Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to win Wimbledon (mens)

Who do you want to win Wimbledon?

• Total voters

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
There's a good article by Rod Liddle in this week's Sunday Times (I'm sure it's online somewhere) where he lists the Christian names of all the British players in this year's Wimbledon and asks where are the Dwaynes and Chardonnays?

Yeah, cos there's loads of Dwaynes and Chardonnays writing for The Sunday Times.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That's simply because Christine Truman was a dog and Maria Bueno wore frilly knickers.

I'm with you there.

65720-004-C7B71FE2.jpg

Bueno was certainly no Kirilenko though, was she.

(there's that trophy for starters)

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
65720-004-C7B71FE2.jpg

Bueno was certainly no Kirilenko though, was she.

(there's that trophy for starters)

Christ she looks like Nursey from Blackadder :sick: Even my prediliction for foreign women wouldn't stretch that far...actually it probably would.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I've just spent two weeks touring Scotland, everyone was friendly and welcoming :bigwave:

that wont fit the resident racisits views on here Notters!!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Thats an unfair bit of revisionism, Goran started strong with an unreturnable serve, but Henman stayed in the match, tired him out and swept the fourth set 6-0. He had him on the rack and Goran was gone. But it got too dark (thanks to the BBC forcing him to be last on centre, and earlier rain-breaks), and they came back to finish the fifth set the next day when Goran was refreshed and his serve became unbreakable again. If not for the British weather and British TV Henman would have become the first British champion since whenever.
Absolutely spot on. Sorry bushy but I expected better of you there - you're not the class war sort. Henman was a quality player who reached world #4 and four grand slam semis. You don't become that good without having a bit of guts and fight.

His "privileged" background wasn't really his fault, but that won't stop the sneering class warrior twats from re-writing history against him, in the same way as they hoped he would lose every game. How very right-on.

Oh, Murray to win please. If he doesn't, he reverts to being a scotch plum.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Absolutely spot on. Sorry bushy but I expected better of you there - you're not the class war sort. Henman was a quality player who reached world #4 and four grand slam semis. You don't become that good without having a bit of guts and fight.

His "privileged" background wasn't really his fault, but that won't stop the sneering class warrior twats from re-writing history against him, in the same way as they hoped he would lose every game. How very right-on.

Oh, Murray to win please. If he doesn't, he reverts to being a scotch plum.
ok mate , hands up, i stand corrected, you're right , his background not his fault, and right on the point about reaching number 4 in the world, i certainly didnt want him to lose every game though, thats reserved for murray !

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The way I see it the priority is to get this "no British winner since Fred Perry" monkey off our backs once and for all because I think it will be good for tennis.

However, once Murray wins it once then the dynamic changes and you'd be hard pushed not to go back to supporting Federer.

Murray is not a bad bloke but he lacks the key qualities that Wimbledon crowds love - Federer's grace, Nadal's tenacity, Borg's calmness under pressure and Nastase's humour.

Whilst we'd all like to see Murray win for Britain, and whilst he'll mellow, I don't think he'll ever have the character that will really endear him to the Wimbledon faithful.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
at least you can laugh at yourself !! i think henmans middle class lack of fight cost him when he had goran ivanisevic on the rack in either the quarters or the semis at wimbledon one year, anyone with a little bit of killer instinct would have won that match.

Wish he had , then Rafter would of had his name on the trophy instead of Ivanisevic .

Go Lleyton !!!!!!!!!!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fair point. Does that not count for Golf as well? Could you say the same the opposite way around e.g. most footballers are (were) working class? Isn't that just the way it is? Tennis / Rugby - middle class sports, Football - working class?

Does it matter?

Just thinking out loud.
Well Nick Faldo certainly didn't have a private golf course, he used to bunk onto his local one same as a lot of us did as kids. But actually your last point is valid - does it matter? Ultimately no, everyone's got different reasons; some supported Henman because he's the same nationality as them, others opposed him because he was an upper-middle class twat - whatever floats your boat.

It's a bit like the Champions' League, there's always discussions as to whether we should support the 'English' clubs just because they're based here. I fully expect to see Simster cheering on Chelsea in Europe next season!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I fully expect to see Simster cheering on Chelsea in Europe next season!
maybe im wrong ,but suspect if we were in the final against a foreign team that wouldnt be too far wide of the mark,i remember in 1999 being determined not to support man utd , but shouting and screaming my head off when both their goals went in............ over to you simster ?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well Nick Faldo certainly didn't have a private golf course, he used to bunk onto his local one same as a lot of us did as kids. But actually your last point is valid - does it matter? Ultimately no, everyone's got different reasons; some supported Henman because he's the same nationality as them, others opposed him because he was an upper-middle class twat - whatever floats your boat.

It's a bit like the Champions' League, there's always discussions as to whether we should support the 'English' clubs just because they're based here. I fully expect to see Simster cheering on Chelsea in Europe next season!

All my points are valid, Brovion. They may not be right, but they are valid. :thumbsup:

Just for the record I supported Henman because he is English, despite the fact that he is an upper-middle class twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here