Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will Gus learn?

Mr Poyet always states that the League has priority over the FA Cup, and he fields weakened teams against non-league opposition. But this backfired twice last season against FCUM and Woking, because those first-teamers who had to play in the replays were risking injury/cards/fatigue which could compromise the League push. Now it has happened a third time, so I was wondering what it would take to make him see sense.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Mr Poyet always states that the League has priority over the FA Cup, and he fields weakened teams against non-league opposition. But this backfired twice last season against FCUM and Woking, because those first-teamers who had to play in the replays were risking injury/cards/fatigue which could compromise the League push. Now it has happened a third time, so I was wondering what it would take to make him see sense.

Errrr we got promoted last year, as champions ?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
But if he'd played more of the 1st teamers more of them might have gotten injured/carded?

Meaning it would have been an even worse result?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Erm... didn't we win the league at a canter last season? Yes, I think we did.

So, how exactly did his decisions backfire?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Finished the game with kids pinging it around the pitch, was great to see. When will fans learn that GET IT FORWARD is going to fall on deaf ears of a good passing football team. Exciting future ahead.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

:facepalm:

I wish he'd rested the whole team, I'm gutted about losing Lua Lua..

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gus very upbeat in the post match interview. Looking forward to playing the DS in the replay.

D

Deleted member 22389

I would rather he play these youngsters. Again we have now lost Lua Lua, this is a big big loss. Its just not going for us this season.

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
Do you?
I thought we won it by three points, with an inferior goal difference.
Because they bottled the last few games, it was nothing to do with our cup run. Besides, if they're playing kids in the replay too then why does it matter if we're playing a weakened side?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus not too happy with KLL picking up an injury. Might put out the DS in the replay depending on the 4th round draw.

Sep 1, 2010

What would you have done then. Play the full side risking even more bans and injuries. You seem to have overlooked the fact the the young ones that came in done very well indeed and the Wrexham goal was a tad lucky(not taking anything away from them mind). What would be your plan to get any development players to step up to the next level? Leave them with no hope of a first team place

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
To be fair, I don't think Poyet had a lot of choice with the team. I think the game came at a very good time for us with suspension's and injuries. The only two things that im a bit pissed off with is why play Lualua when he clearly picked up a knock against Saints. If there was one player you want to wrap up in cotton wool it is KLL. And why put CMS on bench if your not going to bring him on when you need to score a goal. He may as well of put Barker on the bench and let CMS go shopping with his missus. Apart from that, I think the lads would have learnt a lot from today and it can only improve the club moving forward. We will win replay, more suspension time will be served by Greer and more experience will be gained by the youngsters.

What would you have done then. Play the full side risking even more bans and injuries.
But if he'd played more of the 1st teamers more of them might have gotten injured/carded?
I'm thinking that taking a commanding lead early on would demoralise the non-leaguers to an extent that they would be less likely to inflict injury or become aggressive etc. Making it a stroll in the park wouldn't really be risky.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you?
I thought we won it by three points, with an inferior goal difference.

Yes. We got so many points that it was impossible for any other team to catch us, and we did that with 4 games to spare, having gone top in october and staying there for the duration of the season.

So, how did the fa cup run last season backfire on gus?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here