Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When your team are SO gash that you're beyond caring

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Its got the be England last year for me, I actually now know and understand what it's like to be Scottish, that's how much hate they have filled me with for their complete and utter shitness in South Africa. Arses!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Its got the be England last year for me, I actually now know and understand what it's like to be Scottish, that's how much hate they have filled me with for their complete and utter shitness in South Africa. Arses!

Interesting point, because I don't think the Scots actually hate their team, they embrace their mediocrity because it's easy for them to resort to "Oh well, we're only a wee small nation wi' a monkey tennis league, so we don't EXPECT to win anyway"

They might sometimes wish they were a bit better (thought they'd never admit it), but their qualifying for a major tournament is now such a distant memory for them, the Tartan Army seem to have settled for annual plucky-but-losing performances against Europe's mid-ranking to top sides.

<retreats to safe distance>

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting point, because I don't think the Scots actually hate their team, they embrace their mediocrity because it's easy for them to resort to "Oh well, we're only a wee small nation wi' a monkey tennis league, so we don't EXPECT to win anyway"

They might sometimes wish they were a bit better (thought they'd never admit it), but their qualifying for a major tournament is now such a distant memory for them, the Tartan Army seem to have settled for annual plucky-but-losing performances against Europe's mid-ranking to top sides.

I honestly wish I was a Scotland supporter these days to be honest. The English national team seems to be in a state of perpetual embarassment, whether it's caused by hooligan goonery, the overrated wankers playing or possibly the shittest, ineffective FA in the Western world.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I honestly wish I was a Scotland supporter these days to be honest. The English national team seems to be in a state of perpetual embarassment, whether it's caused by hooligan goonery, the overrated wankers playing or possibly the shittest, ineffective FA in the Western world.

So there's an interesting dilemma.

Whether it's better to be an England supporter, with the (fairly) regular chance of going to major tournaments and playing- albeit losing to- Brazil, Argentina and so on. Luckily for me I never expect the team to actually do anything, unlike the army of Sun readers for whom our every Euro or World Cup failure must be such a crushing disappointment. We're supposed to have a reasonable chance every time we qualify, and at least there's the chance to watch some great football on the rare occasions our dismal, unlikeable band of overpaid idiots can be bothered.

Or whether it would be altogether easier to just be Scottish, and never have to worry about booking flights to Brazil, or Qatar, or Russia. You only ever have to face Argentina in a friendly in a nice neutral central European venue, when their best players are knackered or out with mysterious "injuries". The only disappointment that ever happens is during the biennial qualifiers for major tournaments, when thanks to a feisty away draw with a side like Slovakia early on, faint (if futile) hopes of reaching the main event are raised, only to be flattened imminently by a shocking stalemate in the Faroe Islands and a plucky-but-pointless home defeat to Italy or France. Yes, they have the Famous Tartan Army :rolleyes:(Scottish men dressing stupidly, pissing in the street and getting massively drunk= loveable Tartan Army! English men doing the same= thugs)...but what's the point of an army if you never get to invade anywhere?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Definitely England in the last World Cup, most of the players looked like they would rather have been on their holidays, they were complete and utter gash and an embarassment to the country. I had been hoping that most of them would never ever represent the country again, sadly quite a few of them still do. If the best centre forward we can put on the pitch is Bent, then there is little chance of us winning anything for some time.

I once had a boss who was very direct in his approach to management. He said that if something or someone fails then deal with the issue, learn from it and don't repeat, unfortunately the England set up seem completely oblivious to that sentiment. The last time England had a team that inspired me or made me proud was in 1990, since then it has been largely forgettable.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Germany in the 2010 World Cup. People still say "Ah but if Lampard's goal had been allowed ...." If Lampard's goal HAD been allowed the Germans would simply have switched up a gear. A flukey equaliser against the run of play wouldn't have altered the final result or done anything to disguise the massive gap in class. Towards the end I was just laughing at how shit we were. Pure car crash television.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Poison dwarf 2nd time around - it was totally and utterly appalling especially the inert post match press conferences with long bouts of silence and inability to even admit he was totally clueless beyond belief.

To this day that may have cost us two years however the ray of hope is Gus so you could argue would that have happened if Wilkins had stayed on.

I might add the Taylor years of England management where some of the poorest players ever were picked.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Out of interest, who are these clowns who continue to turn up dutifully at overpriced Wembley to watch the utter dross served up by England? I don't watch the games even when they're on free telly these days.

:wave:

purely in order to get the caps in order to get tickets for away games - which are much more fun. there is none of the "england are the best" sun readers who become irate when switzerland deservedley go into half time in the lead. most people who travel abroad seem to accept the fact the team is shit, and in that way its a lot like following the albion away was a few seasons ago with the added bonus of going to different countries

sammy g

I echo the England stance adopted by many on here. Having watched every major tournament since Spain 82 and going out out to France 98 I looked forward to the tournament summers almost as much as an approaching season, but during the Erikkson years and the Wags of 2006 I started to realise our players were a long way short compared to the better teams and the attitude that seemed to pervade throughout the team was an arrogance based around the ridiculous "Golden Generation" tag. What begun in 06 was completed in 2010 with dreadful performances and a team ethic based on Rooney's first law- you need to adore us unconditionally or we will have a rant and moan and stop playing, which of course they did. Havn't watched a full England game since South Africa and have no intention anytime soon.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
5-0 to the nigels

And the pikey police locked the doors so I could not leave.

Worse Albion experience by far.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex in the 70s were diabolical. We finished in the bottom three of the CC in three out of the four years between 1972 and 1975 - and only failed to finish bottom because there were some other poor sides (Glamorgan particularly). I used to go every game and watch struggle to reach 200 with regularity and then try to bowl the opposition out with the fearsome pace attack of Spud Spencer, John Denman, Paul Phillipson and Roger Marshall

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton

I meant I understand how it must feel to be Scottish and hate the England team!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here