Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the nation's best supported club?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I remember Burnley always getting a mention because the average home gate is equivalent to such a high percentage of the population of the town.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
i reckon Norwich must be full up in the home section every week.They seem to get over 24,000 every time and they have been pretty shit for the last few years.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Ipswich Town without a dadow of a shout, crowds at Portman Road out of all proportion to a town with a very small population.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
AFC Wimbledon, currently surviving on gates of around 3000 in the Blue Square South, though it has to be mentioned that they are top...I expect to see them in the league within 3 or 4 seasons.

Talking of AFC... ther's no doubt in my mind that they will be in Div2 in the near future and have lots of potential. However, I wonder how long it will be until they start facing th same issue that dogged Wimbledon FC. I don't think Kingsmeadow reaches League Standard and don't think it has much space for enlargement.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Either Man City or Newcastle for me.

Man City still managed to average ovr 25000 when they were in the same league as we're in now and any club that can pull in that volume of support at this level deserves credit.

Also, Newcastle have had nothing to celebrate from a trophy perspective and again, their average attendance over the last 25 years has hardly fallen below 25,000.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Also, Newcastle have had nothing to celebrate from a trophy perspective and again, their average attendance over the last 25 years has hardly fallen below 25,000.

Late 80's / early 90's their attendences were down to 16k - 20k

"fanatical geordies" my arse.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle 0-0 Brighton 1990 Att: 10,404

But I thought geordies loved their football?

And 8,000 of those only came to see the Albion in town.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Hate to say it, but Leeds always impress me with the numbers they bring.
They played Swindon away last weekend and filled out both the stands, where as we could barely fill the side stand on the league game.

Sunderland fans alway impress me too on the amount of fans they bring to away games

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sunderland fans alway impress me too on the amount of fans they bring to away games

Do you blame them ? If I could come up with a reason to leave Sunderland for the day, I'd bloody well take it as often as I could.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Didn't we play them twice that season? In the Coca Cola and the FA cups? I went to one of those games and the place was packed but one end of the ground was closed due to rebuilding and I thought that the crowd was a near capacity of around 33,000.

I remember United in the 2nd division getting full houses for every game. No fan of theirs but they must have the best support in the country which surely must equate into numbers willing to pay to watch them.

Otherwise you'd have to give it to one division in living memory Rochdale, how f***ing depressing it must be to have followed them for 40 years.

Now if the question was Who are the nations best supporters it would be a totally different answer, but to the question asked, it has to be Man Utd

Just checked, the crowd for the Coca Cola cup game was 25405. I know thats not a bad crowd for that round of that cup, but for a club that calls itself one of the biggest in the world it's a bit poor.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Talking of AFC... ther's no doubt in my mind that they will be in Div2 in the near future and have lots of potential. However, I wonder how long it will be until they start facing th same issue that dogged Wimbledon FC. I don't think Kingsmeadow reaches League Standard and don't think it has much space for enlargement.

Fair point, the London Borough of Merton didn't exactly bathe itself in glory last time did it...I am guessing that Kingsmeadow has sufficient grading for the Conference but I don't know how much more work it would need to meet Football League requirements.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
i hate to say it but Leeds, with attendences over 20,000 and sometimes reaching nearly 40,000 and taking thousands away with always great vocal support

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here