Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the pikey -est Supermarket...........

Who are the dregs of food shopping....

• Aldi (soon to be enscummed in London Rd)

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Lidl (by Mac's Cafe say no more)

Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Asda ( Marina branch good buses from the Hawk they won't deliver)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Iceland (Katona personifies the London Rd store)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Any Co-op

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Lidl and Aldi were a godsend over here. At least they break up the price fixing between Tesco/Dunnes/Superquinn and the high prices of the glorified convenience stores like Supervalu/Centra/Spar.

All have a shit range and choice of products compared to your average Sussex supermarket.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Has to be Iceland, don't think that they do anything that is fresh (have never shopped there so I really am guessing, but reckon the name is a bit of a giveaway). I would never have called ASDA pikey, true you get some skanky types in there but the food isn't bad and is generally very good value (my kid brother and his wife swear by it and there is no way on earth that either of them have half an ounce of pikey in them).

Q: Do they have a frozen food shop in Iceland called England?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
got to be the Co-op - any co-op anywhere

Can't count how much crap "fresh" produce I've bought from them over the years which was anything but - trouble is they are the nearest to where I live when I run out of stuff. Must learn to be more organised:D

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Adsa is value for money, cheap even, but its not scummy. Mrs Smt Mart swears by it, and she is WELL FUSSY...

Lidl is awful at some things, but brilliant at others. Booze, bratwurst, and smoked salmon there is cheap AND generally top notch.

The Sunday Times reckons snobby people cheat a bit nowadays by buying high profile items ( decent bottles of wine, etc) at Waitrose, but buy their bog roll and baked beans at Lidls or Aldi.

Peculiar thing, supermarket snobbery - Heinz baked beans from Asda taste just as good from Heinz baked beans from Waitrose, but some people think one is pikey, and they other isnt, even though at the end of the day they are an identical product.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I work in Iceland, and a lot of the customers are chavs. However a lot more of them are old people. Iceland do indeed sell fresh food; fruits, meat and then things like dairy foods, pasties etc.

God knows why they have got Kerry Katona doing the adverts again!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Peculiar thing, supermarket snobbery - Heinz baked beans from Asda taste just as good from Heinz baked beans from Waitrose, but some people think one is pikey, and they other isnt, even though at the end of the day they are an identical product.

Word. Some people have to catch the bus and go to the nearest.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

The problem isn't Heinz baked beans, its Asda own-brand 8p-a-can ones. Or my biggest hate with the cheap shops - basics being imported from miles away. Tesco butter, from New Zealand; Dunnes Stores milk - Northern Ireland or mainland UK at times. I'm somewhat of a snob about it, but I don't want "fresh" products to have travelled 300 miles, or 12000 miles at that matter. Belgian eggs in Lidl when Belgium has apparently got atrociously poor health standards for poultry farming is another one...

Aldi, Superquinn and Supervalu are the best for having locally sourced produce, despite none of them really being a major name (Lidl have something like 3x Aldi's store count here).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I could'nt give a toss what shop I go in as long as they've got whay I want.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Abu Dhabi Co-op is an Arab pike-fest

Spinneys is for the more discerning grocery shopper

True enough - Spinneys is where it's at. They have imported Waitrose products.

Don't go to the Emirates Union Co-op. Or Lulu's for that matter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If you want cheap rubbish then LIDL tops the list by far. The quality of their food is very poor.

I've never shopped at Lidl as it's too far away to get to, but a French friend of mine who's a keen amateur cook says that the vegetables in Lidl are the best she's found in Britain. I've never had time to check that out.

Why is the Co-op on the list? I used to work for one of the Co-ops, that certainly wasn't pikey.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit to not buying vegetables there very often because I do not like their prepackaged fresh goods like bacon, sausages etc so do not go in there. My mother, however swears by the one in Worthing.

I also have a problem with supermarkets that do not try to get you through the checkouts quickly.

I complained about this at B Hill LIDL and wrote to their head office but didnt receive a reply and got the hump so kept writing and eventually on the 8th letter I said that it is little wonder that the staff in the shop are rude when the Regional Director could not be bothered to reply to my letter. The reply I got was that due to staff problems they had been very busy and the same excuse was given for the rude shop staff in the store. Complete waste of time so I will not go into their shops anymore and will also discourage others.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Asda by a country mile. I had the misfortune of popping in the marina store yesterday for a few basics after I took the nipper to see the boats. I have never been in the presence of so many slow walking goons completely oblivious to any kind of spacial awareness or infact displaying any kind of human behaviour, all screaming in mine and each others faces with their spotty fat kids plodding behind them.

It was like being in a lonsdale clothing factory. Horrible store, although the Hollingbury one makes me laugh in a different way because its a 'Superstore' the staff seem to think they're working in Harrods! I suppose it is if you come from Hollingbury.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Remember Netto from when I lived in Liverpool, the estates on merseyside were littered with netto shoppers. Cheap as anything always full of swearing, trackie wearing scousers - a horrible image a true pikey festival

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lots of Aldi and Lidl stock is far better than the Taste the Difference or whatever posh supermarket equivealent is. And Iceland is reputedly the best supermarket for fresh and organic produce

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm surprised nobody's nominated Morrisons yet, the last one I went in was truly awful.

I find that though Asda is generally good on brand name prices it's fruit & veg, meat etc is reallt poor quality and doesn't last.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Do pikeys shop in supermarkets?? I always thought they stole the contents of your fridge whilst:

Select from list - burgling your house/pretending to be the water board/overcharging for unneccessary building work/laying a crap driveway/flytipping in your garage

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here