Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which Albion signing surprised you the most?...

gjh1971

May 7, 2007
Mickey Thomas, but like Marshy it was for the opposite reasons.

That was a signing I remember so clearly and fondly from my childhood, because that was us buying someone from Manchester Utd! Woo hoo. And not one of their kids (Ritchie) coming in and doing nothing to stop my sobbing at the loss of Ward :bowdown: but a genuine Man Utd regular, who everyone knew, was coming to MY club.

Shame he turned out to be complete pants, and kept vanishing back to the valleys everytime we turned our backs.

We signed him from Everton

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Darren Currie. Free transfer from Wycombe? The most gifter passer/crosser of the ball I have ever seen live (excluding Beckham!)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Steve Penny.................. Oh not another useless Irish kid I thought when we signed him.

Jimbo26

Jan 25, 2007
Portslade Old Village
Mickey Thomas, but like Marshy it was for the opposite reasons.

That was a signing I remember so clearly and fondly from my childhood, because that was us buying someone from Manchester Utd! Woo hoo. And not one of their kids (Ritchie) coming in and doing nothing to stop my sobbing at the loss of Ward :bowdown: but a genuine Man Utd regular, who everyone knew, was coming to MY club.

Shame he turned out to be complete pants, and kept vanishing back to the valleys everytime we turned our backs.

We actually bought him from Everton

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Darren Currie for about 20 minues or so.

I saw him in a pre-season friendly possibly Stevenage ?

Overweight and rubbish, thought I'd seen the last of him. He then put in a sublime cross to Leon Knight (remember him) and my mind changed.

Not sure I've seen a better corner taker in an Albion shirt.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I always thought Lloyd Owusu was a waste of space.... :blush:

Michel Kuipers aswell.. after his debut I thought he was a joke! And then Cartwright got injured and all of a sudden, Michel was amazing!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I was underwhelmed when we signed some 29yo nobody from a Greek club I had never heard off, but Mickey Small is one of my favourite Albion players of all time.
Was thinking the other day, whatever happened to my "Simply The Best" T-shirt. Anyone else have one of them?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Junior Lewis had been slagged off by Leicester fans and I wasn't expecting much but I thought he made a major contribution to our success that season.

D

Deleted User X18H

Dean Saunders,,best free transfer ever,altough chris cattlin once told me,he cost us the train fare from swansea.
Chris Cattlin told anyone who would listen that story in fact if you went down Kings Road now!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here