Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whingy to Charlton?

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Be amazed if we get a fee for Whing considering the circumstances. In fact we will be lucky if a club like Charlton come in for him as they could probably match his contract here meaning we avoid having to settle.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would think that we would let him go on a free and would never expect to get £50k for him even when he came to us and was quite good. Think that may be a typing error and that you put the 0 in by mistake.

Think the whole 50 was a typing error, not just the 0!.

Who on earth would want to pay money for Whingy?. Committed yes, reliable yes, loyal yes, but when it comes to natural footballing ability he was completely overshadowed by Calde last season. El-Abd and even Steve Cook would make better choices at right back now.

But maybe all that is in our favour, shows how much we have moved on as a club.

However, if Charlton DO want to give us money ... thank you very much! lol.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BG's disrespect for Whingy is a disgrace, but... he will be allowed to leave for a free... I maintain he is a better player than Hoyt, who Gus consistently played despite him offering nothing but pace for game after game... BG (the 'scout') seems to think Hoyt is a better player, to me that shows zero appreciation of the game...

Let's put it like this, I don't think Charlton would show ANY interest in Hoyt...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Charlton can't afford to pay out a fee for Whingy so if he goes it will be on a free.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I did post about Whingy on another thread at the beginning of the week. The gist was; He is available for free however the interest from Charlton has since cooled. He wants to move back to his Brum roots.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I did post about Whingy on another thread at the beginning of the week. The gist was; He is available for free however the interest from Charlton has since cooled. He wants to move back to his Brum roots.

That only gives him 3 league options , Walsall , Chesterfield or Port Vale. If he drops into non league , Mansfield. All within a reasonble driving distance from Brum.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BG's disrespect for Whingy is a disgrace, but... he will be allowed to leave for a free... I maintain he is a better player than Hoyt, who Gus consistently played despite him offering nothing but pace for game after game... BG (the 'scout') seems to think Hoyt is a better player, to me that shows zero appreciation of the game...

Let's put it like this, I don't think Charlton would show ANY interest in Hoyt...

I think that Hoyte is a far better full back than Whing in every aspect except perhaps endeavour. He is faster, more skilful, younger and was a great improvement when he arrived here from Arsenal. Having said that Calderon is better still. It would appear that Gus and his backroom staff agree.

When Whing arrived he was reasonable but sadly has gone down hill very fast and is now probably only of Div 2 standard if even that. Perhaps joining a new club will revitalise him and get him playing again.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I have a feeling that Hoyte will end up playing at a higher level than Whing...he has the physical attributes to be a good player and mainly needs to improve his positioning and concentration.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
I think that Hoyte is a far better full back than Whing in every aspect except perhaps endeavour. He is faster, more skilful, younger and was a great improvement when he arrived here from Arsenal. Having said that Calderon is better still. It would appear that Gus and his backroom staff agree.

When Whing arrived he was reasonable but sadly has gone down hill very fast and is now probably only of Div 2 standard if even that. Perhaps joining a new club will revitalise him and get him playing again.

For once I agree with everything you are saying!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Hi BG... I KNOW Gus and his staff agree with you, but on this one I don't... Hoyt had pace, no positional sense, zero distribution, no tackling ability... in fact, very little that a FB needs... he was awful in all games bar 1 or 2 near the end of his 'reign' as our RB... Gus has already said he will not renew his interest in Hoyt, which I believe also says a lot about just how much he an his staff rate him...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I have a feeling that Hoyte will end up playing at a higher level than Whing...he has the physical attributes to be a good player and mainly needs to improve his positioning and concentration.

... which is ZERO use to us last season or now...

BTW Whing played in the Championship, and I will be surprised if Hoyte gets any higher than that...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt Hoyte play in tThe Championship with Watford before coming to us on loan? I think that the reason Gus hasnt gone after Hoyte is because we have Calderon who is better and also Hoyte would probably not come to us again if he thought that he was going to be a squad player. He woiuld be better off staying at Arsenal if he is not going to play regularly.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Didnt Hoyte play in tThe Championship with Watford before coming to us on loan? I think that the reason Gus hasnt gone after Hoyte is because we have Calderon who is better and also Hoyte would probably not come to us again if he thought that he was going to be a squad player. He woiuld be better off staying at Arsenal if he is not going to play regularly.

Think that was his brother; a MUCH better player BTW...
WE aren't interested in Hoyte...

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
A telling sign is that in the photos from behind on the photo shoot gallery he is the only one who doesnt have his name on his shirt.

i love andy whing tho and still think that he has something to offer.

If he does go, he goes with our best wishes.

top player, top bloke

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Think that was his brother; a MUCH better player BTW...
WE aren't interested in Hoyte...

Gavin Hoyter played from Dec 2008 to end of season for Watford in the Championship 10 games.

He has been at Arsenal since he was 9yrs old and played for England U17s (2)

England U18s (14) U20s (1) Played 1 Premiership game for Arsenal and 3 League Cup.

The highest Whing has played is The Championship for Coventry never an International. A good old pro but never as good as Hoyte.

May 12, 2010

You are ALMOST correct with what you type.
Except for him being REASONABLE when he first arrived - he was actually pretty good. Didn't you even offer to drive DICK to Coventry to sign him?
Also he's not really gone downhill very fast, it's just that Claderon has SPOILT us. A little bit like when the Ambassador has a reception and gets the Ferrero Rocher out.

But yeah, Gus doesn't fancy him, that's good enough for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here