Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Who Did You Come To Watch Yesterday

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took my camera in the hope of catching a disconsolate Ronny. I certainly managed that :lolol:

I will post some pictures... if I can be bothered.

Oh, and in my bit of West Upper it looked slightly less packed than usual. I have every respect for those who have important shopping to do. And that.

Thanks to [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] for updating on the enormous attendancely manky bonus. Big up to the South(Moss Side)Wick possum*, and his mate from Lancing.

*Possum is the singular of posse. Fact.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was looking forward to seeing Ronaldo, though that was secondary to just watching the Albion.

My Dad mentioned having seen Stanley Matthews playing for Stoke back in the day, so I guess this sort of thing isn't new.

That must have been around 1963? I have a mate who is a sort of Stoke fan and I have repeatedly told him that Stan played for them at the Goldstone in the early 60s. I read about it in a piece by John Vinnicombe.

There again...it could have all been made up...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I won't start a thread on it but when was the last time 'we' all lost our shit over the glamour of the opposition?

For me it was Chelsea in some cup competition around 1967, although I'm referring to the gushing weaselry in the Anus, rather than what I thought about it all. After that they could all **** off as far as I was concerned. Overpaid ponces. The lot of them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anyone who went along to see one of the all time greats was in luck, Caicedo played the full match. Ronaldo was shit.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Cucurella, Caceido, Bissouma, Trossard, Dunk etc. We came, we saw, we conquered.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I didn’t get there because we had to turn back on the journey and watch it on the TV.

But only interested in the Albion and what I hoped we would do….. which we did in spades.

I hated the idea someone floated of a minute’s applause for Ronaldo on 7 minutes - why do anything to encourage the opposition, and I enjoyed his/their humiliation.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Just like every other game I go to, I went to watch the Albion. Not even remotely interested in Ronaldo, in fact other than when he was getting things wrong I didn't even notice he was on the pitch.
Our players on the other hand were magnificent.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I hated the idea someone floated of a minute’s applause for Ronaldo on 7 minutes - why do anything to encourage the opposition, and I enjoyed his/their humiliation.

I don't like Ronaldo as a player ( can't speak as to if he's a decent human being as I don't know him personally ) nor the team he plays for but losing a baby is far and away above any importance of a football match. If there had been applause on 7 minutes then I would have joined in.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That must have been around 1963? I have a mate who is a sort of Stoke fan and I have repeatedly told him that Stan played for them at the Goldstone in the early 60s. I read about it in a piece by John Vinnicombe.

Can't be arsed to look it up on Wikipedia but didn't Stanley Matthews play into his late forties? Would make the early 1960's a possibility...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

I don't think Matthews did play against us at the Goldstone Ground, the timeline isn't quite right. When Matthews returned to Stoke in 1961 he didn't join them until September and his last Blackpool game came a coupe of days after our home game with Stoke. He probably played in the game at Stoke later that season but we were relegated that season and didn't play Stoke again until long after Stan had retired so I can't see him having played at the Goldstone.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Always come to watch the Albion, but tend to look out for ex Albion players playing for our opponents.

Saturday there weren't any :shrug:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have seen Best, Pele, Maradonna, and now Ronaldo first hand.

Best, was, well, the best, Ronaldo the least impressive.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
We were excited about the game because for various reasons it's been a while. Walking to the station we had ths conversation:

My daughter: So who are we playing?
Me: (brief pause as i try to remember) Man United
D: Oh. OK.
Pause.
Me: So that means we'll see Ronaldo live.
D: Oh. (pause) That's quite cool actually.
Me: It is.

Then we got on with going to the game. Which turned out to be quite good.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Can't be arsed to look it up on Wikipedia but didn't Stanley Matthews play into his late forties? Would make the early 1960's a possibility...

50!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here