Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who do you want to be England manager?

Who do you want as the next England manager?

• Graham Potter

Votes: 119 34.2%
  • Lee Carsley

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Eddie Howe

Votes: 43 12.4%
  • Mauricio Pochettino

Votes: 14 4.0%
  • Jurgen Klopp

Votes: 87 25.0%
  • Frank Lampard

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Gary O'Neil

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steven Gerrard

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Michael Carrick

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Pep Guardiola

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sean Dyche

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Emma Hayes

• Kieran McKenna

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Sarina Wiegman

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Steve Cooper

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Steve Holland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Frank

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Wayne Rooney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So wide of the mark, Potter can pick his own squad and not have it picked for him, he will pick the right personalities and balance, he is a winner and has had enough time to reflect on Chelsea.
He also knows what pressure is like. Maybe some are still just vindictive about him, he didn't hurt us at all, he just improved us by a country mile compared to the what Chris was capable of.
I hope he can remember what to do after 18 months on the sofa with his boots going mouldy.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Perfect job for Eddie Who
He will take it and tow the company line and his lickspittle chum will join him as a ramped up Bobby Bouchet type assistant,I think he'd do rather well as it happens.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Klopp

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Only one man for the job!

The great Alan Latchley

TNBA

TTF

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.06.42.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-16 at 12.06.42.png
    2 MB · Views: 23

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Southgate has resigned, so who do we want as the next England manager?

Klopp

Make it happen
If it could be Klopp, that would be my choice too, but Rob Dorsett on Sky saying one member of FA panel is a big fan and supporter of Pochetino.

I dont think it can be Tuchel, even though hes interested. He may be a winner, but I think he's wrong personality type and the team cohesion thing is massive and should be maintained.

Smug, Potter or Carsley?

The more I read about Carsley yesterday, after pretty much knowing nothing managerially, he could actually be pretty decent?, a very deep thinker and other coaches stating how tactically advanced he is, plus a lot more positive approach.

Potter I'm sure could be a tactical upgrade on Southgate, and would make better in game decisions, but I'm not sure he could handle the pressure, nor would he get a particularly long honeymoon period. He looked like a rabbit in headlights at Chelsea, and in interviews looked totally out of his depth.
The pressure of the England job is levels higher, is it beyond him? The ideal candidate would probably be Southgates ambassador / PR role and Potters coaching, but they both have the opposite strength and weakness.

That leaves Smug, he is tactically astute, young, hardworking and probably could deal with the pressure better than Potter.

Right Brain Ronnie

Feb 20, 2023
North of North
I admit I enjoyed his failure at Chelsea after they completely filleted us when he left, but I don't bear him any grudges now. I just don't believe he has the chops for a job this big, it would chew him up. He'd still be picking most if not all of our gilded superstars, he can't just pick a team of "nice blokes" now can he.

As for him being a winner - sorry, what has he won ?

He done well in Sweden he took us to a different level and style that No Brighton fan had ever experienced, he got his decision wrong when going to Chelsea probably why he didnt go for Ajax, he has learned what not to do, but I would hazard a guess he would be fully motivated to take on the England job.

I don't think he will pick nice blokes, I think he will pick ones that do care and listen to what is asked of them, he demands respect which is key.

Southgate got the England job with next to nothing in experience to Southgate 190 games as manager, so he was pretty green let's say.
Potter has managed at all levels internationally and done 466 games to date.
He has had adequate rest to regain full focus and he is English, on paper he has to be the perfect choice, doesn't he?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
If the assumption is Potter wants to return to management (he has no need financially to ever work again) then I think that he has apparantly turned down so many jobs both here and in Europe for there not to be something big bubbling away behind the scenes. Southgate was always likley to leave after this Euros so I am of the opinion the FA have already said to GP, hang fire, your in line for when GS leaves.

I dont think the FA will go for a non English manager again, and of the English candidates the only likley ones are Smug Eddie or GP. Lampard, Rooney, simply have not delivered at club level in ny meaningful way. Steve Cooper possibly but again he hasnt set the Prem alight

The FA may surprise us and go for a dynamic attack minded manager willing to take risks-but that would be very unlike them

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
We have had some really awful England Managers Capello, P Taylor, G Taylor, Revie, Greenwood,keegan,McClaren, Hoddle, Hodgson, Allerdice, in fact we have only had one successful manager ie actually won something Sir Alf we had a few quite successful managers Southgate, Venables, B Robson plus Erickson who really should have done better with the talent available.

Southgate leaving means statistically we are likely to enter a period of uncertainty I can genuinely think of an English manager who would be good enough and after Erickson and Capello I thought we would never risk that conflict of interests again so the names I have are Eddie Howe, Steve Cooper, Sean Dyche, Graham Potter all of whom in my opinion are not right for the job.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He done well in Sweden he took us to a different level and style that No Brighton fan had ever experienced, he got his decision wrong when going to Chelsea probably why he didnt go for Ajax, he has learned what not to do, but I would hazard a guess he would be fully motivated to take on the England job.

I don't think he will pick nice blokes, I think he will pick ones that do care and listen to what is asked of them, he demands respect which is key.

Southgate got the England job with next to nothing in experience to Southgate 190 games as manager, so he was pretty green let's say.
Potter has managed at all levels internationally and done 466 games to date.
He has had adequate rest to regain full focus and he is English, on paper he has to be the perfect choice, doesn't he?
Southgate had plenty of experience at Boro who he got relegated, but far more importantly than Potters rise with a small club in a Mickey Mouse league, is Southgate was in the FA since 2011, five years as a coach and U21 manager, knowing the culture, the way things work, St Georges Park etc. Potter doesnt have any of that. Southgate was more qualified for International management in 2016, than Potter is in 2024.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
We have had some really awful England Managers Capello, P Taylor, G Taylor, Revie, Greenwood,keegan,McClaren, Hoddle, Hodgson, Allerdice, in fact we have only had one successful manager ie actually won something Sir Alf we had a few quite successful managers Southgate, Venables, B Robson plus Erickson who really should have done better with the talent available.

Southgate leaving means statistically we are likely to enter a period of uncertainty I can genuinely think of an English manager who would be good enough and after Erickson and Capello I thought we would never risk that conflict of interests again so the names I have are Eddie Howe, Steve Cooper, Sean Dyche, Graham Potter all of whom in my opinion are not right for the job.
Hoddle should be nowhere near that list, most players of that generation say he was the very best tactical coach they worked under and could see things nobody else could, he lost his job not because he was a poor coach/manager, but by crazy quack comments about faith healing

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it could be Klopp, that would be my choice too, but Rob Dorsett on Sky saying one member of FA panel is a big fan and supporter of Pochetino.

Poch is not a bad option, but I'd prefer Klopp.

I dont think it can be Tuchel, even though hes interested. He may be a winner, but I think he's wrong personality type and the team cohesion thing is massive and should be maintained.

Absolutely no to Tuchel. As you say, the team spirit has to be maintained.

Smug, Potter or Carsley?

The more I read about Carsley yesterday, after pretty much knowing nothing managerially, he could actually be pretty decent?, a very deep thinker and other coaches stating how tactically advanced he is, plus a lot more positive approach.

I don't know enough about Carsley. Potter would be an improvement on Gareth. Same with Smug, but he's under contract.

But my preference, by a distance, is Klopp. Excellent with players, excellent with the media, good tactically, and knows the English game and players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here