Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When your "favourite player" leaves ...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
My son is currently having to deal with the emotional distress of his first ever "favourite player" leaving his club, as Ricky Shakes has left Ebbsfleet Utd.

Bizarrely, I'm struggling to come up with an equivalent in my football following. Peter Ward was my first "favourite", but by the time he did leave, I was actually quite used to the inevitability of it happening at some point. I was sad to see him go, but I don't remember being all that gutted, probably because it was bound to happen.

Zamora - again, it was so inevitable by then.
Nelson - that upset me, but he'd been so marginalised by then, it was again quite inevitable.

What about you all, who is the departure you were most gutted by?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
My son still doesn't like Gus Poyet, as he got rid of Dean Cox, who was his favourite player at the time.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was pissed off when John Byrne went. He wasn't an especially amazing player, or even a personal favourite, but it just seemed to say so much about the state of the club at the time.

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Murray. I will never forgive Gus for letting the golden messiah leave. :whistle: :jester:

On a more serious note for me its probably between either Gary Stevens or Gary Nelson

Sorry but point of order here.... your son lives in the south east of England and supports a club other than Brighton? Please explain.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Zamora - ok it WAS inevitable , but watching his press conference with Spurs still really stung :(

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
At the time, was GUTTED when Kurt Nogan left...

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
When Dicker goes I will be gutted...but, I'm sure we'll have someone else flairtastic for me to make my new favourite...

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sorry but point of order here.... your son lives in the south east of England and supports a club other than Brighton? Please explain.

We live in Meopham, Kent, and that makes Ebbsfleet the nearest club to where we live. Irrespectve of size, history, financial strength, level of football, of facilities at the ground, he chose his local club, BECAUSE they are the most local club. I could hardly argue with his logic, and admire it, especially when all his mates at school support Tottenham, Chelsea, and Arsenal.

The deal is that if I go with him to Ebbsfleet, he comes with me to the Amex.

Last edited:

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
We live in Meopham, Kent, and that makes Ebbsfleet the nearest club to where we live. Irrespectve of size, history, financial strength, level of football, of facilities at the ground, he chose his local club, BECAUSE they are the most local club. I could hardly argue with his logic, and admire it, especially when all his mates at school support Tottenham, Chelsea, and Arsenal.

The deal is that if I go with him to Ebbsfleet, he comes with me to the Amex.

Well Done your son.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ricky Shakes? You've got to be making that up?!

Certainly not.

7367_ricky_shakes.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here