Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who is a certain pick when fit?

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
You only put Trossard in your 16! (and remember, you said if available). Certainly wasn't in your 6. For me, he'd be in my
TWO... and not in place of Dunk either.

As i said Trossard could be a nailed on cert but right now even when fit he isnt as others have played well.
He's played a few minutes since you posted this.

Still disagree?

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
He's played a few minutes since you posted this.

Still disagree?
Of course. As i said all along he could easily be a cert. But at the time no way you could say that. For the record i think he is probs our best talent. Mooy was also great during the time Trossard was out. Also think Mooy can compete for a more central roll.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Ryan,Dunk.Stevens,Mooy,Maupay,Trossard,Montoya,Bernardo

Are they certain picks when fit?

I wouldn't place much money that Mooy will get his place back, (it's quite plausible, but it's not nailed on) Montoya is probably ahead as first pick at RB, but you don't see full backs subbed too often, certainly not when the game is in the balance. That says to me that GP wants a chance to get Schellotto on the pitch. Bernardo, well we have no idea whether Potter likes him, but to pick him when he is fit would mean dropping Burn, which again, is possible, but far from a cert.

Trossard and Maupay are making more and more of a convincing case that if fit they are going to be playing whatever the formation or opposition

I'm now saying our dead cert picks whatever the circumstances are Ryan, Webster, Dunk, Stephens, Trossard, Maupay. These 6 are bomb proof. There are 10 vying for selection in the remaining 5 positions.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Assuming all fit and playing 4 at back.
Ryan
Dunk with with Burn,Webster and Balagon competing for other place
Barnado Our best left back
Montoya Our best right back.
Stevens as our only out and out defensive midfielder
Mooy because our best attacking midfielder. Nobody has got near his performance against Spurs and 30mins against Villa
Trossard By far and away our best attacking player
Maupay. Our best central attacker..

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I believe the only dead certs to start if fit for the whole season are Ryan and Dunk. The rest can and probably will be rotated throughout the season dependent on form/formation/tactics.

This. I think GP and team are very astute at picking a team to exploit the identified weaknesses of the opposition.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
This. I think GP and team are very astute at picking a team to exploit the identified weaknesses of the opposition.

Agreed only ones that definitely start for me are. Ryan Dunk Webster Maupay. I think after his performance Saturday Trossard will join them. GP will shuffle full backs to suit when Bernardo fit and giving Schelleto time already. Alzate is our best shout in midfield as he can play anywhere in there. After that it will be rotation as to who we are playing. GP as strength in depth more than any other manager has had and he is good enough to use his squad as and when required. I have great trust in him. He has performed miracles in 10 premier league starts with mostly the same players from last season. If he carries on like this he will be the most important person we hang on to next season.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed only ones that definitely start for me are. Ryan Dunk Webster Maupay. I think after his performance Saturday Trossard will join them. GP will shuffle full backs to suit when Bernardo fit and giving Schelleto time already. Alzate is our best shout in midfield as he can play anywhere in there. After that it will be rotation as to who we are playing. GP as strength in depth more than any other manager has had and he is good enough to use his squad as and when required. I have great trust in him. He has performed miracles in 10 premier league starts with mostly the same players from last season. If he carries on like this he will be the most important person we hang on to next season.
Mostly the same players as last season?

Apart from the not inconsequential additions of Maupay, Webster, Trossard, Mooy - plus Connolly and Alzate. That's half a team!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why have posters got the brakes on Trossard?

What more do you actually need to see from him to warrant 'certain pick'?

I suggest you make the most of him now, cos you're rapidly running out of time, and he's only featured in 4 games.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I agree entirely. I was a Hughton fan, but...….. Mr Bloom was right.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I agree entirely. I was a Hughton fan, but...….. Mr Bloom was right.

I am Hughton fan but there were some very obvious flaws. The main one was not insisting on getting the ball in the danger area quickly, from the wings, when we had the chance. To arrive in the box at the right moment, without being offside, is hard work for the attacking players, if the player delivering the ball doesn't deliver it. When the ball doesn't arrive in the box at the right time the attacking players end up running around in circles waiting for it or they stop bothering trying to anticipate it. Knockeart was a repeat offender of this but the manager should have sorted it out if he wanted to.

The other flaw was a ridged structure where each position stuck to their own zones and specialities whereas all football players should be able to play almost any position on the pitch.

Thirdly unless a player was injured or suspended other good squad players would rarely get off the bench for a whole season or maybe two with reference to Uwe Hunemeier and more recently Burn.

My most confusing moment with Hughton was when in our final game of the season in the playoff, he brought on James Tilley for the last 30 seconds of the game, with no chance of touching the ball. At the time I felt it was like he was sending the apprentice to the shop for a left handed screwdriver.

My most depressing moment is when MOTD pundits laughed at us for not even trying.

There is so much psychology in football and if you are being taught to be cautious and not take any risks, when it comes to the business end of the season and you have to win points to survive, you are not very well practised in going for it or taking chances.

Right now we are trying to play each game as if it was the last of the season and only a win will keep us up, which should prepare us for the important games we have to win at the end of the season.

Under Hughton whilst getting off to good starts we often faded in the second half towards the end of the season for other teams to catch up and even overtake us at the end. Losing the Championship title was a good example of this fade.

The last half of last season was painful for a fan and I can only imagine how painful it must have been for Bloom. Hughton was a very good manager for us and although I was surprised at his departure I wasn't shocked and bought into Potter quickly with some reserved excitement for more exciting football. In the Prem all teams have an obligation to play football because it is supposed to be the best league in the world and parking the bus does not make a very good brand.

Anyway this is only my view and I mean no disrespect to Hughton who also did a great job for us and our Hughton defensive resolve has been useful for Potter to take us forward.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Why have posters got the brakes on Trossard?

What more do you actually need to see from him to warrant 'certain pick'?

I suggest you make the most of him now, cos you're rapidly running out of time, and he's only featured in 4 games.

He wasn’t picked against Watford, didn’t start on Saturday (despite looking match fit) and wouldn’t have suited the formation and tactics against Spurs (although I still argue that this was enforced due to injuries)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I know we've had a separate thread on Gross, but IMHO it would be madness to leave him out given the contributions he is making. So, he remains on my 'certain' list together with Ryan, Dunk, Webster, Stephens and Burn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here