Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which is the nation's best supported club?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Derby is a good shout. It's a real football town in the sense that almost everyone, even if they're not going, is right behind the club - and they hardly ever get less than 25,000, a more than respectable percentage of the population.

Forest and Leicester aren't bad either in that region, and as someone else said Ipswich and Norwich have nothing to be ashamed of. Well, apart from the stupid accent, obviously.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Both. Man United have always had miles more fans than Leeds and the Japanese coach party thing is also a bit of a chuckle.

I was partly joking about the Leeds thing but I'm very serious about the Japanese coach party thing. Thousands of seats are taken up regulalry at Old Trafford by this sort of thing.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Probably Derby. If they had dominated the Premier League like United have since it started they would sell out a stadium the size of Old Trafford week in week out.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
Only five times since 1947 have we averaged over 20,000.

We have also not averaged over 10,000 since 1985.

I think we are going to have trouble filling Falmer once this euphoria dies down...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
This club is very popular with me

080525_jacobs.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went to see United 4 times at Old Trafford in about 1975/76 (the year after they were relegated) and the smallest gate when I went was 48,000 against Fulham I think. Its a complete myth that all their fans come from anywhere but Manchester. Yes they do have fans coming in from far and wide but they are easily the biggest supported club in England.

Best fans............ I reckon Ipswich and Norwich hold their own in that department.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
only two teams have had average attendances of over 20,000 for every single season they've been in league football.

Tottenham Hotspur and Manchester United.

also the only two teams to have won a trophy in each of the last six decades.

(end sad trainspotter-ish communication)

seriously? which decade did Liverpool not win a trophy??

suprised Arsenal aren't one of the teams either?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
AFC Wimbledon, currently surviving on gates of around 3000 in the Blue Square South, though it has to be mentioned that they are top...I expect to see them in the league within 3 or 4 seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here