Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the worst player you have seen play for the Albion?

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Ashley Neal was so bad that he'd have struggled in a park kick around.

Valur Gislasson appeared to be playing in a different time dimension to the other players. He was always shaping to make a Hoddlesque defence-splitting pass. It never happened because somebody would always dispossess him.

Who was that bad left winger who had been booted out at Orient and Barnet and looked like Old Man Steptoe?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Who was that bad left winger who had been booted out at Orient and Barnet and looked like Old Man Steptoe?

Phil Stant?

(Just checked on wiki, he was a striker so definitely not Stant...though he did have more clubs than Tiger Woods!)

Last edited:

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
Personally I thought Barham was OK.

Mark Farrington was utter gash, and I will happily add Stuart Munday into the Pot. I remember watching many games where he had a total inability to do anything apart from kick it into touch.

Although .. YES, I remeber that goal at Leicester as well.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Mark Farrington gets the nod from me. Does anyone recall the goal at home where he almost double shinned the ball into the net from 5 yards out and then celebrated like Shearer.

Running him close would be:

Hilton
Mahoney Johnson
Neale
Glen Thomas
Berry
Briley
Moralee

Whoever said Peter Smith is talking rubbish. Perhaps not the greatest defender we have ever seen but not lacking in effort and whilst ungainly looking made some useful forward runs.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Kurt Nogan-before he got that lucky rebound against Bournemouth? in the micky mouse cup to open his account for us-looked a real fish out of water..

As there are too many to list i'd say (and i will need help here)the worst display i have ever seen was the goalkeeper's 1st half performance in a friendly or benefit game vs Spurs?? just before the 1990 world cup-had a feeling it was David James in goal?? like i say need help.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
michael owen

We had a keeper deputize in one match at the Goldstone, and everything that came at him went in. Even a ball that came straight at him, he managed to fall over and have it go past him. It was obviously his own nightmare too, and will doubtlessly have haunted him for years afterwards - no idea if he ever played again in the league.

As regular players went, I found Teddy Maybank to be awful. Perhaps not helped by Mullery's insistence on paying his old pal club Fulham a club record for him at the time, and then his playing the guy despite clear evidence that it was a mistake. He stood by that mistake to the point of replacing Wardy with Maybank, PW getting bench splinters having to watch the donkey rumble fruitlessly around up front as we lost points.

That for me, was when Mullery showed a flaw in judgment - and his other earlier transfer successes seemed to have been down to Peter Taylor's old scouts who were apparently still working for The Albion. Those were brilliant days, but the shine was started to tarnish slightly.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Teddy Maybank wasn't bad - he just wasn't Wardy, that's all.

The wost player or me? - Dale Jasper - came to us as a midfielder of the Ray (Butch) Wilkins. Well, he never made a forward pass - always sideways or back, and never more than 10 - 15 yards; just like Wikins, then - trouble was, he never passed to anyone on his own side.................................

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm inclined to go Slow Joe Gatting. OK, there's been far worse football players played for the Albion, but at least they looked like they wanted to be footballers, they just weren't very good at it. Whereas Slow Joe always looked like he didn't even want to be a footballer in the first place, just looked like a family member pushed him into it or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here