Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Where is Moises going? (Chelsea - 14/08/2023)

Where is Moises going?

• Total voters

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I wonder if Bloom has considered making Moises and his agents an ex-gratia payment to calm them down for a while.

TB wont have as that’s not allowed and would get the club in trouble. All payments, bonuses, loyalty payments (or anything that could be considered an incentive) have to be defined in the contract. The only way it’s possible is if we paid them it as a bonus, for signing a new contract.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
TB wont have as that’s not allowed and would get the club in trouble. All payments, bonuses, loyalty payments (or anything that could be considered an incentive) have to be defined in the contract. The only way it’s possible is if we paid them it as a bonus, for signing a new contract.
That would be easy enough to sort out. Every contract could have a standard clause setting out salary with the caveat that additional payments could be made in the form of bonuses, incentives etc as seen fit by the club, and depending on circumstances at the time. Clubs pay win bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, goals bonuses, appearances, loyalty bonuses, all sorts of stuff. There’s no reason why everything has to be detailed in advance. I’m not suggesting anything illegal. Moises would still be legally obliged to declare everything for tax purposes, and I’m sure he’d have an accountant and lawyer to deal with all that, or maybe the agents take care of it. Point is, it could be a way of kicking the can down the road to next transfer window or next summer, or until such time as Chelsea or some other club pay the club’s valuation for release.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
That would be easy enough to sort out. Every contract could have a standard clause setting out salary with the caveat that additional payments could be made in the form of bonuses, incentives etc as seen fit by the club, and depending on circumstances at the time. Clubs pay win bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, goals bonuses, appearances, loyalty bonuses, all sorts of stuff. There’s no reason why everything has to be detailed in advance. I’m not suggesting anything illegal. Moises would still be legally obliged to declare everything for tax purposes, and I’m sure he’d have an accountant and lawyer to deal with all that, or maybe the agents take care of it. Point is, it could be a way of kicking the can down the road to next transfer window or next summer, or until such time as Chelsea or some other club pay the club’s valuation for release.

The problem is at the moment every payment, bonus or incentive/loyalty bonus has to be declared in a players contract in detail. A simple caveat will not cover things. The Premier League, would be on us. This is a universal rule across football no matter what league or country a player appears in.

From the FA website

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/files...nce with FA Rules,bonuses and signing on fees.

“In accordance with FA Rules all salaried amounts due to a contract player must be recorded in the player's contract gross (before tax) and be subject to PAYE and NI. This includes weekly wages, performance bonuses (win, points, goals scored, share of prize money etc), loyalty bonuses and signing on fees.”

A few seasons Accrington Stanley were investigated as the owner would buy the players McDonald’s if they won. This wasn’t declared as a win bonus in the players contract so he was asked to explain his actions.

If they get their knickers in a twist over players getting a Big Mac when it’s not in their contracts you can guarantee they’d be pretty pissed off if we decided to pay a player a massive one off loyalty bonus that wasn’t in written into their contract.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's pretty obvious that Chelsea are NOT going to get their man for a price they deem acceptable.

Fork up £100m, or Fork off. Chelsea wankers.

Should have given us Colwill.
If Chelsea want Caicedo that desperately, then Colwill as part of the deal isn’t necessarily off the table, is it?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
If Chelsea want Caicedo that desperately, then Colwill as part of the deal isn’t necessarily off the table, is it?
Oh don’t start this up again!

The Colwill deal is gone, he’s signed a long new contract on big wages that we can’t compete with. Pochettino must have convinced him he’d get enough game time.

Unfortunately he’s made his decision, the horse has bolted.

Now the Caicedo deal is really quite straightforward - pay the money, get the player.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The Times fascinating obsession with Moises continues in today's edition. However this is an interesting article, no continuous mentions of the 'transfer saga' but a full in depth look at his development and his roots. Well worth a read. It's probably behind a paywall but you all know how to beat that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Naylor has said the Rice fee is seen as the benchmark so guess he fits with the know nothings too
Yes, Naylor was the source of that comment. However benchmarking Caicedo on Rice does not mean replicating. I think Caicedo is already the better player and clearly has loads more potential as well which puts his value on a spread basis at 105m +. It is valuing the plus on which agreement would have to be reached. Rice carries an England premium which is all very well but won’t (on its own) win you anything. Caicedo does not score many goals but IMO is worth more. It may be possible to get a compromise from Tony with a similar bid. Who knows. Chelsea’s move.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yes, Naylor was the source of that comment. However benchmarking Caicedo on Rice does not mean replicating. I think Caicedo is already the better player and clearly has loads more potential as well. Rice carries an England premium which is all very well but won’t (on its own)win you anything. IMO Caicedo is worth more but it may be possible to get a compromise from Tony with a similar bid. Who knows. Chelsea’s move.
fair point I personally think based on age and ability Caicedo could command a premium himself

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
The Times fascinating obsession with Moises continues in today's edition. However this is an interesting article, no continuous mentions of the 'transfer saga' but a full in depth look at his development and his roots. Well worth a read. It's probably behind a paywall but you all know how to beat that.

Great article and I have to get an Adult size MOI shirt!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Except, TB/PB won’t feel any pressure, so that part of any ploy is 100% pointless.

They set a valuation months back and just get on with the club’s plans and life until it’s met. The bank balance is fine.

The only pressure is on a handful of Albion fans who have given up their summer to be wound up by The Chavs.
I agree. I'm not talking about the pressure on the club. I'm talking about the pressure it builds on the player/agents who have already started spending the new wages/commission in their mind having been sold the dream weeks prior. If the buying club can keep the message to the agents/player of "Look, we are continually raising our bids but your club are not giving us anything", even if that is TOTAL BOLLOCKS, it often works to build that pressure on the player/agents to eventually crack and down tools, make silly demands, throw in transfer requests etc etc etc.

Like you say, the club may well completely ignore all that and that's great, but it does no harm to the buying club to use the player/agents as pawns and get them to try and make it happen from the inside. Clearly Caicedo/agents broke under the pressure in january with that silly statement but we didn't. Trossard did similar. If the player's not turning up for training or silly statements start getting released again then Chelsea will be delighted. I imagine (as you mentioned) we won't care as we've shown to not buckle but I think anyone would agree, no matter the clubs stance, it would be preferable for it not to happen.

From the manager's point of view, he will just want to know his squad from the earliest possible opportunity for planning.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Got a feeling he will still be here. Don’t think Chelsea will get to the triple figure of millions and not a chance we budge (no matter tactics of player / agents / Chelsea).

The equation hasn’t changed since day dot, no matter the rest of the noise (which only exists for clicks anyway)

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not expecting Moises to be playing in a Brighton shirt again personally. Hope I'm wrong and he still gives his all until this saga is bought to a close.
If that's the case at least Tony will have a fee he is happy with and rumoured to be over £100 million.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Naylor has said the Rice fee is seen as the benchmark so guess he fits with the know nothings too
He absolutely does fit. Rice! What about £107m Fernandez? Bloom, Barber & Weir know the valuation and it’s a moving feast. Every action that we’ve made screams we do not want to sell but that an astronomical, world record offer will be considered because, as the exec team always state, Brighton will sell players if it’s right for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here