Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which HORROR film...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
...has SHIT YOU UP the most EVER?

And how did you react? Hands in front of eyes? Fast forwarding? Literally pissing yourself? Didn't sleep that night?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
American Werewolf in London when I was about 13 I think. Particularly the bit in the Underground Station

Oh and the Nightmare on Elm Street stuff at around the same time.

Both seem pretty tame these days!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Ringu is bloody terrifying, watch it again last year on a sunny afternoon and I still was scared

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Hitchcock is the man that knows how to fill me with fear.

Psycho, to me is an unnerving film. Not relying on SFX, it is shown in black and white, adding to it's haunting element.

The Birds is equally difficult to watch.

The man is/was a gifted storyteller, knowing fully how to deliver an uncomfortable, intriguing film.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Hitchcock is the man that knows how to fill me with fear.

Psycho, to me is an unnerving film. Not relying on SFX, it is shown in black and white, adding to it's haunting element.

The Birds is equally difficult to watch.

The man is/was a gifted storyteller, knowing fully how to deliver an uncomfortable, intriguing film.

Agree with this

Also freaked out by Les Diaboliques - a brilliant piece of film making

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The end bit on the first Friday 13th, watching it home alone on video (you know those big tape things), when she is in the boat on the lake, I didnt see that coming

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The Sixth Sense

Not so much the film, but the fact that whilst watching it, one of my wife's teddy bears fell off a shelf above me and landed on my head, scared the living crap out of me.

Mr Everyone

Jan 12, 2008
Long Eaton
Roman Polanski followed the theme set by Hitchcock with Frantic.

The viewer was placed in a position whereby they had absolutely no idea what was happening with the main character's (Harrison Ford)wife.

I remember watching this film when I was about 8/9 and found it wholly gripping.

Last edited:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Agree about Hitchcock's Psycho,

and this

alien_movie_poster.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In terms of recent(ish) stuff, I went to the cinema to see The Ring when it first came out, not really having a clue what it was about. There's a grotesque flashback moment when they discover a dead girl in her bedroom, her face all twisted and her head sort of lolls forward, that was 'orrible. And my blood went cold when that thing climbed out through the TV.

When I was a kid, Alien PROPER shit me up. Not so much the famous chest-bursting scene, more the innate terror and tension as they walked round those dark corridors.

Also Salems Lot, the one with David Soul. That snaggle-toothed vampire was just about the most hideous creature I'd seen in my young life at the time. And the bit where the kid is floating outside his window, tapping and scraping on the glass pleading to be let in. Makes me shudder now just thinking about it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Also Salems Lot, the one with David Soul. That snaggle-toothed vampire was just about the most hideous creature I'd seen in my young life ...

I always thought Soul was a bit of a heart-throb with the laydeez

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In terms of recent(ish) stuff, I went to the cinema to see The Ring when it first came out, not really having a clue what it was about. There's a grotesque flashback moment when they discover a dead girl in her bedroom, her face all twisted and her head sort of lolls forward, that was 'orrible. And my blood went cold when that thing climbed out through the TV.

When I was a kid, Alien PROPER shit me up. Not so much the famous chest-bursting scene, more the innate terror and tension as they walked round those dark corridors.

THESE.

I saw The Ring at the cinema, pretty much the only horror film I have (and will ever see) on the big screen. Exactly like you said, that messed up face completely freaked me out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mine appear to have been covered.

As a kid it was nightmare on elm street. It gave me nightmares, I thought Freddie was climbing out the george michael poster my sister had put in my room because she ran out of space in her room. Thanks to my paretns comforting me and making it clear to me it was a film and everything was fake and no one got hurt etc. I was never scared by a film again (though thing have made me jump).

Until watching Ringu late at night in an empty house. The aforementioned dead girl and girl crawling out the TV scenes really freaked me out. Couldn't sleep much that night. I then watched Ringu 2 the following night and that was equally freaky with a girl in an asylum who just stared.

I was pretty creeped out by the first half hour of The Strangers watching it late at night in an empty house, so turned it off, and watched it the next day in the sunlight. Wasn't nearly as scary.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
The original version of 'The Haunting' is the scariest thing I have ever seen.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The Exorcist - watched this as a re-release on a wet Wednesday alone with just one other person in the cinema. I had to keep telling myself "it's only a film". All the while I was convinced the other guy in the cinema, who sat just a row and a few seats behind me one some kind of demonic killer.

More recently, Blair Witch Project. So simple yet so unnerving. The end scene had me and Mrs Oscar jumpy for days.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah, The Shining creeped me out when I first saw it aged about 10. Not so much shock horror but the atmosphere in that hotel scared the shit out of me, All those long corridors, empty ballrooms etc just freaked me out. I watched it in the perfect atmosphere for being scared shitless though. Was staying in at Boarding School one Sat night, one of only 2 boys in the whole boarding house staying in that weekend.

I had a small hand held telly with a tiny screen that I watched it on under my covers.

His dorm was opposite end of building than mine, no-one else in a 24 bed dorm and a long, poorly lit corridor connecting the two, strecthing the full length of the building.

If you stood at one end, which you had to do to go to the toilets you could see all the way down to the other corridor end, about 40 metres. I went to the toilet about 1 in the morning half way through the film, at the exact same time the other lad did the same, as I looked down the corridor he passed by the other end between two doors, a shadowey distant figure!. I jumped out of my skin, ran back to the dorm and pissed in my water mug instead of venturing back out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here