Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which song means more to you?

Which anthem means more to you?

• The National Anthem

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Good Old Sussex By The Sea

Votes: 73 85.9%

• Total voters

SM - despite the ravings of the right-wing fringe on this thread, it IS a dirge. Listen to it. Listen to other national anthems. And try and tell me it isn't a dirge.

Oh, and I know you can only work with simplistic labelling, but there is such a thing as a republican right, you know.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
It's down to personal opinion I think you will find, your is it's a dirge, mine is it's a rousing patriotic song.

Republican right well done you identified a whole US political party you are a clever badger here is a simple label for you, Jambo and Brovian and the rest :salute:

God Save The Queen

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Nope I think you will find that the US Republican party is to the right and that there ain't that many right wing republicans in this country apart from the odd idiotic Nazi obviously. But lets face it they are a joke anyway so who takes notice of thier views apart from Searchlight of course.

SM BHAFC said:
Nope I think you will find that the US Republican party is to the right

Er... yeeeees ... I know that.

When I said you misunderstood, I meant you misunderstood who I was talking about. :dunce: Clearly you still do. :dunce: :dunce:

If, as you seem to be suggesting, republicanism is a position held only by 'the left wing fringe' and 'the odd idiotic Nazi', the latter of which 'ain't that many', then the left-wing fringe makes up roughly a third of the country. Hardly a 'fringe', really, is it? Or could it be that there are republicans who are neither left-wing nor far right? Hm, I wonder...

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Muzzman said:
GOSBTS - no contest.. I hate the national anthem.. it sounds like a load of old dirge.. Even Germany's anthem sounds better than ours IMHO

How right you are! Ours must be one of the worst national anthems going.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I would have always said GOSBTS, however after watching the veterans singing the anthem in the D-Day celebrations it gave an overwhelming sense of national pride.
We should see it more as national homage to our people and not associate it with the royal family, where I believe is why most people tend to dislike it.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Rambo said:
I would have always said GOSBTS, however after watching the veterans singing the anthem in the D-Day celebrations it gave an overwhelming sense of national pride.
We should see it more as national homage to our people and not associate it with the royal family, where I believe is why most people tend to dislike it.

I agree entirely that the British National anthem should be a national homage to the British people and that an English national anthem should be a national homage to the English national homage. However it's pretty difficult not to associate it with the royal family given that it is called "God Save the Queen!". The bottom line is that GSTQ should be consigned to the dustbin of history. It has no place in a modern progressive society.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Jambo you really are aren't you, you are one of the worst types of tossers that are around I can here your nasally twine now, "GSTQ really has no place in a modern progresive society" yeah man right on!

What a comlpete ring piece you sound, as for your point about a third of the country obviousely not just the left wing fringe but many left wingers to, however you were saying that there are republican right wingers that was your first point, despite me not understanding your in depth analysis obviously because I am a dunce you have not really explained yourself.

Mate go and ask your average right winger or maybe even just right of centre what they think about the Royal Family you may be disamally suprised, in that little world of right on politics that is moving this modern progressive world forward people may not like the history and pagentry of the Royals well it is 'so un-cool man it like a reminder of all the bad things we like did in the past man'. :salute: :salute:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
I would rather be shot dead than sing that aristocratic arse-licking tripe called the National Anthem .... sorry if that sounds un-Christian, but I can't stand royalty nor the archaic class system it represents

Not much more to add to that:clap:

However, I did sing the "God save our team" version..."send them victorious, happy and glorious" etc:clap2:

That is the only version of that bloody awful dirge I will ever sing.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Bwian said:
However, I did sing the "God save our team" version..."send them victorious, happy and glorious" etc:clap2:

So that's how we did it. :lol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
SM BHAFC said:
Jambo you really are aren't you, you are one of the worst types of tossers that are around I can here your nasally twine now, "GSTQ really has no place in a modern progresive society" yeah man right on!

What a comlpete ring piece you sound, as for your point about a third of the country obviousely not just the left wing fringe but many left wingers to, however you were saying that there are republican right wingers that was your first point, despite me not understanding your in depth analysis obviously because I am a dunce you have not really explained yourself.

Mate go and ask your average right winger or maybe even just right of centre what they think about the Royal Family you may be disamally suprised, in that little world of right on politics that is moving this modern progressive world forward people may not like the history and pagentry of the Royals well it is 'so un-cool man it like a reminder of all the bad things we like did in the past man'. :salute: :salute:
On the other hand, it doesn't bother you in the slightest that 17 million Brits feel alienated by the fact that the Royals are still held up in such esteem through an accident of birth, and that you'd rather have a national anthem that embodies your own beliefs than an anthem that might actually mean something to almost everybody. You'd rather a privelaged monarch wasn't offended than 17 million of your own countrymen - I find that rather sad. :(

Perhaps South Africa should have kept "De Stem" after the fall of apartheid? Another harmless song that associated with past "traditions".

Last edited:

Politics don't even come into it for me. I just find the National Anthem a load of bollocks. I'm not in any way religious so singing "God Save" anything is completely ridiculous to me, and I have no love or time for the Royal Family. To paraphrase The Smiths they mean nothing to me or to my life.

A national anthem should be something the whole nation is proud to sing and be associated with. I know that this is pretty much unachievable anyway, but I'm sure that there are better songs out there that could be adopted instead of the shite we have at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here