Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where is the money coming from for all these signings?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The club loses money simply by existing, so the money to pay for Forster has been borrowed from somewhere - more directors' loans possibly. All the money Dougal mentions is long spent.

I think I've argued with most of you on this thread at sometime or another about prudence over speculation, i.e. the long-term survival of the club being more important than short-term success on the field, and thus (even more) money shouldn't be borrowed to speculate on potential Kitsons or Dodds. However as we ARE losing money just by existing, and as CJD points out even our hard-core support is getting less I have to say the signings of Whing and Forster are absolutely brilliant. Looking at the posts on NSC recently their arrival has galvanised a bit of enthusiasm into the even some of the most pessemistic souls, and consequently I think it's well worth the extra stretch on the borrowing. A decent cup run, a sniff of the play-offs and the extra outlay will be covered and the decline in support halted. Plus football IS all about excitement not balance sheets (although they ARE important) and after all the shit and setbacks we've had over the last few years the feel-good factor alone is probably worth the outlay.

1066gull

Lynch aint worth 500k i dont think

hardly set last season alight

maybe he will this season, but he has to keep guy out, and probably have hinsh alongside him or we may struggle without our old head

1066gull

The club loses money simply by existing, so the money to pay for Forster has been borrowed from somewhere - more directors' loans possibly. All the money Dougal mentions is long spent.

I think I've argued with most of you on this thread at sometime or another about prudence over speculation, i.e. the long-term survival of the club being more important than short-term success on the field, and thus (even more) money shouldn't be borrowed to speculate on potential Kitsons or Dodds. However as we ARE losing money just by existing, and as CJD points out even our hard-core support is getting less I have to say the signings of Whing and Forster are absolutely brilliant. Looking at the posts on NSC recently their arrival has galvanised a bit of enthusiasm into the even some of the most pessemistic souls, and consequently I think it's well worth the extra stretch on the borrowing. A decent cup run, a sniff of the play-offs and the extra outlay will be covered and the decline in support halted. Plus football IS all about excitement not balance sheets (although they ARE important) and after all the shit and setbacks we've had over the last few years the feel-good factor alone is probably worth the outlay.
to put it simple, the money will easily be recouped from bringing in bums on seats

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds to me that the board have a had a rethink on the CKR windfall and decided (wisely) to invest a small part of that on the playing side...

I reckon that maybe the case or it might have been that they always intended to use it but pleaded poverty to stop any inflated prices or wage demands. DK saying NONE of the money would be available was like a red rag to a bull to the fans so maybe it was only said as a way of stopping Hull sticking out for more and in the end it was worth pissing the fans off for a short time??

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
On the subject of money has there been any news on our compensation claim against West Ham?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lynch aint worth 500k i dont think

hardly set last season alight

Wrong. Arguably better than Harding (although difficult to compare due to different positions).

The tribunal set £825k for Harding (including various clauses). I would imagine that now Lynch is tied up for another 2 years (?) we would be looking at £800k plus. Of course, it does depend how many are/would be after him.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I imagine there is money in kitty bearing in mind that last year we really spent f*** all on players (apart from wages)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
£75,000 is approximately 3,000 home tickets. It is, in my opinion, more than likely that we'll sell at least this amount because of signing Nicky Forster alone. You only need to boost home attendances by 130 people per match to cover this cost, and I think the new interest created by having a quality striker will do this.

The risk is in giving him a 3 year deal. It's worth taking IMHO.

Stumpy Tim

Sounds to me that the board have a had a rethink on the CKR windfall and decided (wisely) to invest a small part of that on the playing side...

I think you're wrong. Knight said that Wilkins had a good budget for the division & didn't include the new CKR money. I am assuming that good budget included the 100,000 that was used to bid for Forster back in January. Hence, Wilkins still has 25,000 left to play with (plus wages etc)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
£75,000 is approximately 3,000 home tickets. It is, in my opinion, more than likely that we'll sell at least this amount because of signing Nicky Forster alone. You only need to boost home attendances by 130 people per match to cover this cost, and I think the new interest created by having a quality striker will do this.

The risk is in giving him a 3 year deal. It's worth taking IMHO.

Plus, for the sake of this argument, another £75,000 a year for his salary. That's another 130 per game above your original extra 130. That's 260 per game, which ought to be achievable. Anything above that purely on the back of his intended goal-scoring record and all-round play is a bonus. And that doesn't include merchandising spin-offs on the back of this acquisitiuon.

Sounds bit of business, I'd say.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THE FIGURES BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW. It's purely a figure set as an example.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think you're wrong. Knight said that Wilkins had a good budget for the division & didn't include the new CKR money. I am assuming that good budget included the 100,000 that was used to bid for Forster back in January. Hence, Wilkins still has 25,000 left to play with (plus wages etc)

Wilkins is after another two or three players.

We bid £100,000 for Forster, but we also bid £165,000 for Byfield (possibly in the hope of getting one or the other, rather than both). So if that kind of money is still available, there ought to be some room for manoeuvre.

And, as has been shown, Wilkins can smooth-talk players into coming here. The next few weeks could be interesting.

Where is Uncle Spielberg BTW?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Plus, for the sake of this argument, another £75,000 a year for his salary. That's another 130 per game above your original extra 130. That's 260 per game, which ought to be achievable. Anything above that purely on the back of his intended goal-scoring record and all-round play is a bonus. And that doesn't include merchandising spin-offs on the back of this acquisitiuon.

Sounds bit of business, I'd say.

DON'T QUOTE ME ON THE FIGURES BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW. It's purely a figure set as an example.

I find it hard to disagree with that or what Stumpy Tim said.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Considering we bid 60k for Whing and 100k for Forster in January you have to say this is great business so far - and this would suggest we might still have more transfer funds available.

I think we are not far off being genuine contenders for promotion and a signing like Currie would really signal some intent.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Wilkins is after another two or three players.

We bid £100,000 for Forster, but we also bid £165,000 for Byfield (possibly in the hope of getting one or the other, rather than both). So if that kind of money is still available, there ought to be some room for manoeuvre.

And, as has been shown, Wilkins can smooth-talk players into coming here. The next few weeks could be interesting.

Where is Uncle Spielberg BTW?

It does seem he has something that Mcghee didnt when attracting players, Luck?

Forster became available at the right time for Wilkins and not Mcghee, as did Whing- however he still has to sell the club - I guess it helps if you have been somewhere a long time as it shows you believe in it yourself.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It does seem he has something that Mcghee didnt when attracting players, Luck?

Forster became available at the right time for Wilkins and not Mcghee, as did Whing- however he still has to sell the club - I guess it helps if you have been somewhere a long time as it shows you believe in it yourself.

I didn't really mention it as a comparison between Wilkins and McGhee. It's more at those who have said that Wilkins has no contacts and won't be able to get anyone in.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head. I think the money has been available (most probably via the Blooms) but that for whatever reason - certain managers (well manager) - didn't spend it.

Since Wilkins became manager he has brought in a fairly extensive list of people on loan or contract - but we all recall a certain manager saying he couldn't get people in last summer and leading up to the August transfer deadline. Okay he missed out on Forster and (the very cheeky bid for) Constantine last Jan but he cant be blamed for Fortser wanting to wait until end of jan to see if a better option came up and then to get recalled to the first team at Hull.

So draw your own conclusions as to where this money has come from. I like to think that it has been available for the right player for sometime.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think someone earlier hit the nail on the head. I think the money has been available (most probably via the Blooms) but that for whatever reason - certain managers (well manager) - didn't spend it.

Since Wilkins became manager he has brought in a fairly extensive list of people on loan or contract - but we all recall a certain manager saying he couldn't get people in last summer and leading up to the August transfer deadline. Okay he missed out on Forster and (the very cheeky bid for) Constantine last Jan but he cant be blamed for Fortser wanting to wait until end of jan to see if a better option came up and then to get recalled to the first team at Hull.

So draw your own conclusions as to where this money has come from. I like to think that it has been available for the right player for sometime.

I just hope that we don't see Whing and Forster as the answer to all our prayers, because I still think we are lacking in other areas, particularly if Bertin doesn't stay (which is more and more likely).

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Some of the comments on here are quite negative for some reason, but the signings are merely from the budget laid down surely? The board have never said there is no budget have they? We sell high (or low with sell-on clauses) to keep the club going and fight the season-on-season operating loss, but always strategically target key signings within budget. One of the criticisms of McGhee for example was that he never managed to spend the budget he had at his disposal, his key signings never came off (always very close though apparently). I think we've just come up trumps on two of our budgeted targets is all. Putting this activity down as some sort of desperate s**t or bust board level gambling is misleading in my opinion. One thing I trust our board not to do is to de-stabilise the clubs long-term existence in that way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here