Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When your team are SO gash that you're beyond caring

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Canvey Island away in the FA Cup - when the football was crap and it was only just dawning that off the field was worse

Losing to Sudbury Town on penalties - isn't this the night our manager (Case) passed out in the dugout? - My mates just did not understand why I followed the Albion. At least the fight to save the club kept many of us going. The football was generally terrible.

In recent years, losing at home to 9-man Walsall made me seriously question what joy I got out of going to Withdean and watching what was a shambolic Albion side

edit:

And how can I forget Brentford tonking us 4-0 at theirs (around 02/03?) - the only time I've left a ground with anything more than a few minutes to go. I just remember thinking I had better things to be doing on a Thursday night (think it was on the ITV Sports channel). Think I actually left Griffin Park that night at about 75m, and walked to a friends in Richmond!!!

England 1-4 Germany - outclassed in all areas.

Last edited:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Bristol away in the Lloyd / Archer / Bellotti era, we got stuffed 4-0 (if memory is right) players just walked off with no acknowledgment for the away support, did think to myself then "if they can't be arsed why should I"

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
To be honest it fairly happens with the Albion

however England are a completely different story , after losing in the 2006 world cup and being completely and utterly GUTTED about it I sort've washed my hands of them there and then.

Barely watched the World Cup (due to exams and what have you) and not caught many qualifiers yet

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There was a point under Adams (i really cant remember the opponents) where it was a week night game, it was PISSING it down and I was watching a bunch of loanees failing before my eyes.

I remember just closing my eyes and dropping my head for about 5 mins with the rain smacking onto the back of my neck.

It sounds very meaningless, but to me that was the lowest of the low.

Whereas by the end of England's demise against Germany in the world cup I was just LAUGHING in the pub. It was a mixture of ale/anger/embarrassment/admiration for football being played correctly by the Germans.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

however England are a completely different story , after losing in the 2006 world cup and being completely and utterly GUTTED about it I sort've washed my hands of them there and then.

Barely watched the World Cup (due to exams and what have you) and not caught many qualifiers yet

Same here. Nothing to do with exams tho. When Harry takes over I'm sure I'll have more of an interest.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Bizarrely, Adams' second spell was probably when I looked to go to more games than usual. Away games provided the kind of excruciating, tense atmosphere that makes us all follow BHAFC.

I was obviously deluded in that I thought a rotten unit of part-timers and pissheads would magically get better whenever I went. I was left disappointed almost every time but I don't think I can honestly say I reached the point at which I was been beyond caring. I think this is mainly due to the fact that I probably make about 10-15 games a season and am by no means as loyal as some of you good people. MK away was the all-time low: 8 points adrift with 8 games left, idiots calling dor C Davies' head, Whing the only player giving it anything.

The debacle of that season actually pervaded most of my experience of last season too. I found it impossible not to expect us to mess it up every week. Whilst we obviously went top very early on and remained there for the whole remainder of the season, every week I was expecting the bubble to burst. Funny how failure can become a force of habit.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm just so glad I was at Glastonbury whilst England got pasted at the last World Cup. They really were utter rubbish and thankfully I was able to enjoy an amazing festival instead of the complete shower of shit that England were dishing up.

It's funny how long ago it seems, when really it was only this time last year. I genuinely can't think of the next time I'll be interested in an England game

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Losing at home to nine man Walsall has to be up there, and the end of Slade's reign with Dickinson et al.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Whereas by the end of England's demise against Germany in the world cup I was just LAUGHING in the pub. It was a mixture of ale/anger/embarrassment/admiration for football being played correctly by the Germans.

Agree about the laughing - though for me the Algeria game was worse/funnier - the whole pub was cheering for Algeria by the end of that.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008

I had this last summer. There's been plenty of times when the Albion have been crap, but very few when we've been so hopeless that I've felt like going only because it's my DUTY. Last summer I felt so unbelievably let down by England that I stopped caring.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I'll echo the comments about England and the last World Cup.

I used to care, now I don't. There was nothing – nothing – there to feel was worthy of your support. I'm not some head-in-the-clouds muppet who thinks we have a divine right to do well, or that we will even ever win the thing again, but I at least want my team to try, and give it their best shot.

South Africa was so incredibly, woefully awful my loyalty to England just came to an end. That's it. **** off. You've lost me.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
After Sussex's first innings at the C&G final 2006, 172 AO, However the rest is history!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Out of interest, who are these clowns who continue to turn up dutifully at overpriced Wembley to watch the utter dross served up by England? I don't watch the games even when they're on free telly these days.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Out of interest, who are these clowns who continue to turn up dutifully at overpriced Wembley to watch the utter dross served up by England? I don't watch the games even when they're on free telly these days.

I wouldn't go to an England game these days if you gave me a ticket and a limo to and from the game, I am THAT disillusioned with them

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I agree with pretty much everything written here re England. South Africa was the 1st world cup I can remember where I genuinely didn't think we had a chance. All the concerns id spoken of to my deluded mates came to fruition.

The wrong squad selection, the wrong keeper selections, the midfield imbalance, the slow flat footed defence, the lack of creativity throughout, the absence of form up front THE MANAGER etc etc. Just hopeless and like I say I wasn't surprised. It was just embarrassing watching overpaid, arrogant w*nker England players try to make out they give a sh*t, when in reality most over the 50 cap mark probably see it as a burden and something they have to do rather than want to do. Dreadful. I now find watching England games almost funny we are so hopeless. Ive given up hope with them completely.

Thank god Tony B and Gus have made the Albion great again!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Pissfield years were soul destroying, but in an odd way, I never felt like not bothering, as there was something of a siege mentality amongst those in the home crowd, a sort of "well at least it can't get any worse" feeling, and a sense that things could only improve once we'd got back to Brighton. I recall getting absolutely battered against Darlington- I'm pretty sure it was Darlington as fatty Gabbiadini scored at least two, possibly a hat trick, but almost laughing about it.

Some of the Withdean years, by contrast, left me cold. There were periods in between successes where the new stadium seemed so, so far away still, and the players turned out like they didn't give a shit. Having a season ticket, there was little chance of me not bothering to turn up, but I can understand why those who bought tickets on a match by match basis couldn't be arsed.

I will just say on the subject of the 5-1 defeat at home to Stoke under McGhee: that performance didn't leave me flat, as another poster has suggested, rather it left me absolutely fuming at the sheer couldn't-give-a-shit attitude of the players that day. I know it was meaningless and the season was already over, but I was so utterly pissed off that they evidently weren't arsed enough. If we'd known they were going to be that bad, we could have made a conscious decision not to bother too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here