Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which position should Wendy be aiming to fill next?

Which position on the park needs addressing next?

• Keeper

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Centre Back

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Full Back

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Centre Midfield

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Wide Midfield

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Striker

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
But as someone else said,1. he is injury prone and 2. he does tend to get suspended a lot, therefore cover is definately required.

that was all..
I don't recall him being injured or suspended too much last season, didn't he play nearly 50 games?? He had that hernia problem, which a lot of our players seem to get :shrug: that's all I can remember though.

I think if Bertin signs our central midfield is sorted, could do with giving Hammond a longer contract though. Our defence also looks done to me, possibly we could do with an experienced leftback but Mayo is presumably staying so that's unlikely. Rents should make it his own anyway.

So I'd say if Bertin signs, then possibly a winger if we can get someone of the quality of Currie, or Rohan Ricketts...

Also a goalkeeping coach!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He is certainly not 'injury prone', though like any CM he's going to miss 3 or 4 games a season through suspension.

Reid can move central to cover that, easily. Money should be spent elsewhere; Bertin / Left Back / Keeper in that order of priority.

Yes he is....why do you argue with EVERYTHING I say?

Its getting tedious

Sheesh

"flounce"

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't recall him being injured or suspended too much last season, didn't he play nearly 50 games?? He had that hernia problem, which a lot of our players seem to get :shrug: that's all I can remember though.

I think if Bertin signs our central midfield is sorted, could do with giving Hammond a longer contract though. Our defence also looks done to me, possibly we could do with an experienced leftback but Mayo is presumably staying so that's unlikely. Rents should make it his own anyway.

So I'd say if Bertin signs, then possibly a winger if we can get someone of the quality of Currie, or Rohan Ricketts...

Also a goalkeeping coach!

I will answer you as that Hans Kray is getting on my tits....:lolol:

He was suspended a few times last year and had a hernia problem which I seem to recall he had the year before also......

Hernia problems are notoriously difficult to get rid of, even after ops, so it is something that he may always suffer from.

That is all

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
A creative midfielder with good delivery so Darren Currie would be my number 1 target. Get him and I'd settle for the squad we have already. For me Bertin is not essential.

Having watched Forster play many times for Reading he seems to rely heavily on well timed through/long balls. While I think the likes of Cox and Reid will certainly provide some quality I think somebody of Curries standard would really get the most out of Forsters movement.

I would be quite happy to give him 3 years as per Forster.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Schrödinger's Toad;2058441 said:
Would have thought a new keeper would be a priority, as at least a back-up, but probably in reality more as a replacement for Kuipers.

Wilkins has just signed him up for another year - with the possibility of a further year after that. As it happens, and as you can tell from that, Wilkins does rate Kuipers, although there is a 'but' to that...

Wilkins also rates Dean Hammond very highly. In fact, he is frustrated by him at times for sometimes playing the 'safe' pass, rather than having the confidence to attempt the 'killer' through-ball, if you see what I mean.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Personally, I think FDM is a great keeper. Superb shot-stopper, very agile, hard as nails and much improved in his distribution.

Rents will (should) come on a ton this season and play well at left back.

But we don't create enough.

Cox has the potential to feed the strikers, but we need more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Because the one we have is awful I imagine. If we are serious about staying in this division then we need a new keeper - there is no doubt about it.

Why do you think Kuipers is awful? To be honest, I just don't understand why you would say that... OK, distribution not great, but he is a great shot-stopper, commands his area, and doesn't really let us down when he is given the chance to play... distribution is just not the most important asset for a goalie...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Because even if Kuipers is still good enough, and I'm far from sure that's the case, he's certainly not reliable enough to last a season.

I agree that he may get injured, so get a loan in, but only IF required...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I agree that he may get injured, so get a loan in, but only IF required...

But then you've got a keeper who doesn't know the defence well.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I'd take a quality new keeper over an average one who happens to know his defenders well any day. A successful season starts at the back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
If Sullivan is ever going to make it, then he needs to be number 2 this season and know there will be no hesitation in throwing him in should Michel get injured, suspended, or lose form. People who say he is not good enough quite clearly weren't watching his transformation of the defence in January and February last season, which along with Bas' goals, saved us.

I would say we are desperately short of a flair player to feed the abundance of strikers. So, definitely a creative player, followed by a central midfielder if Bertin goes. Other than that, I think we're ok.

One situation I would like addressed is the complete lack of a leader and motivator in the squad. Hammond did well as captain, and should keep the job, but I would like to see one of the remaining signings to be a real natural leader. As much as I disliked Cullip the footballer, Cullip the leader is someone we have never replaced.

out of interest why did you dislike cullip the footballer?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My problem with him was his ability as a footballer. I think he was clumsy, unskilful, and positionally a joke. But, because he rolled his sleeves up, albion fans tended to have a vastly inflated opinion of his talents. He's ok, and ok only, in a lower league or struggling team, where he can get stuck in and lead by example, but when it came to talent I think he was woeful. Someone like Simon Morgan absolutely showed him up. QUOTE]

Utter tosh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here