Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who do you think was to blame for the Germany goal?

Who do you think is responsible?

• Mainly John Terry

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Mainly Scott Carson

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • About 50/50

Votes: 20 19.4%
  • Helmes

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Was it not David Coleman Harty?

Don't think so, BBC and ITV did odds and evens on the England/Scotland years

Coleman did the 5-1 drubbing at Wembley in 1975 so 1976 would have been ITV, so that's why I'm pretty sure it was Hugh Johns. (used to work with a Jock who quoted it verbatim)

Having said that I can't remember what I had for tea on Tuesday...........

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Watching it live it seemed to be Terry who was at fault for not smashing it away into touch, but seeing a replay from the other end you can clearly see Carson standing still flat footed goal side of the penalty box and appeared to react to late when the ball (for about the only time in the match) held up on the pitch

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Watching it live it seemed to be Terry who was at fault for not smashing it away into touch, but seeing a replay from the other end you can clearly see Carson standing still goal side of the penalty box and appeared to react to late when the ball (for about the only time in the match) held up on the pitch

Did Carson shout though? I thought defenders cleared the ball unless the keeper bellows 'keeeeeeepeeeeeeers. If Carson didnt shout then Terry should have cleared it.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
erm neither of them scored it so ile plump for the guy that put them both under pressure and scored it. Call me ole fashanu anawl that

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It's difficult to apportion absolute blame when we don't know if Carson called it for him to collect, or for Terry to give it Row Z, or if he called at all.

If he called it for him to collect it was 100% his fault because he got his timing to get to the ball all wrong. The ball was still outside the area when the pass-back became too dangerous.

If he called JT to clear, it was JT's fault.

If he didn't call at all the blame is 50/50.

IMO.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I must admist I have always felt he is a bit overrated. His 'English style' is what people rate...not his overall ability. Better to be blood and guts than talented.

There are better centre backs than John Terry that can play for England. My first choice pairing would be Woodgate and Ferdinand

Terry is just a bully, and his game is bullying the opposition. The officials in the Premiership let it slip because he is England captain and plays for Chelsea.

When he plays internationals or Champions League, the referees are not from England, so his bullying is picked up straight away, they even blow up for fouls for mis-timed tackles and raising your foot, so when this happens, John Terrys game is taken away, and he looks average

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
1. Carson should have been telling Terry to clear it as he can see what's going on behind him

2. It was easier for Carson to be decisive and clear everyone out - including the ball - than for Terry to reverse-hoof it away

3. The front on view shows clearly that Carson was on his heels and generally doing nothing,

Therefore, Carson's fault. Don't let that get in the way of a bit of John Terry bashing though - it's not like he scored a winning goal against Germany or anything.......

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Did Carson shout though? I thought defenders cleared the ball unless the keeper bellows 'keeeeeeepeeeeeeers. If Carson didnt shout then Terry should have cleared it.

Carson didnt look ready and porbably didnt shout so Terry should have cleared, but Carson should have seen the danger earlier but appear to react late

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
When the ball came through, both Upson and Terry just pointed at the keeper, Terry then decided to go back and head it to Carson, Carson didnt come out, and Terry didnt head it.

Terry should have cleared it, or Carson stayed on his line. Then it wouldnt have happened.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Terry but he'll get over it

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Terry everyday day of the week, should have smaked the ball into the stand but instead he dallied, good of him to admit it i suppose. Shows that most football journos have never played the game when they blame Carson

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Look, between them they BOTH managed to f*** it up. It was a case of "after you Claude". Neither of them dealt with it. They are both equally culpable.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Calamity James, Carse the Farce, Misses Robinson.

Herr Tubthumper can barely manage to contain his glee as he still manages to wring some negatives from England's overwhelmingly positive 2009.

Just think, when we turn Spain over 3-1 in February, you can go on and on about the goal we conceded! Bet you can't wait! (Laugh if you want but I correctly predicted a big win against Croatia and got the Half Time and Full Time scores spot on regarding Belarus.)

Sorry.....just fed up of the boring negativity. We've got the players. We've got the manager. I'm not saying we should WIN anything but we definitely should be competing in...say...the top 6 teams in the world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper can barely manage to contain his glee as he still manages to wring some negatives from England's overwhelmingly positive 2009.

Just think, when we turn Spain over 3-1 in February, you can go on and on about the goal we conceded! Bet you can't wait! (Laugh if you want but I correctly predicted a big win against Croatia and got the Half Time and Full Time scores spot on regarding Belarus.)

Sorry.....just fed up of the boring negativity. We've got the players. We've got the manager. I'm not saying we should WIN anything but we definitely should be competing in...say...the top 6 teams in the world.

3-1, Spain, Mellotron. I've made a not in my diary ;)

I'll take you up on this bet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Come on, it's hardly a secret I have little interest in England and find them overpaid and overated and technically deficient. I'm willing to pop my head above the ramparts today and admit England were the better team. I even got a text from Unkle Buck the second the final whistle went. He must have been waiting years to send that as i've not had a text from him in about 7 years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Come on, it's hardly a secret I have little interest in England and find them overpaid and overated. I'm willing to pop my head above the ramparts today and admit England were the better team. I even got a text from Unkle Buck the second the final whistle went. He must have been waiting years to send that as i've not had a text from him in about 7 years.

You clearly have more than a "little interest". You post in every England thread going, you're always one I encounter.

Who overrates them? Except morons who think we have a divine right to win things. I never overrated the last 8 years of England mediocrity. A number of times it was 'close, but not quite enough' and we probably haven't deserved to win anything in that time.

But with Capello on board (and some tactical and TECHNICAL nous being shown) I really think there is cause for cautious optimism, don't you?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
P.S. The incredulity over Owen's ommission seems to have gone. What happened there?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'll admit that ITV were going WAY overboard in praising England last night. It was a GOOD performance by a weakened England team against a weakened (and very poor) Germany team, not amazing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here