Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you want to win Wimbledon (mens)

Who do you want to win Wimbledon?

• Total voters

If, once the Albion had been knocked out, Crystal Palace put in a string of superb performances in the FA Cup, or even in the league, would you want them to win the competition?
WHAT? Don't be ridiculous.

Tennis players do play for themselves, but nationality should come into it. If we had a really great English player who got to the final but was maybe just a bit below the best in the world, would you prefer the best in the world to win the tournament?
WHAT?

Even in my distant youth, when Christine Truman was a world class player, I was more captivated by the stylish tennis coming from Maria Bueno.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I support Sussex, England, Britain and Europe in that order, so yes I want Murray to win in the same way as I wanted Lewis Hamilton to win the F1 championship last year or the same way I want us to be world champions in marbles, conkers or dwarf-throwing. But it's not important and if he doesn't win I won't be upset (in same way as I don't give a toss that 'cheater' Hamilton is apparently crap this year).

I'm still GUTTED after the Lions defeat on Saturday, I was upset at the spineless performance of the U21 team last night and if we lose the Ashes it will just about put the tin hat on it. Murray winning Wimbledon will be of absolutely ZERO consolation.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Andy Murray. Patriotism is for simple inadequates, of course. But I like him, in the same way I used to like Jimmy Connors: he's gritty and a great fighter, as he showed last night. The same does apply to Hewitt but he seems a horrible little creep. Plus I think you wouldn't necessarily have to be British to think that a Brit winning a tournament held in Britain for the first time since the 1930s is a great story so I'd love to see that happen.

Sorry

I don't know these people you speak of, I'm afraid.
Christine Truman was English. She won the French title in 1959. She lost to Maria Bueno in the US Championship final in 1959.

And she was the losing finalist at Wimbledon in 1961 - playing against Angela Mortimer (also English). That, of course, was an occasion when NONE of the crowd were there to support a player on the grounds of nationality ... which is my point.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
touring scotland would suggest you went to tourist areas, course they will be friendly and welcoming , its their livelihood.

Well I didn't stay in Govan if that's what you mean.

Govan%20Tower%20Blocks.jpg

But I did chat to locals who didn't work in the tourist industry.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
And she was the losing finalist at Wimbledon in 1961 - playing against Angela Mortimer (also English). That, of course, was an occasion when NONE of the crowd were there to support a player on the grounds of nationality ... which is my point.
I know what you mean. Despite the fact he was English I never really supported Tim Henman on the grounds that he was the physical embodiment of everything I despise about tennis in Britain: snobby middle class **** brought up playing tennis on his parents' private court. Every time he lost to some Eastern European who'd been brought up playing tennis in the middle of some war-torn Balkan slum I'd be pleased - a victory for ordinary people against the massed ranks of wealth, class and privilge.

Embittered old class warrior signing off!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I know what you mean. Despite the fact he was English I never really supported Tim Henman on the grounds that he was the physical embodiment of everything I despise about tennis in Britain: snobby middle class **** brought up playing tennis on his parents' private court. Every time he lost to some Eastern European who'd been brought up playing tennis in the middle of some war-torn Balkan slum I'd be pleased - a victory for ordinary people against the massed ranks of wealth, class and privilge.

Just out of interest, Brovian, if you had been born into a wealthy family and were a talented tennis player, would you have practised your tennis on your parent's private court, or would you have gone to play it in a war-torn Balkan slum?

I'm no Henman fan but it's hardly his fault where he was born.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

at least you can laugh at yourself !! i think henmans middle class lack of fight cost him when he had goran ivanisevic on the rack in either the quarters or the semis at wimbledon one year, anyone with a little bit of killer instinct would have won that match.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just out of interest, Brovian, if you had been born into a wealthy family and were a talented tennis player, would you have practised your tennis on your parent's private court, or would you have gone to play it in a war-torn Balkan slum?

I'm no Henman fan but it's hardly his fault where he was born.
I think you miss the point. No it's not his fault, but the reason why great British tennis players are as rare as great British astronauts is because they are drawn from a very small, almost exclusively middle-class, pool. There's a good article by Rod Liddle in this week's Sunday Times (I'm sure it's online somewhere) where he lists the Christian names of all the British players in this year's Wimbledon and asks where are the Dwaynes and Chardonnays?

Hence my complaint that Henman, through no fault of his own, represented the elitism of Britisn tennis.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
at least you can laugh at yourself !! i think henmans middle class lack of fight cost him when he had goran ivanisevic on the rack in either the quarters or the semis at wimbledon one year, anyone with a little bit of killer instinct would have won that match.

Thats an unfair bit of revisionism, Goran started strong with an unreturnable serve, but Henman stayed in the match, tired him out and swept the fourth set 6-0. He had him on the rack and Goran was gone. But it got too dark (thanks to the BBC forcing him to be last on centre, and earlier rain-breaks), and they came back to finish the fifth set the next day when Goran was refreshed and his serve became unbreakable again. If not for the British weather and British TV Henman would have become the first British champion since whenever.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I think you miss the point. No it's not his fault, but the reason why great British tennis players are as rare as great British astronauts is because they are drawn from a very small, almost exclusively middle-class, pool. There's a good article by Rod Liddle in this week's Sunday Times (I'm sure it's online somewhere) where he lists the Christian names of all the British players in this year's Wimbledon and asks where are the Dwaynes and Chardonnays?

Hence my complaint that Henman, through no fault of his own, represented the elitism of Britisn tennis.

Fair point. Does that not count for Golf as well? Could you say the same the opposite way around e.g. most footballers are (were) working class? Isn't that just the way it is? Tennis / Rugby - middle class sports, Football - working class?

Does it matter?

Just thinking out loud.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here