Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which OBSCURE Albion games have you been to?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
6th May 1967 - 1-1 draw against Middlesbrough which was the point that Middlesbrough needed to get promoted from the old thrid division with QPR. We just avoided relegation by two points with Swansea, Darlington, Doncaster and Workington going down.

unnameable

Feb 25, 2004
Oxford/Lancing
It was in either December 1989 or December 1990, at the Goldstone, v Charlton Athletic, in the Zenith Data Systems Cup. Albion won 2-0. Robert Codner scored a superb goal at the North Stand end. Some 2,500 people were there, including two from Charlton. That's as obscure as it gets for me.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Soton Seagull said:
All the home reserve games from about 92-94. I also went to the New Zealand game at the Goldstone.

Southampton away reserve game in about 1996 when I was a student. We drew 1-1, with Peter Smith getting praise from the saints faithful and Jeff Minton scoring a peach!
i went 2 that saints reserves game as well. anyone on here actully go in from the start of the mansfield boycott game? i was one of the 1's that went in at half time and watched the 2nd half from the directors box but there cant of been many in there from the start

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Meade's_Ball said:
I went to a game somewhere in Sussex that promised to have some Albion players there. It was a charity event of some kind. In the end, no Albion players showed and we were treated to a full 90-minute game that involved a midget who was an Ewok in Return of the Jedi, the brother of Cat from Red Dwarf and a Norman Wisdom impressionist.
It was an amazing day.

btw this was at Burgess Hill's ground in about 1995 i think. The weather was glorious, the ice creams melted fast and the midget was a rather excellent striker.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Storer68 said:
1989 Zenith Data Systems Cup

A midweek night game away to Norwich City..........................

lost 5-0:lolol: :lol: :lol:

I was at that game! I was at uni in Norwich and I think that was the only time I got to see the Albion at Carrow Road, although I saw them three times at Ipswich.

Must more entertaining than the game was my mate who'd taken some acid not long before kick-off. He was laughing throughout the whole thing, even when facing the wrong way.

Saw the reserves play AWAY at Portsmouth during the Barry Lloyd era. Not out of loyalty, but in those days I was living 10 minutes walk fropm Fratton Park. Slightly preferable to living in Beirut or Baghdad, but only just! Can't remember the score, but I believe we lost.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't really count as I remember @ the time being suprised by the amount of people there, (more than 50). But Huddersfield away on a dodgy weds eve, can't date it but I think 'flash' Walker scored.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the old auto windscreen at the goldstone, when they used to open only the west stand. i remember one game, think it was bristol rovers in the most disgusting green and grey kit ever seen. i don't remember much of the game, i fell asleep shortly into the second half. i was only 7 or 8 though!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
graz126 said:
away at walsall in ldv throphy about 1997 i think. night game. but a few brighton fans went. think we got beat about 6.0

I went to that! It was hilarious. We had a load of Irish kids playing for us, the worst of which was I think called Ross McNally. He got booked for a hoorible challenge which was the closest he got to the ball

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
tommy boy 86 said:
i went to one of the inter-toto cup games they had at the goldstone, wimbledon against some team, turkish i think.

That was a VERY bizzare day out, although I thought the opposition were Swiss (or similar!). I was in the West Stand with loads Wimbledon and Albion shirts and the North Stand was populated by Swiss(or similar) fans with flags and banners. Not sure if the South Stand or East Terrace was open.

Oct 25, 2003
Cheeky Monkey said:
That was a VERY bizzare day out, although I thought the opposition were Swiss (or similar!). I was in the West Stand with loads Wimbledon and Albion shirts and the North Stand was populated by Swiss(or similar) fans with flags and banners. Not sure if the South Stand or East Terrace was open.
they mighta been swiss- i really can't remember. the east terrave was either closed or empty, can't remember about the south stand though

another one to add to this list: who else found the multi-disability match a bit bizarre?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
tommy boy 86 said:
they mighta been swiss- i really can't remember. the east terrave was either closed or empty, can't remember about the south stand though

another one to add to this list: who else found the multi-disability match a bit bizarre?

i was in the south stand!

the multi-disability match wasn't bad. just not sure why the english national anthem was replaced by sussex by the sea

Oct 25, 2003
Scotty M said:

the multi-disability match wasn't bad. just not sure why the english national anthem was replaced by sussex by the sea
i believe it was that game when you became an old varndeanians youth player.

i found it bizarre just because the south stand was closed, and there was about 200 people, all in the north stand, no away support(apart from some bint in the dugout with a little flag), and yes, the english national anthem being replaced by GOSBTS

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
ah yes. the norweigan fans in the home dugout?

that must of been ecoverts last game in charge. decided to rack up a nice electricity bill by turning on all the lights on the south stand, when no one was allowed round there.

spent the game in the press box, as the only press were a few parents taking photos on the track

Thursday 9 May 1996

Not the rearranged, post "riot", York City game earlier in the day, but an evening friendly played on the same day by a completely knackered Albion team against Ringmer - in aid of the Ringmer Community College minibus fund.

A narrow victory by the Albion (who included Jimmy Case in the playing squad, as well as most of the team that had lost to York City) against a Ringmer team that gave a run-out to some of the Ringmer Rovers Under 16s - who more than held their own against Albion players who should have run them all ragged.

The teaboy was, however, quite impressed by the goalkeeping advice freely given to him by Nicky Rust Rust Rust - although he later learned the lesson that "there are other sources of better advice".

:)

Last edited:

Not really Albion related but I went to an England Women's international at the Goldstone (1991) for a European Championship match v Iceland.

I think we lost.

and as for the Intertoto Cup games I went to the Tottenham (in name only but actually a load of out of contract ex Northampton Town players) v Luzern (packed with about 8 Swiss internationals) luzern won 2-0 and all their fans (and they brought a fair few with them - by gum they must have been disappointed) were stuffed into the South Stand and everyone else was in the West Stand seats. But we did have the UEFA flasg flying from the flagpoles in the north east corner.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
tommy boy 86 said:
we tried to put a flag up in the away stand, but were told to get back into the north stand:angry:

yes, the away stand was out of bounds

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here