Votes: 73 85.9%

• Total voters

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Curious Orange said:
I think Land of Hope and Glory should be the anthem for England

for once i did sing the national anthem at the Millenium (because it seemed the thing to do at such a big game - no real reason), although i totally agree with you CO...

Send her victorious - to a ribbon cutting?
Happy and Glorious - from the Busted school of lyrical rhyming
Long to reign over us - with her biggoted husband
God save our queen - i'd rather pray for an end to global suffering

as for this poll, GOSBTS obviously

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
GOSBTS needed a revamp and then got one from FBS. I have never heard the FBS version. Is it any good?

The version played as the teams run out at Withdean must be the oldest recording of music in the entire football league. Cloth caps, Northern brass bands and footballers in black and white are the image I get everytime. I am amazed in today's fashion conscious world that younger fans aren't crying out for something more modern and "cool".

Whatever else it is GOSBTS is not cool

Dandyman

In London village.
GOSBTS

Although I'm not that bothered by the National Anthem I have belted it out at Wembley in the past. As others have said it is of course really the British Anthem. If we were to have an English Anthem I would prefer "Jerusalem" but do not actully see the relevance of any National Anthem to the play-off final unless Brizzle realy are Welsh !

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I would rather be shot dead than sing that aristocratic arse-licking tripe called the National Anthem .... sorry if that sounds un-Christian, but I can't stand royalty nor the archaic class system it represents

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I love GOSBTS. I hate GSTQ. Sat down when it was played at the Millennium Stadium. Once and for all it is the BRITISH national anthem not the ENGLISH national anthem. The only time it should ever be played at a sporting occasion is when the UK is being represented and not England, eg the Olympics. The sooner England gets a national anthem the better. And anyway it's a crap song with offensive lyrics.

On the other hand GOSBTS is genuinely uplifting.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jambo Seagull said:
I love GOSBTS. I hate GSTQ. Sat down when it was played at the Millennium Stadium. Once and for all it is the BRITISH national anthem not the ENGLISH national anthem. The only time it should ever be played at a sporting occasion is when the UK is being represented and not England, eg the Olympics. The sooner England gets a national anthem the better. And anyway it's a crap song with offensive lyrics.

On the other hand GOSBTS is genuinely uplifting.
Hear hear, well said that man, 100% agree, spot on. Also being Scottish I'm sure you love the verse about General Wade giving you 'Rebellious Scots' a good thrasing (even though it was only the Jacobite supporters which was not all of Scotland by a long chalk).

Icy - it may not be 'cool' but it's unique an it's ours. The problem with updating it is that is will sound naff and out of date almost as soon as it's finished. Leave it alone.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
SM BHAFC said:
The way it was sung at the Millenium did make me proud to bursting and did make the hairs on my neck stand up,

I agree completely. But I mean the way GOSBTS was sung at the Millenium Stadium, both before the match and after the trophy presentation...

Easily GOSBTS for me.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I am a Christian and a Royalist so God save the Queen does mean something to me but it also means something to 50 odd million others too.

Sussex by the Sea is unique to our county and specifically to our football club.

Tough choice but it has to be SBTS

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yorkie said:
I am a Christian and a Royalist so God save the Queen does mean something to me but it also means something to 50 odd million others too.
The results of this poll would suggest otherwise.

There are plenty of people (Royalist and republican) in this country who couldn't give a tuppenny toss for our national anthem. Probably because it's boring, dull, mildly offensive and it alienates the large minority of people who don't even want the Royals as head of state. 50million? I think not.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Who really gives a flying crap about the queen anyway?

Me........... (but i will not enter into this debate other than this)

Its been debated a few times before.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Simster said:
The results of this poll would suggest otherwise.

There are plenty of people (Royalist and republican) in this country who couldn't give a tuppenny toss for our national anthem. Probably because it's boring, dull, mildly offensive and it alienates the large minority of people who don't even want the Royals as head of state. 50million? I think not.

I didn't mean it literally. I meant that the national anthemn was applicable to the rest of the country.

You can tell the season is finished.

Everything I have typed in the last few days has been contradicted by somebody.

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
I sang both at the Millenium Stadium but felt more emotional when singing GOSBTS - could have been something to do with watching the lads carrying the cup around while it was being played. So GOSBTS gets my vote.

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
Simster I thought you had pissed off literally, apart from all the republican rubbish spouted by the left wing fringe on here the actual song GSTQ can not be described as dull and boring when it is sung by thousands of Englishmen at Twickenham or Wembley or wherever around the world.

When England play cricket it sounds fantastic and at cricket it is just the barmy army that sing it there is no official playing of the tune.
It is the British national anthem you are right but I like it being played at England matches.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here