Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wher did you,sit or stand. The Goldstone

Apr 6, 2005
Only the North Stand lent itself to mentalism. I remember us being 1-0 down to Sunderland with 90 mins on the clock (circa 1978?). Rough 70s atmosphere. Coins being thrown between the North Stand and the visitors' section. Hatred building all through the match. On comes Eric Potts as our substitute... cuts inside from the left of their penalty area and slots it home. Result? Mentalism... Hands, bodies, feet everywhere. People screaming into the faces of strangers....kids climbing on to the terrace barriers to flick the Vs to the Sunderland fans....coppers streaming down the gangway between the rival fans...glorious mayhem. Then, with 93 mins on the clock, Eric Potts cuts inside from the left of the penalty area again and slots it home. Identical goal. 2-1. Result? Lung bursting, eye bulging mentalism. And when it had settled down, I could see people who'd left at 1-0 down running back down Newtown Road to the South East exit to see what was going on. Too late for them - they should have been in the North Stand. That's where I always went. Of course.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Never sat, stood just about everywhere, a lot in the North Stand but probably the most in the North West, right by the tunnel at the back next to the cage

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only ever went in the North Stand bar that phase of going in the East Terrace for around 6 months.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Used to stand next to the tunnel when very young, sometimes on a stool behind the managers dug out.

Then Northstand...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The only time I went in the South Stand was after we won promotion to the old Division One.

They opened the ground up to congratulate the players.

The pitch had been dig up, I seem to recall.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
First games Chicken Run (east)
Most subsequent games North
Some cup games West
First five minutes of Doncaster game South (don't ask)
Last ever game (remaining 85 mins) East

So I came full circle. And I know for a FACT that Falmer won't be as good.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Never understood the logic of the biscuit game. Why punish someone for their staying power?

PS I don't believe anyone has ever played that game. At least those of us who aren't on crack cocaine.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I'm pretty sure I've stood/ sat everywhere at The Goldstone. But my most precious moments were in the North Stand.

Most easterly gate, up the steps, seven steps down, turn right. BLISS.

Jeez, I miss it.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
First off, as a kid, North Stand; always with my dad - second barrier up, the goal slightly to our left. Occasionally, East terrace, or SouthWest terracing. In later years, when the old fella wasn't so well, we sat in the South Stand...

But has no-one mentioned the LEGO STAND? For one game only, we blagged two tickets, took the complimentary seasick pills and up we went! A kind of Blue Peter tribute experience!!

Last edited:

Started out in the East as a child of 4 or 5, crawling under the corrugated fence behind the hot-dog stall.

Later, when about 12 I went in the South Stand seats left of behind the goal

I then began going regularly when Fred Binney was playing up-front, and stood at the right behind the South goal, before moving to the North, at right side behind goal - halfway up the terrace.

SEEEAGUUUULLS!!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
90% of the time in the north....almost next to the NE corner but i did have a spell of going in the NW terrace in front of the players car park.

The 1970's in the north stand was superb

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Everywhere but the Lego Stand. Even stood on the shed roof in the North West corner once.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Started off on the East Terrace right by the half way line with my Dad.
Sat in the south stand.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
All stands over the years.. but 99% were spent at the first barrier back of the North Stand to the right, just behind the goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here