Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is leaving

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Very bored at work with no rumours, transfers to discuss so I began to think about what gus said in interview last week about players who have been told they have limited future with us. Who do you think this includes?

I am going for:

Sparrow
hoskins
Ankergren
Bergkamp

Any thoughts?

Ankegren
Bergkamp

But I would keep Sparrow (for the moment) and Hoskins!!!

I would also kick out Harley. Purely on the basis is that he is completely SHIT and he has been training by himself since the Newcastle game!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
don't know why he does though??, Spaz is a much more consistent player, and scores goals occasionally. Dicker simply cannot run, loses possession to often and is the weak link in midlfield (unless compared to Harley)
Sparrow has had like four good games in his Brighton career. I suppose it is probably fair to say he's consistent, I'm not sure if that's what you meant but.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I'm gonna get shot down by everyone here but, I'm interested in seeing how Ryan Harley gets on next season, hopefully with a decent pre season under his belt then he may come out the player we were hoping him to be.

Who knows....

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Ankegren
Bergkamp

But I would keep Sparrow (for the moment) and Hoskins!!!

I would also kick out Harley. Purely on the basis is that he is completely SHIT and he has been training by himself since the Newcastle game!

Oh yeah cos that's the kind of man Gus is isn't it? :facepalm:

Gus is a motivator, if he can make Adam El Abd be one of the best centre backs to play for us then I'm sure he may be able to help Harley out.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Very bored at work with no rumours, transfers to discuss so I began to think about what gus said in interview last week about players who have been told they have limited future with us. Who do you think this includes?

I am going for:

Sparrow
hoskins
Ankergren
Bergkamp

Any thoughts?

Add Painter and Harley to that list

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I don't hate Harley as much as some people seem to, but I don't see how he's going to get in the team really.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm gonna get shot down by everyone here but, I'm interested in seeing how Ryan Harley gets on next season, hopefully with a decent pre season under his belt then he may come out the player we were hoping him to be.

Who knows....

i just cannot see how he will get a game unless in the cup? new midfielder sought will be to play the dicker/spaz role. and Harley plays a similar AM role as Vicente. Poyet seems to prefer Barnes in the slightly deeper AM role than Harley, and Barnes gets stuck in and defends, Harley is afraid to get his socks dirty

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
don't know why he does though??, Spaz is a much more consistent player, and scores goals occasionally. Dicker simply cannot run, loses possession to often and is the weak link in midlfield (unless compared to Harley)

Spadge got 7 yellows and 2 reds last season so isn't reliable enough to be available all the time. As pointed out previously shipping out players will leave positions not covered by the right players when injuries and suspensions happen which they will.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.

Who knows....

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I know his workrate leaves a bit to be desired and that his penalty at Millwall was almost unforgivable, but I still think that he's got something about him. Technically he is sound and maybe just given one last chance he might show a bit more?

You never know.

Oh and he looks like Andy Murray. Not a positive I know but I thought i'd just mention it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Generally speakig, Gus wants two players in every position. Looking through the squad:

Brezovan Keeper
Ankergren Keeper
Kuszczak Keeper

We should have three keepers. If one gets injured or suspended you need someone on the bench for cover. Kuszczak is most likely the number one, so it comes down to how happy Brez and Ankergren are with their new position. They are still decent keepers and could interest other teams (lower championship/league one and two clubs). If one of them does go, we would probably look for a replacement, or bring through a youth prospect.

Vincelot Left Back (midfield)
Painter Left Back
Bridge Left Back

While I'm sure some fans may look at this and say get rid of Painter, I would argue Vincelot is seen more as a utility player than an out and out left back, so probably won't be seen as left back cover, so all three are probably wanted.

Bruno right back
Calderon right back (centre back, midfield)

Two options, so both wanted.

Greer centre back
Elphick centre back
Dunk centre back
El Abd centre back

Two for each of the two centre back spots, so all wanted.

Sparrow midfield
Vicente midfield (left wing)
Harley Midfield
Dicker Midfield
Bridcutt Midfield

Noone wings
Lualua Wings
Buckley wings

Looking at it as a midfield four, 8 players are needed. So, as much as some like to criticise Harley Dicker and Sparrow, I think all of them are currently still wanted, at least as cover/competition for spots.

Hoskins striker
Barnes striker (left midfield)
Mackail-Smith striker
Agdestein Striker

We rarely play two recognised strikers, but again, two for two spots, with Barnes offering midfield cover and Agdestein being 'one for the future', all four are probably safe as it stands.

Going through that, as we are, I don't see anyone leaving because we don't want them. Of course this could change if/when we sign more players, or if we receive offers for anyone we will then need to replace them.

I don't know how much last season will play in to the squad this season. Will Hoskins going out on loan last season still upset gus? Will the pre-season and full fitness lead to harley contributing more? Will Dicker's form as he came back from a long time out affect his standing this season? These could lead to my appraisals being off a little.

(not included, JFC and youhs like Kasim, Sampayo, Barker etc. who are 'for the future')

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Generally speakig, Gus wants two players in every position. Looking through the squad:

Brezovan Keeper
Ankergren Keeper
Kuszczak Keeper

We should have three keepers. If one gets injured or suspended you need someone on the bench for cover. Kuszczak is most likely the number one, so it comes down to how happy Brez and Ankergren are with their new position. They are still decent keepers and could interest other teams (lower championship/league one and two clubs). If one of them does go, we would probably look for a replacement, or bring through a youth prospect.

Vincelot Left Back (midfield)
Painter Left Back
Bridge Left Back

While I'm sure some fans may look at this and say get rid of Painter, I would argue Vincelot is seen more as a utility player than an out and out left back, so probably won't be seen as left back cover, so all three are probably wanted.

Bruno right back
Calderon right back (centre back, midfield)

Two options, so both wanted.

Greer centre back
Elphick centre back
Dunk centre back
El Abd centre back

Two for each of the two centre back spots, so all wanted.

Sparrow midfield
Vicente midfield (left wing)
Harley Midfield
Dicker Midfield
Bridcutt Midfield

Noone wings
Lualua Wings
Buckley wings

Looking at it as a midfield four, 8 players are needed. So, as much as some like to criticise Harley Dicker and Sparrow, I think all of them are currently still wanted, at least as cover/competition for spots.

Hoskins striker
Barnes striker (left midfield)
Mackail-Smith striker
Agdestein Striker

We rarely play two recognised strikers, but again, two for two spots, with Barnes offering midfield cover and Agdestein being 'one for the future', all four are probably safe as it stands.

Going through that, as we are, I don't see anyone leaving because we don't want them. Of course this could change if/when we sign more players, or if we receive offers for anyone we will then need to replace them.

I don't know how much last season will play in to the squad this season. Will Hoskins going out on loan last season still upset gus? Will the pre-season and full fitness lead to harley contributing more? Will Dicker's form as he came back from a long time out affect his standing this season? These could lead to my appraisals being off a little.

(not included, JFC and youhs like Kasim, Sampayo, Barker etc. who are 'for the future')

Good analysis. Suggests that if Dunk is not with us next year ( sold to Premier League or whatever reason ) we'll need to move fast for a replacement - maybe this is where talk of Miguel of Arsenal on loan comes from.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Good analysis. Suggests that if Dunk is not with us next year ( sold to Premier League or whatever reason ) we'll need to move fast for a replacement - maybe this is where talk of Miguel of Arsenal on loan comes from.
We'll still have Painter, Calde, and Vincelot who can all do a more than competent job at centreback.

I don't see why we need three senior keepers, they are probably less likely than anyone else to be injured or suspended - and if development squad aren't even trusted to maybe have to sit on the bench for a game or two I don't really see the point in having it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't see why we need three senior keepers, they are probably less likely than anyone else to be injured or suspended - and if development squad aren't even trusted to maybe have to sit on the bench for a game or two I don't really see the point in having it.

I suspect it is mainly to do with their (Brez and Ank's) contracts running another year. If either of them had their contracts expire at the end of last season, I imagine they would have gone and we'd have kept Poke or Gonzalez.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lower league club comes in for one of them and they go we will bring in a new third keeper who won't be senior keeper.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
IMO, the players who wouldn't be good enough to give us say a top 3 finish, and also compete in games against the quality players in teams of the ilk of Blackburn, Bolton, Blackpool, Wolves, Leicester & Cardiff would be:

Elphick
Dicker
Ankergren (2 keepers will suffice)
Harley
Bergkamp
Painter

If these 6 were permanently moved on, with 2 or 3 extra quality brought in, the 6 would not be missed in the slightest.

Hoskins? Don't know what to say. Can he come good?
Sparrow - I rate him. The unnecessary sending offs ruined the momentum, when he was starting to play well.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
We'll still have Painter, Calde, and Vincelot who can all do a more than competent job at centreback.

OMG ... Tiny and slow Painter used as a centre-half!!!! Up against Kevin Davies, or Steve Fletcher, or Kevin Phillips, or Glenn Murray, etc. Incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here