Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who could embezzle the most from work...?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Bozza said:
...but AU$12m is about £2.78. As we take great delight in pointing out to our Aussie colleagues whenever the opportunity arises.

Acutally about £5m GBP if you want to take the piss Bozza...

This was about 18 years ago too...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
tedebear said:
Acutally about £5m GBP if you want to take the piss Bozza...

Indeed I do.

Actually a strong Aussie dollar is in my interest as all my company is listed on the ASX. A £1 = AU$1 rate would do very nicely indeed for the shares I have.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A colleague of mine was caught last year, having basically written cheques to himself to the value of £170,000 over the last three years. He had to pay it all back, and got a two-year jail sentence.

He has just got out of prison a few weeks back, and now has to start over with no house and no job, and the knowledge that his two young daughters have to go the school with the stigma he has brought upon their family.

No great career prospects for a financial controller, with a criminal record for theft, either.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hans kraay fan club said:
A colleague of mine was caught last year, having basically written cheques to himself to the value of £170,000 over the last three years. He had to pay it all back, and got a two-year jail sentence.

He has just got out of prison a few weeks back, and now has to start over with no house and no job, and the knowledge that his two young daughters have to go the school with the stigma he has brought upon their family.

No great career prospects for a financial controller, with a criminal record for theft, either.

Blimey - did his wife leave him? 2 years is a bloody long time in a lonely bed :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A colleague of mine was caught last year, having basically written cheques to himself to the value of £170,000 over the last three years. He had to pay it all back

Did he have it to pay back?

I'd have thought that when someone had nicked a sum like that, which is not huge, he'd have spunked it on cars, holidays, house improvements and big TVs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
tedebear said:
Blimey - did his wife leave him? 2 years is a bloody long time in a lonely bed :lol:

She stood by him, but then so she should as she clearly knew all about it.

She used to work for the company too, and would have been perfectly aware of what his salary was, and known that it didn't support marble bathrooms, wall-to-wall plasma TVs and £18,000 kitchens.

She was fairly high maintenance.

She was also quite cute, so her bed may not have been that lonely.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
She stood by him, but then so she should as she clearly knew all about it.

She used to work for the company too, and would have been perfectly aware of what his salary was, and known that it didn't support marble bathrooms, wall-to-wall plasma TVs and £18,000 kitchens.

She was fairly high maintenance.

She was also quite cute, so her bed may not have been that lonely.

How daft do people have to be to think they won't get caught!! Marble bathroom - where the heck do they live - Lancing? :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
tedebear said:
How daft do people have to be to think they won't get caught!! Marble bathroom - where the heck do they live - Lancing? :lol:

They DID live in a very nice house in a pretty Hampshire village. Somebody else lives there now and I'm sure they love their new bathroom and kitchen!!

He had been with the company a good ten years too and would almost certainly have been made a director within the next 2-3 years. He was a universally popular guy too, and 'absolutely trustworthy'. So much so that when the Company Secretary was going to be out of the country for more than a week, she would leave him with a couple a signed blank cheques in case anything came up! Oops.

Needless to say our lawyers are involved in a bit of a skirmish with the auditors.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
we had an accountant here a few years ago that was on the fiddle. i don't know how much he stole in total but i think they got suspicious when he started boasting about buying a brand new harley davidson :lolol:

his only excuse was that it seemed so easy to do.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Needless to say our lawyers are involved in a bit of a skirmish with the auditors.

How joyous, sign sign and countersign is my motto....not that I was ever an auditor or anything like that...;) :lol:

rool

Jul 10, 2003

My one and only uncovering of a fraud as an auditor was a similar case. This guy was very stupid though as he was writing the cheques to himself and cashing them at cash converters. He would tear out the cheque stubs obviously unaware that there are such things as bank reconciliations.

He spent all his money on a shit car and fast food

Tricky Dicky said:
We handle $200 Billion a day - do you think anyone would notice ??

Does that include the cocaine trafficking as well?

Last edited:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I could probably lay my hands on a tidy sum, but since I work for myself and it's all my money anyway, it probably wouldn't achieve a great deal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here