Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

where is steve gritt now?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
sams dad said:
Surely someone with your contacts should have known when Steve Gritt was appointed?

It's not about that at all. It's more the fact that if you were an Albion fan in those days you would just KNOW when Gritt came in.

You would KNOW that we went from September to mid-December without winning a home game.

You would KNOW that when Gritt came in we then won every single home game for the remainder of the season, with the single exception of that incredibly dramatic Orient game.

You would KNOW that Gritt turned around what was looking like an impossibly lost cause, and had the Albion playing some cracking football. Despite everything else that was happening then, I recall with great fondness the attacking flair we displayed under Gritt that season - with Storer and McDonald flying down the wings feeding the goal machines that were Baird and Maskell.

Where there may be an element of truth in what BG has said, is that despite our incredible home record, our away form was still piss-poor and we couldn't get a win. After every triumphant home game, came despondency away as the Albion were beaten again and as another game slipped by the gap to safety looked bigger once again.

However Steve Gritt is an absolute Albion legend. I hate to think what would have happened had we gone out of the football league that season.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
This has nothing to do with my likes or otherwise of DK it is just that northstandnorth is so petty minded and lacking in knowledge that he hs to keep bringing up about Beeding etc. To clear the air what I actually did was complain to the mods about one particular statement that northstandnorth posted on here about me which was untrue and offensive. I asked the mods to remove it otherwise I would seek legal advice. The remark was withdrawn by the mods so there was no further problem but northstandnorth seems to think that it is good to keep repeating himself like a parrot.

The point of my posting here today is that unlike many I do not class Steve Gritt as a legend because I do not think that he was a good manager and certainly not to be classed as a legend as season 97/98 was to show. He managed to keep us up following a run of mediocre results, which, if , as I said had been better would have saved the anguish of Hereford. 40% wins.

Your complete lack of understanding of what SG did for the Albion is quite frankly astounding. You have made the school boy error of looking purely at the statistics and not taking into account the context in which these statistics occurred. Under his leadership he clawed back 12 points, which in any normal situation would have been classed as outstanding but to do it in the environment that he did is nothing short of exceptional. To say anything otherwise is quite frankly absurd.
The next time you start to quote stats remember the following Context .... Context ... CONTEXT, because you most certainly have not in this case.

and breath ....

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
BensGrandad said:
Why?

It was partly because of him being useless that lead us to the match at Hereford. Had he done his job properly and been good at it we would never have been in that situation. Yes I know he was under all the problems of those 3 but ultimately he was responsible for how the team performed on the day. This he is a legend bit alludes me, he was in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case as a manager.

joke right?

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Attention mods...............................

please ban BG for spouting UTTER BOLLOCKS

:shootself

Sep 12, 2006
BensGrandad said:
I remember only too well the happenings and goings on of 1967/68 but as I said he was responsible for the manner in which the players played and because he was useless, which DK quickly realised, when he took over, we were left with the Hereford scenario.

I am not talking about the goings on with Archer Bellotti and Stanley but his ability as a manager and for that I would put him in the same class as Jeff Wood and Jimmy Case.

I have certainly not forgotten or gone mental justan honest opinion, like we are all entitled to. So why should we want him here as a coach now?

the happenings of 67/68??? we're talking about gritt right? Steve gritt's exceptional home record has been highlighted already and frankly you are entitled to your argument, just as you are entitled to be completely wrong. However, I do agree that gritty is in the past (despite being a complete legend) and I don't think we need him as a coach. I think we have a great balance right now and we should be looking to the future. One more thing, to grade gritt alongside case and wood is laughable. They were incompetent, whereas gritt did the impssible in impossible circumstances. Without him we would be in the conference. fact. this means he is a albion legend, and it is clear he's a decent bloke as well. i watched the hereford game recently and saw a post match interview with gritt standing infront of the albion fans chanting his name. he was clearly emotional with a lump in throat explaining what the fan's support meant to him. LEGEND. FACT.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
bristolseagull said:
Attention mods...............................

please ban BG for spouting UTTER BOLLOCKS

:shootself

Is one not allowed an opinion and as I have said in my opinion he does not rate as a legend alongside the many players and managers that I named who I consider did more over a longer period of time than he did. As I have said just my opinion.

Sep 12, 2006
so a man who saved a club from going out of the league is not a legend? :lolol: you're funny you are.

i do agree that you should be entitled to your wacky opinion. it takes all people....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SG is the man who saved us going out of the league. I am continually told it was Dick Knight and I am sure that the players had something to do with it.

Irrespective of how good or bad a manager is the ultimate answer rests with the players.

Fans are very fickle how many where calling for Barry Lloyds head months after taking us to Wembley and 1 match from the first division.

I believe that the term legend is branded about too freely and if we get anywhere near the play offs this season would everybody be classing Dean Wilkins as a legend having rescued a team that appearred to be in freefall and added to that his time spent here as a player.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Yes of course one is allowed an opinion, thats the nature of a democracy

my opinion- as with ALL others on this board is that you are TALKING SHIT.

Gritt took over a demoralised team and turned us into world beaters (almost) the man deserves a medal for helping save this club.

Theer was almost an expectation of winning home games when he took over- utter LEGEND.

Should have the keys to the City.:clap2:

Sep 12, 2006
listen carefully dear fellow. without gritt being in charge we would not have won all our home games bar one, and would have gone out of the league. no other manger even wanted the job. gritt was booed on his first game but he turned things round. of course the players had something to do with it, but did you see the morale and how they were playing that season before he arrived? it was just plain awful, and his appointment directly changed that. if it was all down to the players there would be no need for mangers at all....and yes DK had something to do with saving the club but that alongside what you mentioned about barry lloyd has nothing to do with the argument in question.

Sep 12, 2006
bristolseagull said:
Yes of course one is allowed an opinion, thats the nature of a democracy

my opinion- as with ALL others on this board is that you are TALKING SHIT.

Gritt took over a demoralised team and turned us into world beaters (almost) the man deserves a medal for helping save this club.

Theer was almost an expectation of winning home games when he took over- utter LEGEND.

Should have the keys to the City.:clap2:

agreed! steve gritt is absolute class :clap2: there should be a bus with his name on it, but we'd have to kill him first. shame.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
SG is the man who saved us going out of the league. I am continually told it was Dick Knight and I am sure that the players had something to do with it.

I believe that my American friends would class this a cheap shot, and a very very cheap one at that. I wondered how long before a DK dig would materialise.

Yes the players do have something to do with it, and every comment I've heard from players at the Albion at that time was that SG pulled it around, he gave them belief. If it was just down to the players you wouldn't need a manager would you? Obviously your understanding of man management is on par with your application of statistics ......

I would agree on your assertion that the title legend is used all to freely but in this case it is not, he was the right man at the right time. A legend

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The opinion of Bensgrandad is simply false and inaccurate

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Ben's Grandad, sometimes I think you are just as much an attention seeker as 1066.

Let me guess, if you had taken over the club like you wanted to, you would have got Alex Ferguson in charge and we would have won the Champions League by now?
:yawn:

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Bozza said:
It's not about that at all. It's more the fact that if you were an Albion fan in those days you would just KNOW when Gritt came in.

You would KNOW that when Gritt came in we then won every single home game for the remainder of the season, with the single exception of that incredibly dramatic Orient game.

However Steve Gritt is an absolute Albion legend. I hate to think what would have happened had we gone out of the football league that season.

What about the draw on Boxing Day ?

Steve Gritt was a legend and I believe the first Albion manager to be abused before even the first game he had in charge (Grit belives Bellotti bulshit) and also the first Albion manager to be shafted by Dick Tight who got rid of half the squad behind his back the following season.

Sep 12, 2006
Ernest said:
What about the draw on Boxing Day ?

Steve Gritt was a legend and I believe the first Albion manager to be abused before even the first game he had in charge (Grit belives Bellotti bulshit) and also the first Albion manager to be shafted by Dick Tight who got rid of half the squad behind his back the following season.

ernest, for the first time ever i agree with you :p

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Deportivo Seagull said:
I believe that my American friends would class this a cheap shot, and a very very cheap one at that. I wondered how long before a DK dig would materialise.

This was not intended as shot at DK. On one thread you will find people saying how DK saved the club on this thread it is SG who saved the club.

The club was saved by the concerted efforts of many people, DK did his bit, SG did his bit, the players did their bit and not least of all many supporters myself included did what they could with protests and letters etc. No one persion saved the club and is therefore, in my opinion, elligible for 'legend status'. If one person should be, then it would be DK who is still fighting for us whether you agree with his methods, his motives or whatever he is still in the forefront of everything BHA. I would not begrudge him being classed as a legend.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BensGrandad said:
This was not intended as shot at DK. On one thread you will find people saying how DK saved the club on this thread it is SG who saved the club.

The club was saved by the concerted efforts of many people, DK did his bit, SG did his bit, the players did their bit and not least of all many supporters myself included did what they could with protests and letters etc. No one persion saved the club and is therefore, in my opinion, elligible for 'legend status'. If one person should be, then it would be DK who is still fighting for us whether you agree with his methods, his motives or whatever he is still in the forefront of everything BHA. I would not begrudge him being classed as a legend.

well said ... but you're still wrong about SG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here