Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where to live in brighton?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:
I like it.

Compared to Huddersfield & Yorkshire it is so peaceful, neat and tidy.

Having recently been to Newhaven for Yorkie's house-warming I can vouch for the place, sort of. Where Yorkie is, it's got really nice views of the Downs, there's baby Seagulls on the roofs (good news for all you clay-pigeon afficionados) and the quiet, comfortable train from Newhaven Town to Brighton arrives punctuually at Newhaven and only needs re-booting once, at Lewes, to make the doors open. Yup, they switch it off and on again. Have to say it WAS a tad unusual to walk the length of Newhaven High Street on a Saturday afternoon and find shops such Woolies and the Co-op closed for the day. Tho I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation. Also, a minor gripe, not an off-licence to be found anywhere in the place. But with Dieppe a mere two hours away by SuperSeaCat who amongst us really cares aye?

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Newhaven is a nice place I would love to live there, At the moment I am hoping to get a council flat through the Foyer where I live in Crawley, once I do I am hoping to put myself on the exchange list.

The areas I would love to move to outside Crawley would be the Mid-Sussex, Lewes District area. Is it possible for a 18 year old to get themself an exchange with a council flat outside the area?

D

Deleted User X18H

Preston Circ - If of course one can afford it handy for the withers.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Maybe it's the type of question?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Beach Hut said:
Seriously I'd avoid Central Brighton and Kemptown (unless you are happy living in a predominantly Gay Community).

My mum lives in the centre of town, my dad lives in Kemptown. The fact that they're "predominantly gay" (how can you tell?) doesn't bother me.

The fact that they're "predominantly wankers from London" bothers me a great deal more.

Still though -- The Bristol makes Kemptown a great place (the trendies haven't discovered it yet and it's often full of nurses!)

I can't afford to live in Brighton anyway, so I moved out of it a bit.

To, er, Carlisle.

Beach Hut said:
Seriously I'd avoid Central Brighton and Kemptown
Best address I've ever had in Brighton was 53 Old Steine - top floor flat, next door to Marlborough House. Absolute magic.

Burlington Street, Kemptown, was a good 'un too - over the road from Max Miller's old house, round the corner from Laurence Olivier.

Doubt if I could afford such surroundings these days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What I was trying to say was it might not suit his lady friends lifestyle.

I lived in the centre of Brighton when younger and it was fine - might not suit older needs.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mrs Gwylan and I are looking at houses as well, staggered at the prices in town these days. We're thinking about Newhaven/Seaford as well, so we're interested to read the comments. It least that side of town will be handy for Falmer :)

We also had a look at Portslade, which looked all right for our needs.

One thing I'm certain of, I'm not moving back to Moulsecoomb: I did 18 years there, I think that's enough.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
we're not that old!!

Part of the reason we're moving away from manchester is that having lived in a coronation street replica for the last 2 years we've decided that it be good to live somewhere hotter, drier, and a bit more vibrant and closer to the mighty seagulls...

I work away monday-friday so it needs to be somewhere relatively safe - I'm guessing the 'predominantly gay areas' ie kemptown are relatively safe??

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
tommy boy 86 said:
WESTDENE!!!

suburbia at its finest

Can't fault your logic ( although, now I've moved, I should also say Patcham's nice ).

Well over priced though ( Westdene that is ) !!!!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
king Wombat said:
we're not that old!!

Part of the reason we're moving away from manchester is that having lived in a coronation street replica for the last 2 years we've decided that it be good to live somewhere hotter, drier, and a bit more vibrant and closer to the mighty seagulls...

I work away monday-friday so it needs to be somewhere relatively safe - I'm guessing the 'predominantly gay areas' ie kemptown are relatively safe??

Yes, but just watch the back door!

:lolol:

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
mr wombat, you'll regret it for sure if you listen to the advice from this thread which seems to answer the question which is the best bit of brighton & hove to move to is newhaven or saltdean!

with your budget get yourself a flat in town. ignore the homophobic crap about kemptown, it's a nice area. others i'd recommend are seven dials, five ways or moving into hove brunswick area.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
shoreham is very up and coming and once the waterside developement has finished will be quite trendy with 2 new bars and restaurants opening

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
This very handy to know, does this mean it will spill through to "Lancing?"

:lolol:

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
My sister lives in Kemptown and whenever I visit her I always think it would be a great place to live.

Also, whenever we've been to the Bristol, there has never been anyone on the pool table, so we've had it to ourselves all evening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here