Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which year will Falmer OPEN?

Which year will Falmer OPEN?

• Total voters

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Question for the doom mongers on here, those who constantly see the glass being 2 thirds empty, the whingers and whiners.

If the stadium is open in 2010, will you all politely stay away till the year you predict it will open?

I would like to think that you would show some decency and stay clear of the place till your time is right. and for those that have said never, well, just don't ever come, go and watch something else on a Saturday, Croydon is quite close by train.

My goodness me, some people!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
If the application has to be heard by the council in "December or January" as Perry says on the Seagulls web site how can building possibly start in December as he also says on the Seagulls web site or am I missing something salient here ?
And where the hell are we going to get £60M from when huge investment banks are going tits up left right and centre ? Unless you're worth squillions like the Arabs that have taken over Man City the cost is just far too much to bear for a little club like ours.
It ain't looking at all rosy and, quite honestly, if building does not start within a month of the propsed start date I don't think it ever will. I sincerely hope it does but I can't see it happening

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I really can't believe the club are being stupid enough to gamble on the future of Falmer like this. All they had to do was choose a company to build the stadium as finally and grudgingly agreed by all parties, then send the diggers in in December. Instead, they're risking blowing everything by going back to the council with an application that will doubtless be opposed by the same old opposition. t's ridiculous and dangerous.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Gone for 2011 on the grounds that some building delay is inevitable.Haven't gone later cos I really want to sit and watch a game there before the grim reaper comes for me.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I really can't believe the club are being stupid enough to gamble on the future of Falmer like this. All they had to do was choose a company to build the stadium as finally and grudgingly agreed by all parties, then send the diggers in in December. Instead, they're risking blowing everything by going back to the council with an application that will doubtless be opposed by the same old opposition. t's ridiculous and dangerous.

I'm beginning to wonder if we can actually afford to build the stadium? This is starting to look like a very convenient way of delaying things further while waiting for the costs to rise again so the club can announce it has now risen above they're means thus leaving LDC etc to take the blame.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I would say they are having financial problems. That aside the stadium will go ahead but commencement will be delayed due to financial problems and building like this always comes in past the deadline and overbudget.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Question for the doom mongers on here, those who constantly see the glass being 2 thirds empty, the whingers and whiners.

If the stadium is open in 2010, will you all politely stay away till the year you predict it will open?

I would like to think that you would show some decency and stay clear of the place till your time is right. and for those that have said never, well, just don't ever come, go and watch something else on a Saturday, Croydon is quite close by train.
No need to get so ARSEY with people who are a bit disillusioned, surely? Some of us are f***ing pissed off that it's taken 11 years so far and the ground hasn't been broken yet. Why should faith in this administration be some sort of obligation?

Personally, I very much doubt this is going to be up and running in the next 3 years (if that's alright with you of course) simply because nothing else has happened on time.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor

What an absolute monkfish.

:thud:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If the application has to be heard by the council in "December or January" as Perry says on the Seagulls web site how can building possibly start in December as he also says on the Seagulls web site or am I missing something salient here ?
And where the hell are we going to get £60M from when huge investment banks are going tits up left right and centre ? Unless you're worth squillions like the Arabs that have taken over Man City the cost is just far too much to bear for a little club like ours.
It ain't looking at all rosy and, quite honestly, if building does not start within a month of the propsed start date I don't think it ever will. I sincerely hope it does but I can't see it happening
SOrry, but that comment is bollocks of the highest order.

How can we start in December? Well, you ARE obviously missing something. Planning permission!!! You know that thing we battled years for. We have permission to build it, so we can start when we was going to start. The problem is if we build it to original plans, we wouldn't be able to use it.

As the footprint and size of the stadium on the outside is going to be unchanged, there is nothing stopping us from getting the ground work done. The changes are internal. It's a bit like you having permission to build a new house, and deciding you want to change the position of the windows.

You need permission to do it, but it it doesn't stop you digging and doing the ground work.

Banks are still lending money, they are just being careful about it. £60 million I beleive it the cost of the stadium, NOT the cost of our lending!!:bigwave:

Last edited:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by

GENIUS! :salute:

I'll take you up on that so long as it works the other way. ie. If it's late by 2 years you don't come for the first 2 years it's open!

If you are taking it that I am telling fans to stay away, then yes I am, and judging by the popularity of this poll, I am asking about 30 or 40 people to stay away.

Rubbish. With surveys (and one as small as this can't be trusted too much anyway) the only relevant number is the percentage, and I think you'll find that at the moment 75% of people DON'T think it will open in 2010!

Lets hope the club don't take up your idea eh! :glare:

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
It will be built when Lewes are ready to ground share.
It will be like Welling where they have their own stand and clubhouse and Erith & Belvedere have theirs on the other side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm beginning to wonder if we can actually afford to build the stadium? This is starting to look like a very convenient way of delaying things further while waiting for the costs to rise again so the club can announce it has now risen above they're means thus leaving LDC etc to take the blame.

I was thinking the same.

Up until this latest piece of bullshit I'd always voted '2011'.

This time I voted 'Never'.

Bad fan.

Obviously.

Last edited:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just makes you wonder what to believe with the board we have,its slow and far to quiet far to often these days.Its as if they want a blip like this to cover there tracks.

If it fu£ks up and is delayed again im certainly not bothering with the club again as 12 years+ for a stadium is a disgrace:nono:

just sick and tired of it when clubs half our size get new stadiums just like that:rolleyes:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth

Ooooh. Someones Raith Rovers reserve team strip hasn't shown up in the post today.

I don't think it will be open in 2010 but if it does I will be there for the 1st game. All I hope is that I don't get a ticket stuck next to you and your Super Fan mates.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
just sick and tired of it when clubs half our size get new stadiums just like that:rolleyes:

They'll have finished building the entire NEW ENGLAND QUARTER of Brighton by the time the first match is played at Falmer. Even that hotel by the station that was knocked back on its planning application about three years ago as being too many storeys too high has been open for business for a year.

Pathetic doesn't even BEGIN to cover it.

Just BUILD the fucker whydoncha! :rant:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
If it fu£ks up and is delayed again im certainly not bothering with the club again as 12 years+ for a stadium is a disgrace:nono:

It's sad when fans feel like that but it really is getting to the point when enough is enough.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Superphil is an Albion legend and all round good guy but I do not agree with him on this one. No one can be blamed for voting after 2010 or indeed thinking the bloody thing will never be built. I think it will but will be after 2010. It appears 75% think it will be after 2010. If there is a 12000 fan base, that means 9000 are not allowed to come if it is built in 2010.

We need EVERY single fan we can muster to take up the seats, good fans, bad fans, butterfly fans, everyone is welcome but of course the real fans will always be those that went to Gillingham for 2 years and went to Hereford that will never change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here