Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where do you think we'll finish next season?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Currently there are only 7 or 8 sides who are better than us, so after a few summer improvements I'd expect a play-off place

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Anyone who seriously thinks we'll finish in the top 6 is in cloud cuckoo land- unless we spend a huge amount over the summer. I reckon with this squad we'd finish 16th?

Look at Millwall for example. They didn't exactly stand out last season in League One, and they are 7th in the Championship at the moment, about 4 points off the play offs! We are far better than they were at this level, with more potential and more money, so why can't the same, if not better, happen to us?

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
I think Gus will want to aim for automatic promotioon to the prem, but knows that he needs half a squad to make a serious challenge, hence the "7 players".
I think Tony wants Prem football sooner rather than later, but will not make the mistake other clubs have in over-reaching with the finance.
Long term, it's clear that the club want to generate a significant number of playing staff through the training academy, but that won't bear fruit for a number of years. However, to recruit the right talent to the academy, we need to show more than mid table championship aspirations, so there will be investment in players who can not only hold their own in the championship, but could also do a job in the premiership.

I think the current squad is good enough to push for the playoffs, but if we made it to the prem, would have to have a wholesale restructure to avoid being embarrased.

So I think Gus will get his 7 players, in exchange for a top 6 target.

It was an excelent point about the quality of the prem teams coming down this year. However, they are coming down for a reason... They are not good enough. If Gus can wave his magic wand and get 7 unknown-but-premiership-quality players on board, then I see no reason why we cant overachieve again, and hit the top 2 places.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
i look at leciester i look at millwall i look at norwich i look at leeds.

if we can continue our momentum and have a good start. Playoffs are very very likely

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
4th. Which will ultimately be a disappointment. No way gus would settle for survival. No way bloom would spend 15 mil on a training centre and settle for survival. No way bennett would be pleased at staying here if we were just settling for survival. Its going to be ace

Last edited:

simply the best

Feb 23, 2011
im going for it . were going to get promoted

hello people in a years time when this thread gets bounced

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Before the start of this season, way back in June / July I stated Automatic Promotion (along with a few others) and many doubted this, next season I'm going to say 5th. (Assuming we do spend a few bob, don't have a first season new stadium jinx and Gus stays)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I think we will start really well and be in the Play off positions, then Gus will in Nov/Dec and we will end up finishing right around mid-table.

It's really hard to predict based on not knowing our squad and not knowing if Gus will be here. My prediction is based purely on the fact that I think we will carry on doing really well with Gus, but I can't see us keeping him when we do.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
3 of the current top 7 in the championship were in league 1 last year so if Gus makes the right changes to the squad in the summer which im sure he will i think we can challenge for a play off spot. As mentioned we will now be on a level playing field with the other championship teams.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Anyone who seriously thinks we'll finish in the top 6 is in cloud cuckoo land- unless we spend a huge amount over the summer. I reckon with this squad we'd finish 16th?
O really:shrug:
Im going for top 6 as i think we will have the set up and backing,lets not forget the championship is getting weaker as loads of championship clubs have financial problems.:p

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here