Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you be looking to strengthen in January?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
6 months left on contract in January - Murray, Bong, Schelotto, Balogun.

18 months left on contract in January - Pröpper, Stephens, Izquierdo, Button, Steele.

It may be a case of maximising any fee on some of the above

All of the 6 months ones I think are being kept as back up with no intention on either side of a new contract being signed.

I expect we will have offered Davy a new contract and I think he will assess his options in the summer

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I suppose the point about Butland (assuming you can get him back to his best) is that you could have a debate about who is the better keeper out of him and Maty. With Button and Steele, they are clearly back up rather than competition. My view is that Maty would keep the shirt if we signed Butland, but he'd have someone breathing down his neck for the place and keep him honest.

Having said that, there's some talk that the dressing room is Stoke isn't a good place and I have no idea what his character is like. It also depends on the wider plan with keepers. We will surely have to make a decision on Walton and maybe Sanchez this summer and probably already have, so any recruitment would have to fit in with this plan.

No for all I know he may be a complete dickhead, but assuming he isn't to have him and Ryan competing for a 1st team place would be a good thing at least from an outsiders perspective. There was a very good keeper in there only 18 months ago and if we could rebuild his confidence we could potentially get a player we could never ordinarily afford in this mad market. Course he may be terminally shite.....:D

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unless there’s a season ending injury to a key player, my guess is that the club won’t acquire any PL squad players in January.

GP is undoubtedly improving what we already have, with hopefully more to come, for example with Bissouma.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Unless there’s a season ending injury to a key player, my guess is that the club won’t acquire any PL squad players in January.

GP is undoubtedly improving what we already have, with hopefully more to come, for example with Bissouma.
Nah, I don't see that at all.

I'm sure they'll buy a 'different' (tall) striker.
I can also see them testing the water on a full back, or two, without being keen to close a less than Grade A deal.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I can picture it now :

The year is 2029.. and we really do need a Murray replacement - but he just keeps on coming off the bench and scoring - so we can't let go. He's now got a head of hair like Michael Jackson circa 1979 thanks to his bulk-buy at the transplant shop, and we are starting to suspect he's a Cyborg.

Lol. The film Cocoon springs to mind.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'd like us to sign Eberechi Eze from QPR

I didn't know much about this player prior to this season other than he was on loan at Wycombe and had featured in a few England youth teams, but I am a big fan now.

Lots to like about him: hard to dispossess, quick, can dribble, scores and assists, can play anywhere in midfield, accurate passer. Plus counts as a home grown.

He should definitely be on our radar. Could have a very high ceiling.

Contracted to 2021, but I think QPR will struggle to persuade him to sign a contract extension in the summer if they don't go up and may cash in rather than risk him going for a lot less the following year.

Probably worth considering buying and loaning back to QPR for the second half of the season if our position is looking secure.

He will have already have a lot of suitors, and the list will grow and grow if he sustains this form.

Realistically we may have missed the boat with this one, but certainly worth trying.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Fullbacks, def midfielder, pacy unit winger that doesn’t get pushed off the ball and at least 1 forward if Andone to be banished.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Main priority has to be a match ready player. No injuries, no fitness issues, no adjustment, no development squad...Just old fashioned straight into first team because he’s better than what we currently have. Remember those players?!!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Right back, and reserve right back maybe , forward, midfield in that order!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
- A couple of U23s that might need permits, and will be the next iteration of the Tau / Mac Allister strategy - for the 2021/22 squad.

- Glen Kamara, possibly meaning Bissouma goes out on loan.

- An U23 striker - who'll be bit part 4th pick senior striker - or recall Mlakar from QPR.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here