Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who do you want to become our new manager?

Who will become our next manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 102 15.5%
  • Kieran McKenna

Votes: 161 24.5%
  • Rob Edwards

Votes: 38 5.8%
  • Vincent Kompany

Votes: 42 6.4%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Kjetil Knutsen

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • Liam Rosenior

Votes: 25 3.8%
  • Adam Lallana

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Gareth Southgate

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Mark McGhee

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 16 2.4%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 166 25.3%

• Total voters

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Beat me to it.

beat me to it. Looks like PB has dropped the ball here. Believing his own hype?
I tend to agree. Fed up of hearing him go on about Succession planning to Talkshite, Jake Humprey etc. Yes, yes, we don't really know (to everyone gagging to write that back) but KM was a logical fit.

PB said we were ready to execute this plan at his press conference after RDZ left. Is this what 'executing' looks like?!! He hasn't been able to convince KM and now we're briefing that we're relaxed and happy to wait for the 'right appointment'. All a bit of a mess if you ask me but hopefully an opportunity will arise from somewhere.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
I know there are other candidates, but realistically, as the club is unlikely to stick its neck out and be the first to risk Relationism football in the Premier League, there are 2 main (and jobless) candidates. Which would you prefer?
:fishing: ;)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If the Jeff Swelling comment is accurate, I can't help feel that McKenna had given us a pretty clear (but informal) indication he'd come. I wonder if all the bluster around Chelsea and United made him reconsider everything about his next step (whilst bagging himself a massive pay rise).
According to Alex Crook you are spot on.
I think it's quite funny that people are now painting his decision to stay as great for the game and one of loyalty to Ipswich. He's going to better paid than both Marco Silva and Eddie Howe ffs. He'll be on almost 5 times as much as RDZ was by all accounts... Kieran McKenna will only really have one direction to improve his career wage wise; the big clubs.

It's got next to nothing to do with loyalty. We all know he's happy enough at Ipswich, and now they're willing to pay him more than anyone at the club has ever been paid in any capacity to keep him. It's an easy decision.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Absolutely no. Not bright enough at all (from what I've seen). We can't have those folk up the road managed by Glasner (next manager of Bayern/Germany etc), West Ham Lopetetgui (former Spain and Madrid coach), Bournemouth Iraoloa (all kind of rivals right now) and we're giving to gig to Andrew bloody Crofts. He can stay for continuity but absolutely no way is Joao Pedro and Mitoma (for example) wanting to be managed by Andrew Crofts. Chris alive. Let Martin Hinshelwood be a warning to anyone that way inclined.
Chris Coleman fits that description

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I tend to agree. Fed up of hearing him go on about Succession planning to Talkshite, Jake Humprey etc. Yes, yes, we don't really know (to everyone gagging to write that back) but KM was a logical fit.

PB said we were ready to execute this plan at his press conference after RDZ left. Is this what 'executing' looks like?!! He hasn't been able to convince KM and now we're briefing that we're relaxed and happy to wait for the 'right appointment'. All a bit of a mess if you ask me but hopefully an opportunity will arise from somewhere.
I hope we're wrong but it's not just the Manager where the 'Contingency Plan' has not lived up to the Hype.

This/last season it's either not been there or let us down for;

The departure of Caicedo/Mac/Colwill
The departure of our medical team early on in the season.
The departure of Sam Jewell

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
According to Alex Crook you are spot on.
I agree absolutely with that poster. I think McKenna saw us as the logical next step, do well for two/three years then join one of the big boys. Then he realised if he has one good season with Ipswich he can leapfrog us and go straight to the big boys. Cut out the middleman (us). Chelsea and Man United interest has screwed us here.

I don’t know but I suspect they were looking for a Hughton to Potter speed of transition when they announced RDZ leaving and now are scabbling.

I would honestly rather then went back to RDZ and found an agreement rather than appoint the wrong person.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Don't quite understand such negative reaction to Cooper.. Remember Forest was a basket case for recruitment and Cooper I thought handled that pretty well having been successful in getting them up. Nuno didn't really get much of reaction from the team in terms of performance (Gut feel, not stat based!), and I thought the style of play, two quick wide men, off a central striker was pretty entertaining to watch vs. others, such as Everton, Palace (bar last 5 games) and even Wolves to a lesser extent. I guess I didn't really see anything in his PL tenure that was a huge concern, and prior to that he may just have had a better CV compared to Potter when we took him.
I agree. If he looked like Luis Enrique everyone would be much happier with him

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
The fact that Barber knew him from his Spurs time (and got him work in Vancouver) suggests that there must have been some kind of informal chat prior to RDZ leaving, giving the club the idea that it would be a formality. Plus, Alex Crook tweeted out immediately after the RDZ announcement to expect things to move quickly with McKenna. Barber has really got this one wrong - either McKenna was never really that interested or he was, but didn't like what he heard when they met to discuss the role?
Or…got offered a shed load more cash than we were offering by Ipswich. It’s football, the answer is usually about $$$$

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Or…got offered a shed load more cash than we were offering by Ipswich. It’s football, the answer is usually about $$$$

If we really wanted him, we could easily salary match and offer a bigger transfer spend.

Screenshot_20240530-141121~2.png

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I hope we're wrong but it's not just the Manager where the 'Contingency Plan' has not lived up to the Hype.

We seem to have become a stepping stone club for literally every position and role within the club. Praps offering something a little more lucrative to retain our talent, could have just an positive outcome as this so called 'succession plan' which seems to be running dry. Let's be honest, bar Bloom and PBOBE, it has been a little rediculous the amount of movement across the club over the past 18 months against a backdrop of record Premier League profits.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think it's quite funny that people are now painting his decision to stay as great for the game and one of loyalty to Ipswich. He's going to better paid than both Marco Silva and Eddie Howe ffs. He'll be on almost 5 times as much as RDZ was by all accounts... Kieran McKenna will only really have one direction to improve his career wage wise; the big clubs.

It's got next to nothing to do with loyalty. We all know he's happy enough at Ipswich, and now they're willing to pay him more than anyone at the club has ever been paid in any capacity to keep him. It's an easy decision.

Ben Jacobs is full of s**t tho, seriously.

Coldwaltham Seagull

Mar 8, 2024
If we really wanted him, we could easily salary match and offer a bigger transfer spend.

View attachment 183217
By no means an expert but not sure this tells the whole story- also aware the Twitter user you've got this from seems to be a City fan so potential for some bias there?

I would hazard a guess that just because we could, doesn't mean we should and that our 'headroom' could disappear quite quickly dependent on numerous factors

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk

Colwill was never ours and it probably would not have taken much for him to stay at Cha-Ching-sea.
Alex had agreed terms before the end of the season so gave a good notice period.
I confess I was disappointed with Moises's departure not the fact that he went more the manner really, maybe buddies with Levi.
I am fairly confident that there was depth in the medical team and that has been improved.
Sam Jewell will, I guess, have signed a none disclosure agreement so the promotion from within.

I have confidence in the TB/PBOBE process and the fact that a new manager has not yet been appointed (not yet 2 weeks) to some may indicate the system has broken to others it may mean that the process is thorough and the system is working as it should.

Attributed to Churchill: "A pessimist sees the challenge in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every challenge"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here