Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Ben Jacobs is full of s**t tho, seriously.
"After promotion to the top flight, Ipswich have displayed their ambition to stay up by offering McKenna a contract that will make him one of the highest-paid managers in England." Jacob Steinberg in the Guardian.

Widely reported that he's going to be somewhere around the fifth highest paid manager in the country.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Just came across another name on Rydstrom thread which seems quite an interesting typical left field Bloom/Barber appointment...Jacob Neestrup FC Copenhagen. Sorry if been mentioned b4 but thought it was more us than others mentioned.

Saw this on Twitter earlier...
Screenshot_20240530-154403~2.png

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
"After promotion to the top flight, Ipswich have displayed their ambition to stay up by offering McKenna a contract that will make him one of the highest-paid managers in England." Jacob Steinberg in the Guardian.

Widely reported that he's going to be somewhere around the fifth highest paid manager in the country.

Without any rational reason I have taken a dislike to McKenna and in true irrational football fan fashion, I hope he gets relegated this season…..unless of course he turns out to be Bloom’s latest rabbit out of the hat :smile:

I am still holding out for Gallardo until it doesn’t happen

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Without any rational reason I have taken a dislike to McKenna and in true irrational football fan fashion, I hope he gets relegated this season…..unless of course he turns out to be Bloom’s latest rabbit out of the hat :smile:

I am still holding out for Gallardo until it doesn’t happen
Me too, got a funny feeling about it happening.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

If everyone in the EPL makes at least £100 million in prize money per season and Ipswich think that he's key to their chances of staying up, paying him £5m or so a year seems reasonable. However, it presumably cuts into their player budget and they'll have immediate business to do. Not only have they made the step up, but they have 14 players who are returning to parent clubs or are out of contract at the end of June and another six who are in their final year: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/kader/verein/677/saison_id/2023/plus/1. They need to do a lot of business very quickly and, although the first move seems a sound one, it may have an impact on the expectations of others.

If McKenna doesn't turn out to be the asset they believe him to be and the US owners get the standard EPL wobble and replace him with an old relegation dodger, then his deal could be a future millstone that continues to cost them for some years after relegation. Presumably, they valued his importance to them higher than we did to us. A newly promoted team would perhaps have less confidence in their ability to attract alternatives of similar standing than a team that has so recently played in Europe might.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
We could, but we didn't get to that profit by blowing big money on risky signings. Tony is all about value, and McKenna is very clearly overvalued at £5m/yr.
I don’t see how he can be overvalued at £5m a year. That’s less than we paid RDZ and all he has to achieve for all that talent is a couple of places higher in the PL table and we would pretty much break even!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was more referencing Gallardo
Gallardo would be incredible, and that's why I have a strong feeling it won't happen!

As ever, I admire your positivity.
If there is any chance of Gallardo, it won't happen quickly. As I posted on the other thread, he's back in Argentina for the funeral of his long time friend and agent.

Neestrup sounds interesting: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/h...-copenhagen-2022-23-tactical-analysis-tactics

I see the words 'bait the press' and 'quite similar to Brighton's set up under Roberto De Zerbi' there. Only 36 though. I do feel old.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I don’t see how he can be overvalued at £5m a year. That’s less than we paid RDZ and all he has to achieve for all that talent is a couple of places higher in the PL table and we would pretty much break even!
No it isn't. It's been reported that it's at least twice what we were paying RDZ.

Which is also the point, RDZ was very good value for the money.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have a feeling the much quoted from PB that they have somebody ready to step into any position may not come to fruition this time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Have a feeling the much quoted from PB that they have somebody ready to step into any position may not come to fruition this time.
But you clearly don't think we keep someone in the cupboard ready to go at all times do you? You are aware that what he means is that we have a list of who we might want at any time and there is NEVER a guarantee for any club - worldwide - that they will get their number one choice. Eg Bayern Munich getting their 8th choice. I despair at the simplicity with which some people think the world operates.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I like what I've seen of QPR's Marti Cifuentes.
Although I'm sure we wouldn't have signed up for a pre-season friendly at Loftus Road if we were about to nick him.
His time will come with someone bigger than the mighty R's..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
But you clearly don't think we keep someone in the cupboard ready to go at all times do you? You are aware that what he means is that we have a list of who we might want at any time and there is NEVER a guarantee for any club - worldwide - that they will get their number one choice. Eg Bayern Munich getting their 8th choice. I despair at the simplicity with which some people think the world operates.
THIS!

There are far too many variables involved to guarantee you will get your 1st or even 2nd or 3rd choice.

We have a list of potential candidates who might fit and we would be interested in and then when the time comes we work our way through that. RDZ being out of work last time was incredibly fortunate, that will hardly ever happen.

IF Mckenna has been at the top of our list for the past few months, even if we knew we were going to be replacing RDZ, there is no way we could have known that by the end of May, Ipswich would be promoted and that Chelsea and probably Man Utd would also be looking for a new manager.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If there is any chance of Gallardo, it won't happen quickly. As I posted on the other thread, he's back in Argentina for the funeral of his long time friend and agent.

Neestrup sounds interesting: https://totalfootballanalysis.com/h...-copenhagen-2022-23-tactical-analysis-tactics

I see the words 'bait the press' and 'quite similar to Brighton's set up under Roberto De Zerbi' there. Only 36 though. I do feel old.
I LOVED watching Copenhagen against Man U.

Mainly because I was in a severely altered state in an Amsterdam Irish Bar full of Brighton fans cheering loudly at every Man United mishap and two barmen who were SO pissed off I'd have laid money on them being United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here