR that other members of the board do not back McGhee in the same way as DK does.

I dont think its stirring it, several people on here seem to have heard a similar story.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Rougvie said:
Well, i'm sure I am not the only one to hear the RUMOUR that other members of the board do not back McGhee in the same way as DK does.

I dont think its stirring it, several people on here seem to have heard a similar story.

Don't tell me BensGrandad, Ernest and Dwayne have all imagined, sorry heard, the same thing.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:
I'd agree that scapegoating is bad practice, but unless the club are analysing where things went wrong we are going to continue to go backwards.

Yep constructive analysing is great - blaming someone is not... I do hope there is constructive investigation going on....

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
The Large One said:
The story being...?

Thats it really, I dont know names, and i'm not stirring shit, but there were a few people I know talking about it on Saturday so the rumour must have come from somewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here