Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who are the PC brigade?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
They have the same relationship to the "silent majority" as heaven does to hell...and they're just as fictional.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They're the people who get offended enough to pick up the phone at 11pm on a Monday night and complain about Rodney Marsh.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
GM_Trumpton_fire_brigade.gif

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Pavilionaire said:
They're the people who get offended enough to pick up the phone at 11pm on a Monday night and complain about Rodney Marsh.
Yes but who is that exactly?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Are you implying that these callers don't exist?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Voroshilov said:
No I'm just rying to find out what sort of people you think the PC brigade are.

The sort of people that complain about the following? Oversight yes, but really;

FA apologises for DVD 'oversight'

DVD of greatest England internationals doesn't feature one black player

Press Association
Thursday January 27, 2005

The Football Association has apologised after a DVD which claimed to feature the greatest post-war England internationals did not include a single black player.
The DVD, entitled 'The Pride of the Nation', has been included in a welcome pack for newcomers to the 'englandfans' official members' club.

Sven-Goran Eriksson introduces a retrospective look at the leading footballers to have worn an England shirt over the past 40 years.

But while the initial list given to video producers Octagon is understood to have included black players, none of them made the final cut as the running time was reduced to 30 minutes.

Many of the remaining 17 players would not be controversial choices, including Bobby Moore, Gary Lineker, Sir Bobby Charlton, Paul Gascoigne, Alan Shearer, Bryan Robson, David Beckham and Terry Butcher.

However, Martin Peters, Chris Waddle, Stuart Pearce and Steven Gerrard were also included, while black players such as Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell, Paul Ince, John Barnes, Ashley Cole and Viv Anderson were not.

Neither the FA or Octagon intended any slight, but the FA have accepted that a mistake was still made in the message that was inadvertently sent out.

FA head of communications Adrian Bevington said: "We apologise for a regrettable oversight that shouldn't have occurred.

"There have been numerous outstanding black footballers since Viv Anderson's debut in 1978 and that should have been highlighted on the DVD."

The original list of players was selected by a group of 'englandfans' members, but the FA, who were vociferous in their complaints at the racist taunting aimed at black England players in Madrid last November, had final responsibility for the contents of the DVD.

Piara Powar, spokesman for the Kick It Out anti-racism campaign, welcomed the FA's apology, while stressing the need for the governing body to remain acutely aware of such sensitive issues.

"We can understand the concerns that have been raised as black players have contributed an immense amount to the game in England, but the FA's apology shows they realise that they have made a faux-pas," he said.

· You've read the piece, now have your say. Email your comments to football.editor@guardianunlimited.co.uk.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
That's pathetic frankly. Anti-racism campaigners (rightly) don't want skin colour to be of any importance in our society. So why then do they complain about people's skin colour in the DVD?

One could go far enough as to say that this is actually racism against white players, by saying to some of them they can't be included, not because of footballing ability but because they are not black.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
They are bespectacled, the lot of them; visually-impaired by the lifetime of atheistic, sexual slime they've had to witness. Their hair is cut sharply around their arrow-shaped heads. Their genitals are exhausted and, in many cases, in tatters. They are men and women who may as well not be, having given up on improving their own lives sometime in the Victorian era. They hate themselves almost as much as they hate me.

How could they not put Barnes' Maracana goal in - greatest goal ever scored by an England player, no?

Interesting that people think the Kick Racism Out of Football campaign is the PC Brigade, so that's one nomination.

Any more?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They are a subset of "white anglo saxon Britain" who are offended more easily than the minority that a particular joke or action is designed to offend. These people irritate me mildly.

But in my opinion, they are far preferable to the subset of "white anglo saxon Britain" who seem bizarrely jealous of the least fortunate people in society such as "assylum seekers" - a phrase used because it is so much easier to pick on them than "refugees". These people are downright dangerous.

Last edited:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
They are a subset of "white anglo saxon Britain" who are offended more easily than the minority that a particular joke or action is designed to offend. These people irritate me mildly.

But in my opinion, they are far preferable to the subset of "white anglo saxon Britain" who seem bizarrely jealous of the least fortunate people in society such as "assylum seekers" - a phrase used because it is so much easier to pick on them than "refugees". These people are downright dangerous.

I actually read the article in the Gaurdian campaigning to call Asylum seekers refugees. Why does the left think that if manipulates language enough problems will go away?

I was right about you being a Gaurdian reading twat wasn't I?

Or was that Richie?

Anyway PC Brigade.

Volvo has a point about it being a catch all term of knee jerk abuse, like calling people racist who want to discuss issues like, erm race, Immigration etc, if thats what he was implying. thats what it hass tended to become.

Originally it was the name attached to those who practiced "positive discrimination", or would appliy double standards usually in the area of politics concerning sex, sexuality and race.

The point is re-inforced by this thread being started a notorious NSC lefty employing the standard left strategy of "This does not exist". Usually along the lines of "Rightwing media propoganda" but this ones more suttle.

I think the Genesis of Political Correctness began with the "Frankfurt school" or something like that.

Oh and Simster a majority of Immigrants are also concerned about Immigrants, as well as 97% of Sun Readers.

Subset? ahahahahahaha.

There is a silent majority and it is Socially Rightwing and Economicly confused. Nixon got that right even if it is a politically loaded term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here