Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the worst ever league managers?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I'd like to nominate John Barnes for this dubious title.

He was shocking for Celtic leading them to one of their most embarrassing ever defeats (Super Caley go ballistic etc). He then turned up a few stone heavier at Tranmere and was so bad that he was sacked within a few games.

Great player, shite manager.

Are there worse, though?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Kevin Cullis managed Swansea City in 1996 for just one-and-a-half games: a 1-0 home defeat to Swindon Town and 45 minutes of an eventual 4-0 defeat at Blackpool. In the second match Cullis' planned half-time team talk was ignored as the players took control. Cullis resigned.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

He was shocking for Celtic leading them to one of their most embarrassing ever defeats (Super Caley go ballistic etc). He then turned up a few stone heavier at Tranmere and was so bad that he was sacked within a few games.

Are there worse, though?
Thats exactly who I thought of as soon as I saw the thread title :thumbsup:

Apart from him the only people I can think of at atm are managers who presided over bad spells at one club or another but achieved better things elsewhere - Paul Jewell for example.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
There is a web site somewhere. Souness gets a panning.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Are there worse, though?

You forgot to mention that he's also a shite TV presenter :thumbsup:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Tony Adams.

Those England teams of the late 80s/early 90s produced some spectularly unsuccessful managers. Adams & Barnes are just two of many.

Didnt Torquay have a manager who was hired and then fired like an hour later or something ?

Wasn't that Leroy Rosenior? I like him on Late Kick-Off. Well, that's pushing it but he is less annoying than Graham Murty.

You forgot to mention that he's also a shite TV presenter :thumbsup:

That's a fair point. I think I'd tried to erase that from my memory.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
But sacked within an hour ? Cant remember the reasons behind it though - might of been a board takeover an hour after he was appointed, then they sacked him.

How can it be a judgement on his performance though, they never played a game under him. You could argue he had a good record - his team were NEVER beaten.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Avram Grant

Steve Coterill

One of the worst manager's you can think of took his team to the Champions League/European Cup final for the only time, finished second in the league and didn't lose a home game!

You're not the bloke in the East Stand who called Gus 'a moron' at half-time on Saturday are you?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do believe Les Reed, once of Charlton Athletic, is held in particularly low esteem.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
John sitton, heres a bit of a half time pep talk!!

Sitton addressed two other players and offered to fight them, shouting:

"You, you little ****, when I tell you to do something, and you, you f***ing big ****, when I tell you to do something, do it. And if you come back at me, we'll have a f***ing right sort-out in here. All right? And you can pair up if you like, and you can f***ing pick someone else to help you, and you can bring your f***ing dinner. 'Cos by the time I've finished with you, you'll f***ing need it."

[1]
Orient went on to lose the match 1–0, and after winning only one of the next 15 games, both Sitton and Turner were sacked two months later. Orient won just seven of 47 games under the pair. After the pair left, the side lost the following three games and finished bottom of the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here