Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the worst ever league managers?

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Lawrenson managed somebody didn't he?
Oxford United

Poor chap could not even manage to get in a pub successfully.

When he was sacked film crews followed him out the ground he wanted to go in a pub but found the door locked.

When Lawrenson resigned he said he didn't want to be the manager of Derby's reserves.

I can't comment on his pub finding abilities and he may not have pulled up any trees as a manager; but when your Chairman sells your best player (Dean Saunders) to his Dad's club (Derby) without telling you, you are probably going to struggle a bit aren't you?

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Sorry slight exageration, but not far off looking at the avarages, A, Mullery was manager 82 to 84.

1983-84 Today Second Division 8,119
1982-83 Second Division 10,034
1981-82 Second Division 10,030
1980-81 First Division 18,678
1979-80 First Division 29,523

So gates fell less than 2,000 on average under Mullery rather than your initial claim of 15,000. More than a 'slight' exaggeration!

In terms of being a great player and a great person who was a poor manager Bobby Charlton has to be up there. I can only assume the players must have been overawed by his background and went to pieces as a result.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There's plenty as this thread shows but several that have not right to be anywhere near!

Sven for one, seriously? His European Successes alone are enough to keep him off.

For me its Alan Ball but on individual stints didn't Mick McCarthy get Sunderland relegated twice with record Prem League points totals? First with 19 then 15 points? Obviously he's improved since and his promotion record outweighs his relegations.

I also think Adams Mk 2 was up there with the worst because, if you take the bald stats (P41 W10 D16 L 15) its not too bad but we had nearly 50 notoriously poor players in and out throughout his tenure and almost none of them improved the squad in any way.

Plus, he decided to tear apart the promising Lynch/Elphick partnership and stick Hawkins in with Elphick. Again, this is a one season thing though.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
yes it was, he was sacked after 10 minutes in his second spell

and his first spell was from 2002-06

Yeah you are right , old age getting the better of me. 10 years out , but remember them playing at lincoln in his first spell & played some good stuff

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here