Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where to live in brighton?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hanover is the best area in Brighton BAR NONE! Great pubs (Walmer, No Name, Greys, Hanover etc etc) , good sense of community, nice people, Queens Park, houses with character, central... i could go on...

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
To be fair, when I visit the I prefer to stay in Kemptown, it has everything you need there, Boots, Newagents, nice places to eat, coffee bars and decent pub with nice food. (The skyrocket or something like that!) The beach is real near and centre of Brighton 5-10 minute walk! I woulds love to live there if I could afford it!!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Jimmy Saville said:
Hanover is the best area in Brighton BAR NONE! Great pubs (Walmer, No Name, Greys, Hanover etc etc) , good sense of community, nice people, Queens Park, houses with character, central... i could go on...

Though you must agree it's a bit of a bastard walking up the hill.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Agreed! Hanover is the best area in Brighton BAR NONE with the only downside being the bastard hill.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
king Wombat said:

We're looking for somewhere trendy, safe and reasonably cheap... money wise up to 200k - for a 3 bed flat/terrace would be great

/B]

good luck,
if you get the above, please tell us so we can all move there.
i am not aware of ANY 3 bedroom terraced houses in brighton that are gonna cost less than £200k that are either trendy or safe. sorry to be an arse.

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
king Wombat said:

I'm guessing the 'predominantly gay areas' ie kemptown are relatively safe??

you'd be surprised.
i wouldn't fancy walking up st. james street after midnight, they have had a few attacks there. Generally, it would seem, if you are mistaken for being gay, you could get a queer bashing. I am exagerrating slightly but I wouldn't bank on kemptown being as safe as you hope.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i live in lancing,the devlopement is buy the bridge pub,its along the river and has housing 2 late nite bars couple of restaurants,and shoreham already has couple of trendy places nia and the shore bar,its only 10 mins from me,but deffo has better feel bout the place

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Queens Park/Hannover is where its at for me. I live here! But for your money, you would get exactly what you live in now or less. The majority of the hosing is victorian grid iron, and bungarooshe built.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Strike said:
I am thinking of moving to the Burgess Hill/ Haywards Heath area or the Newhaven area. I am also considering Shoreham. How do you rate these areas, and would I be able to get a exchange to these places with a council flat?
read above posts on shoreham

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
afters said:
ignore the homophobic crap about kemptown, it's a nice area.

I hope that is not aimed at me as I am not making any homophobic comment at all just pointing out it may not suit some peoples lifestyles and they have a choice.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
afters said:
mr wombat, you'll regret it for sure if you listen to the advice from this thread which seems to answer the question which is the best bit of brighton & hove to move to is newhaven or saltdean!

with your budget get yourself a flat in town. ignore the homophobic crap about kemptown, it's a nice area. others i'd recommend are seven dials, five ways or moving into hove brunswick area.

The reason those areas were mentioned is because of price.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Whats wrong with Seaford?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
I've lived in Hanover, Portslade (south of Old Shoreham Road) and Preston Park.

Hanover was very friendly and had a real sense of community and some great pubs, but the lack of front garden and many student houses meant that it was pretty noisy on occasions and we got exhaust fumes in our house whenever a car outside came or went.

Portslade was fine, and is an up and coming area, but still full of people whose families have lived in the area for generations.

Where I am near Preston Park is great for me right now with kids ranging from 3 to 15 years old.

And I grew up in Crawley. What a soulless and quite violent place that was then (and probably still is).

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Beach Hut said:
I hope that is not aimed at me as I am not making any homophobic comment at all just pointing out it may not suit some peoples lifestyles and they have a choice.

it wasn't. it was a general statement....

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Strike said:
I am thinking of moving to the Burgess Hill/ Haywards Heath area or the Newhaven area. I am also considering Shoreham. How do you rate these areas, and would I be able to get a exchange to these places with a council flat?

I have lived in BH for 7 years, it's quiet where I am and never seems to have any trouble. The shopping centre is ok, but nothing special. It's also handy for A23/M23 access.

It seems an ok place to live, but is not all that 'happening'.

I moved their from Woodingdean to reduce my commute time to London - at the point where I stop working in London, I will certainly be looking to move back to somewhere like Shoreham.

just_bhafc

Oct 14, 2003
Shoreham Beach
Shoreham by Sea - great beaches, great pubs (20 at my last count) and a real sense of community.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here