Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Presenters/Commentators have stood out for you during the Olympics?....

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
And who has disappointed?

For me the best Presenters have been Jake Humphrey, John Inverdale and surprisingly Michelle Hussain.

Best commentators have been Steve Cram and Steve Redgrave.

Worst for me would be Gary 'Wooden' Lineker and Colin Jackson, Denise Lewis.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
BBBW - pretty much spot on.... although Clare Balding would also be right up there for me, and not so much Michelle Hussein.

I would add honorable mentions for Michael Johnson and Ian Thorpe - their international dimension was great - but also both very generous to Team GB.

On my worst list would also be Rob Walker.... what a plum!

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I think they've all been good. Informative, interesting, watchable. Time to clear out Shearer, Hansen and fuckin Lawro.

EDIT: I've always had a problem with Inverdale, and this Olympics hasn't impoved that opinion. Wooden, and doesn't listen to what others are saying.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The Velodrome team was the best IMO. Jake Humphrey / Boardman complimented by an almost shy Cavendish with a sprinkling of guests

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
BBBW - pretty much spot on.... although Clare Balding would also be right up there for me... and I would add honorable mentions for Michael Johnson and Ian Thorpe.

Yes forgot about Balders, top effort from Claire.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
With the exception of the normal Match of the Day shower, I think the general level of coverage has been outstanding.

I must admit that the ability to provide such extended coverage on two TV channels, plus other alternative channels (e.g. Red Button" and Internet) to such a high standard is a fantastic feat for the BBC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Class with their knowledge and/or non-arrogant presenting:

Balding
Ian Thorpe
Redgrave
Denise Lewis
Michael Johnson
Colin Jackson
Topolski
Herbert
Boardman
Hugh Porter

Boring & predictably wheeled out by the BBC:
Inverdale (should stick to rugby union)
Lineker

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Balding's been comfortably the best presenter. Michael Johnson's a brilliant pundit and I'm so glad we have him. Jake Humphrey did a great job with the track cycling.

Obviously Paul Dickenson, Steve Cram etc.. for the athletics commentary. Outside of the high profile sports, it's been a bit mixed (understandably I guess) - the beach volleyball chap did a great job of describing the events, delivering the drama etc.. keeping you involved. Likewise Barry Davis with the hockey. Other sports (most notably the indoor volleyball), often I'd switch over and there'd be complete silence for most of it, with the occasional words muttered in between points, which would lessen the enjoyment a little bit. So I found myself actively watching the sports with the better, more informative commentators. Unfortunately most of the names are lost on me as I watched just about every sport in the games at some point.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who was the bloke who did the interviews in the Velodrome and the Gymnastics?

He seemed to totally gush over everything. Got quite nauseating after a while.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Good - Clare Balding, Michael Johnson, Ian Thorpe, Mark Foster, Gabby Logan, Barry Davies, Steve Cram, The two guys who did the swimming commentary.

Poor - Gary Lineker, Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, Sharon Davis, The One Show presenter.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Also meant to add Inverdale to the poor list.

One commentator who surprised me was Alan Green on the radio. I can't stand him when he's commentating on football but he was brilliant with the rowing, knowledgable and enthusiastic.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
And who has disappointed?

For me the best Presenters have been Jake Humphrey, John Inverdale and surprisingly Michelle Hussain.

Best commentators have been Steve Cram and Steve Redgrave.

Worst for me would be Gary 'Wooden' Lineker and Colin Jackson, Denise Lewis.
Me too. Surprised Michelle Hussain was so good

Oct 25, 2003
balding and humphrey are the best the bbc have to offer in my view........

a lot of the pundits/experts they've had in have been superb as well, especially for me as they were talking about sports that I rarely watch but I found myself becoming more and more knowledgeable because of them

blows bbc's match of the day coverage out of the water

Humphrey & Balding great presenters.

One who stood out as not great when he was doing punditry in studio was McEnroe. Brought in purely because of his name, and didn't know anything about sports he was being asked about or athletes in the studio he was involved in discussion with. Yes the first may be understandable but you'd have thought he would have done a little research into a sport before going on air.

Tried to compensate for it by trying to be funny-tried to hard to make a joke out of everything and that came across on air!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here