Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who does the cooking in your household?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
70/30 split with me being 70. I love cooking though; I find the whole activity of buying the ingredients, preparation and execution very relaxing and rewarding. I'm not into cooking for big groups though...I just like cooking some nice stuff for me and the Frau.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
We try to split it but in reality my shifts mean I'm rarely here at dinner time in term time so it's mostly my boyfriend cooking for himself. In school holidays its more of a 50:50 split.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I reckon 80/20 with me being the 80. I do the shopping and the cooking and the missus keeps the place clean with a bit of help from both of us on the other's duties.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
I do all the cooking & cleaning as Mrs ludensian has MS .

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We make the conscious effort to both cook the meal together at the same time. Both love cooking and it's a chance to actually talk whilst we do it. I really enjoy that part of my evening.

Also got into the habbit of now sitting down at the table to eat and chat (with Absolute radio on in the background).

We only moved into the house about 15 months ago and soon realised how easy it is to go through an evening barely talking if one person is doing the cooking and then you sit down to watch tv with the food.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
no choice as my wife cant lift pans or bend to take stuff from the oven. Thankfully I am an ok cook and have always done the lion's share anyway. My housework standards are abysmal though so although I suspect the woman on the radio might be surprised by the stats on cooking she would be pleased about female superiority in that area at least. :lol:

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
The chef does the cooking and we always eat at the table, served by our butler Dave.

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
I do it all in our house. One of the few things I'm actually moderately good at and enjoy. Wife does nearly all the DIY/decorating etc so it evens itself out - got to play to your strengths in a partnership:kiss:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
A young black lady in my office was astonished that i, the more male of the couple, did the cooking. She said she didn't know any men who operate in the kitchen. But then of the friends i have remaining, happily married or not, it's always the chap that aprons up and chefs to his delight. Could be a cultural thing in a way in terms of what is seen as masculine or a way in which responsibilities are "standardly" handed out. Or it could be just that one individual's family and friends and i am rounding people up and calling everyone all the same.
I love switching some music on and chopping away sweatily until the culinary concoction is finished to a tee, and the mishaps of the journey there swept away.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It is about a 50/50 split in my house, usually one of us cooks dinner whilst the other puts the boy to bed. I seem to have been delegated any roasts and other meals involving gravy...

ezzoud

Jul 5, 2003
On the, admittedly limited, evidence of this thread sounds like The Today Programme should get some guests on that know what they are tugboating on about rather than ones that are clinging to old fashioned gender stereotypes or am I taking it to personally?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here