Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who Did You Come To Watch Yesterday

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't think Matthews did play against us at the Goldstone Ground, the timeline isn't quite right. When Matthews returned to Stoke in 1961 he didn't join them until September and his last Blackpool game came a coupe of days after our home game with Stoke. He probably played in the game at Stoke later that season but we were relegated that season and didn't play Stoke again until long after Stan had retired so I can't see him having played at the Goldstone.

I can't argue with that. I remember there was excitement prior to a game with someone (I always thought it was Stoke) with Matthews appearing, but it could have been an away game or it could have been in advance of an appearance that he didn't eventually make. My memory has a bit of a life of its own.

I wonder of any of the old timers know for sure. [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] is ten years my senior....

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Coach park post match the United fans singing 'only here for Ronaldo' at the Albion fans who turn up every game.
But yes, Ronnie was a priority for me and would have loved to see his free kick start going south, twist in the air, do a double loop, cannon off the lights, hit the camera, and finally crash into the net bringing down the entire goal into a heap. Ronnie leaps into the air and stands milking the applause as the lino puts up his flag. Instead he was just another player oozing class amongst a team of exceptional players who sadly cant play as a team and are led by a manager with weeks left on his contract.

POST MATCH CAMERA
Saw it live and on the TV when I got home. The mobile camera at the final whistle went straight to CR7 and followed him down the tunnel. Didn't go after any of our players. Indeed, even when we scored they showed CR7 more than our players.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We were excited about the game because for various reasons it's been a while. Walking to the station we had ths conversation:

My daughter: So who are we playing?
Me: (brief pause as i try to remember) Man United
D: Oh. OK.
Pause.
Me: So that means we'll see Ronaldo live.
D: Oh. (pause) That's quite cool actually.
Me: It is.

Then we got on with going to the game. Which turned out to be quite good.

Sums up my feelings on it.

There to watch the albion.
It was cool to have seen him play.
Glad he didn't produce anything of note.

I was talking to some United "fans" on the way back.
They travel to a lot of away games, and pay up to £400 a ticket.

Can you imagine, having paid £400 for that!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have seen Best, Pele, Maradonna, and now Ronaldo first hand.

Best, was, well, the best, Ronaldo the least impressive.

I have now seen Farrington, Smith (P), Minton and now Ronaldo first hand.

Ronaldo the least impressive.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I was certainly only at game as a ST holder but it is always good to see great players. Compared to many others like Pogba was impressed with Ronaldo. Worked very hard all across front line plus chased back on defensive duties. Just a pity for him they are a lot of individuals and not a team.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
That must have been around 1963? I have a mate who is a sort of Stoke fan and I have repeatedly told him that Stan played for them at the Goldstone in the early 60s. I read about it in a piece by John Vinnicombe.

There again...it could have all been made up...

Sounds about right. I'm guessing it would be 63/64 season, as Dad would have left school and started working in Brighton by then.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
3 Utd fans next to me somehow.... 2 left when the 3rd went in. The other guy stuck it out fair play to him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went to watch Cucerellas hair….. nothing else

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Delighted to have seen Ronaldo play in the flesh and said before the game that I wouldn't begrudge him a consolation screamer once Brighton were 5-0 up. For quite a long time during the match I actually thought this prediction would come true.

Part of the appeal of being promoted to the Prem was to see some of the world's best players perform at the Amex – remember that first half performance by Eden Hazard in our first EPL season? Of course we all want nothing but a Brighton win but as football fans it's great to see the skills of players like that.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Great to see a full stadium yesterday, but it set me wondering who did the people in the usual empty seats come to see. For me it was Brighton first, we could have been playing Oldham, I would have been there. Then Ronaldo, the same as I would always like to see the greats in the game, then thirdly Man U as per my first point. Anyone disagree?

Could not be bothered to go as we are on holiday

However did watch in an Irish bar with lots of new found BHA admirers.

ESU seats refund processed today.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Don't understand people saying they weren't fussed about seeing Ronaldo. He's either the greatest player ever, or the 2nd greatest player ever. How often do we get to see players like this play against Brighton? It doesn't make you any less of a fan to admit Ronaldo is a reason that you made sure not to miss this one.

I have a mate who is a Liverpool fan (Moved down South as an Adult but spent his childhood going to Anfield with his Dad etc). His 8 year old son is also a Liverpool fan but they come to the Amex 6 or 7 times a season to watch some Premier League football and are (particularly his son) slowly getting the Albion bug. On the train to the ground on Saturday they got chatting to some decent 60-something Utd fans, and admitted that this was a game they had always earmarked because his son wanted to see Ronaldo play live. One of the Utd fans said it had made his day that Utd have a player like this that young kids want to come and see, and gave his son £20 and said buy yourself a Ronaldo scarf to remember the day by. Lovely touch. My mate's son took the money and then asked the guy if he could spend it on something else as he's actually a Liverpool fan and doesn't want a Ronaldo scarf at all.:lolol::lolol:

They took it well apparently.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
and gave his son £20 and said buy yourself a Ronaldo scarf to remember the day by. Lovely touch. My mate's son took the money and then asked the guy if he could spend it on something else as he's actually a Liverpool fan and doesn't want a Ronaldo scarf at all.

That's scousers for you

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't understand people saying they weren't fussed about seeing Ronaldo. He's either the greatest player ever, or the 2nd greatest player ever. How often do we get to see players like this play against Brighton? It doesn't make you any less of a fan to admit Ronaldo is a reason that you made sure not to miss this one.
This

The game at OT fell nicely in the calendar so we went up.
Sure it was good for Jnr to tick off OT, and we were then playing well enough for the possibility of it being an 'I was there' game.
But the primary reason was because Jnr's a CR7 fanboy and I didn't even get to Trafford in the 'do you want to go' question before a very excited 'yes' was shouted back at me.

The fact we watched him again on Saturday.
Get played off the pitch.
&
Humbled by the Albion pretty much ices the cake.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I don't like Ronaldo as a player ( can't speak as to if he's a decent human being as I don't know him personally ) nor the team he plays for but losing a baby is far and away above any importance of a football match. If there had been applause on 7 minutes then I would have joined in.

I hear what you’re saying, but the suggestion I saw was purely to recognise him as a player. Had it been about the baby loss, I would have seen it differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here