Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where would you be looking to strengthen in January?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What would a Murray replacement @ (say) 26 years old cost i.e. a 1 in 2.5 games target man with great feet, good in the air and a top free kick and penalty winner??? Sebastien Haller is the closest I can think of and he cost West Ham £45m

....and sit on the bench?

We need a fourth striker for sure ...but for now as back up not to start....imho

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think the player that will most surprise us before the end of the season will be Ali J.
He'll eventually get in the side, score a few goals and become an established Albion player. He has a lot of quality that will be more suited to Potterball than Chris Hughton's style. He's a natural goalscorer who arrived at the club with the wrong manager in charge to suit his qualities.

n.b. expect me to bounce this post in May.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd recall Jan Mlakar from QPR. Might as well be our 4th pick striker - or on loan at a different club - rather than be a QPR bench player.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I think the player that will most surprise us before the end of the season will be Ali J.
He'll eventually get in the side, score a few goals and become an established Albion player. He has a lot of quality that will be more suited to Potterball than Chris Hughton's style. He's a natural goalscorer who arrived at the club with the wrong manager in charge to suit his qualities.

Alireza can't even get on the bench. What do you expect to change to facilitate his progression from caterpillar to butterfly?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I won’t hold my breath...

(not until May obviously, that would be silly).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Priorities pretty much unchanged for me.

1 A right wing back who can shoot. We don't have great options as cover/alternative to Montoya. (with apologies to fans of the Greyhound)
2 Another striker, you always need another striker. We can muddle through playing one up front if we start picking up injuries, why muddle through though? Sign someone for next season and get them bedded in, if we can find the right player.

Pretty much agree with this.

Perhaps we still have that extra stiker already on our books. If Florin Andone hadn't turned out to be so hot headed l think his signing could still have turned out to be quite astute one. Too much has been said by the player since his loan move to Galatasaray for him ever to be back permanantly though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Don't worry, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] will be bouncing every post ever made on AJ if this happens! :D:whistle:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What would a Murray replacement @ (say) 26 years old cost i.e. a 1 in 2.5 games target man with great feet, good in the air and a top free kick and penalty winner??? Sebastien Haller is the closest I can think of and he cost West Ham £45m

That's probably the going rate. Also be prepared for the £100k + per week salary

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I'm going to be slaughtered for this but here goes....Jack Butland. Hideously out of form granted, but at his best arguably the best English goalkeeper. We could get him cheap currently and his wage demands may have declined too. Potter appears to be good at rehabilitating players and if he gets him going we've signed a top player, if not, we keep Ryan and they compete for the no.1 position at least until the end of the season. Then we make a decision. Ryan is a good keeper but an on form Butland is a better one IMO at least.

I'd like to see another option at RB and another striker too. Both ideally young and pacey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't worry, [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] will be bouncing every post ever made on AJ if this happens! :D:whistle:
Not me, I'm very much holding Ivy's coat on that one.

My man is setting goal scoring records...

...in Germany :facepalm:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm going to be slaughtered for this but here goes....Jack Butland. Hideously out of form granted, but at his best arguably the best English goalkeeper. We could get him cheap currently and his wage demands may have declined too. Potter appears to be good at rehabilitating players and if he gets him going we've signed a top player, if not, we keep Ryan and they compete for the no.1 position at least until the end of the season. Then we make a decision. Ryan is a good keeper but an on form Butland is a better one IMO at least.

I'd like to see another option at RB and another striker too. Both ideally young and pacey.

Has Romaric Yapi who we singed from PSG been written off already ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Wasnt he being quoted as available at £40m in the summer when Bournemouth enquired.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
6 months left on contract in January - Murray, Bong, Schelotto, Balogun.

18 months left on contract in January - Pröpper, Stephens, Izquierdo, Button, Steele.

It may be a case of maximising any fee on some of the above

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

I suppose the point about Butland (assuming you can get him back to his best) is that you could have a debate about who is the better keeper out of him and Maty. With Button and Steele, they are clearly back up rather than competition. My view is that Maty would keep the shirt if we signed Butland, but he'd have someone breathing down his neck for the place and keep him honest.

Having said that, there's some talk that the dressing room is Stoke isn't a good place and I have no idea what his character is like. It also depends on the wider plan with keepers. We will surely have to make a decision on Walton and maybe Sanchez this summer and probably already have, so any recruitment would have to fit in with this plan.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont think much, if anything, will happen unless we there's some serious injuries. I could maybe see a right back signing. And I guess Murray could be moving if he wants a lot of play time in his final years because his days as a regular starter in Brighton are over, and in that case a new striker is probably needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here