Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the worst ever league managers?

I give you a Uruguyan manager named Danny Bergara.

He was manager of Doncaster Rovers during the 1997-98 season when they were relegated to the Conference. They set the record for getting the least points, winning the least games and having the worst ever goal difference of -83.

There was a documentary called They Think It's All Rovers which documented this momentous season. In it Danny Bergara is shown as being somewhat confused with only a basic understanding of English. In one scene he comes up with the idea of the players wearing their shirts (1-11) out of sequence to confuse the opposition. The only problem is that he didn't actually know the players by their faces only their numbers, so the most confused person in the ground was DB himself and he ended up substituting the wrong player.

He should be regarded as an Albion legend because if Donny weren't so shite that season we'd have been odds on to go down to the Conference as we only picked up a few points more than them.

The three clubs that finished above us that season were: Swansea, Cardiff and Hull. Insane how football works...

Adsgull

Feb 27, 2012
Southwick
Gary megson for me the bloke knows nothing about football pisses people off wherever he goes and generally has a shit time. He cannot manage at all his teams play what can only be described as anti football. Also Avram Grant got lucky a Chelsea with someone else's team then Pompey speaks for itself

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Those England teams of the late 80s/early 90s produced some spectularly unsuccessful managers. Adams & Barnes are just two of many.

Wasn't that Leroy Rosenior? I like him on Late Kick-Off. Well, that's pushing it but he is less annoying than Graham Murty.

That's a fair point. I think I'd tried to erase that from my memory.

Don't think that was rosenior , he had Torquay playing some lovely football in the mid 90s

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
If you asked a Palace fan they would say Alan Mullery - which makes him a double hero in my eyes.

They would say Thomas Brolin / Lombardo / Noads, 3 headed rush to relegation.

But Alan Mullery managed to gate gates from 20000 to about 5000 in a season which isnt bad going!!

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Sorry slight exageration, but not far off looking at the avarages, A, Mullery was manager 82 to 84.

1983-84 Today Second Division 8,119
1982-83 Second Division 10,034
1981-82 Second Division 10,030
1980-81 First Division 18,678
1979-80 First Division 29,523

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ray Clemence for Barnet, f##king useless and now where is he? Playing far too much a part with the national team, he doesn't just coach the goalkeepers but appears to give out tactics from the sideline.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
PNE, who seem to have had their fair share of rubbish managers (Moyes aside), including Bobby Charlton and Nobby Stiles.
Michael Knighton - Carlisle
Jimmy Case (sorry playing legend) - BHA
And probably the most bizarre of all ... Terry Smith - Chester City.
Oh and Sven Goran... can't miss him out.

Edit on Terry Smith: His methods included reading aloud the Lord's Prayer during the pre-match team talk, and appointing captains for the defence, midfield and attack.

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
One of the worst manager's you can think of took his team to the Champions League/European Cup final for the only time, finished second in the league and didn't lose a home game!

You're not the bloke in the East Stand who called Gus 'a moron' at half-time on Saturday are you?

Just my opinion, a blind deaf monkey could have achieved what grant did that season with Chelsea IMO (also the view of a lifelong Chelsea supporting mate). What has he achieved since?

Oh and please find a single post that would make you think a) I sit in the east, and b) that I've ever called gus a moron :lol:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
My theory - never employ an England international from the late 80s/early 90s.

The evidence:

Bryan Robson - one or two decent seasons but ultimately failed wherever he went.
Mark Hateley - complete horror show at Hull.
Chris Waddle - as shite as a manager for Burnley as he is at pronouncing the word "penalty".
Peter Shilton - failed to get Plymouth up after he'd spent a fortune building his own team.
Carlton Palmer - a definite contender for worst manager of all time.

John Barnes, Tony Adams and Paul Merson all dealt with previously.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Lawrenson managed somebody didn't he?

To which Timco replied:- "Oxford United. Poor chap could not even manage to get in a pub successfully.When he was sacked film crews followed him out the ground he wanted to go in a pub but found the door locked."

I can't comment on his pub finding abilities and he may not have pulled up any trees as a manager; but when your Chairman sells your best player (Dean Saunders) to his Dad's club (Derby) without telling you, you are probably going to struggle a bit aren't you?

Last edited:

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Christian Gross of tottenham? I remember everyone slagging him off their fans, the media, ex pros and even some of the tottenham squad. I distinctly remember some ex tottenham player talking about Gross saying that he knows everything about coaching from a book but not in the real world of man management.

Oh..... And Graham Souness

Sent by Derek Acorah via the spirit world.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
brian kidd didn't last long at blackburn

ossie ardiles,no fucker could understand him i suppose

Stumpy Tim

Gary megson for me the bloke knows nothing about football pisses people off wherever he goes and generally has a shit time. He cannot manage at all his teams play what can only be described as anti football.

Is this the Gary Megson that took West Brom up after decades of under-achievement, saved Bolton from relegation and kept them up for another two seasons (they would take that now), and took Sheff Wednesday from mid-table last season to third this season?

Yep - he must be the worst manager of all time

D

Deleted member 18477

Tony Adams, Steve Kean, Roy Keane, Steve Cotterill.

Mark Hughes is pretty shit as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here