Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When will Gus learn?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Finished the game with kids pinging it around the pitch, was great to see. When will fans learn that GET IT FORWARD is going to fall on deaf ears of a good passing football team. Exciting future ahead.

I wasn't there today but the young players sounded very good and as you say, exciting times ahead. Unfortunately, we have a number of moaning idiots on here who seem to think they know more than Gus and his management team-empty vessels and all that.

Sep 1, 2010
I'm thinking that taking a commanding lead early on would demoralise the non-leaguers to an extent that they would be less likely to inflict injury or become aggressive etc. Making it a stroll in the park wouldn't really be risky.

That makes no sense whatsoever. so if we took the lead Wrexham players would not try and get back in the game by notbothering with any harsh tackles and we would not have an injury of any sort(you do not need to be tackled to get injured) and none of our 1st teamers would of got booked today based on us going in the lead. Do you remember Greer getting sent off last week after we were strolling into the lead against Southampton

Because they bottled the last few games, it was nothing to do with our cup run.
I didn't say it was. I was just disputing Ackers' view on how easily we won League 1.

. Besides, if they're playing kids in the replay too then why does it matter if we're playing a weakened side?
Because we'll be playing a number of first-teamers in the replay.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Erm... didn't we win the league at a canter last season? Yes, I think we did.

So, how exactly did his decisions backfire?
Do you?
I thought we won it by three points, with an inferior goal difference.
No, we won it while SCC still had 5 games left. 5! Our boys then went on holiday and the points difference dropped to 3 in the end, but we'd already won it, at a canter.

No, we won it while SCC still had 5 games left. 5! Our boys then went on holiday and the points difference dropped to 3 in the end, but we'd already won it, at a canter.

Yes. We got so many points that it was impossible for any other team to catch us, and we did that with 4 games to spare, having gone top in october and staying there for the duration of the season. So, how did the fa cup run last season backfire on gus?
OK, fair point.
But Gus didn't know we would secure the title so easily back in December (2010), and my point is that it could have done. By 'backfire', I mean that he obviously made his selections with a view to avoiding replays.

Sep 1, 2010
If we pull Man United or Chelsea out the hat tomorrow you can guarantee Gus will pick a strong team as it buys him some more self-promotion on TV in glamorous surroundings. If we draw Derby at home he'll probably effectively forfeit it, just like he has virtually every cup game since he's been here.

Did Poyet Forfeit the Woking match in the first round last year then as we had FC United of Manchester in the next? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

Sep 1, 2010
He tried DESPERATELY to forfeit that Woking match. Were you at the reply? Jesus, we were SHIT. The problem was Woking were just as bad so we got through. That may well be the case in Wrexham next Tuesday too.

We were shit in the first one tie too. You are talking bollocks. You are suggesting Poyet would only put a team out to win if there is a chance he will get some glamour TV time in the next round. What planet are you on ?

I am a big fan of Gus and what he is doing but as like the rest of us I have a few issues with a minor amount of what he does. One of these is the policy in the FA cup. I dont get it. Just play the development squad or not. Don't put a mixture of first teamers in especially at this moment when so many are out injured. I would rather we went out with development squad today and having said that, due to the fantastic work by Gus and in-particular Luke Williams, they have gelled so well they probably would have faired better than the team out there today. Just play one or the other. Lua Lua appears to be out injured now and there was a SCARE on Vincelot early on. Dont take the risk!

People also claiming we won the League at a canter are pretty much correct, ignoring April/May. However the replays DID effect us and did hinder our performance in the League. Luckily our lead was so great we could afford to trvel to FCUM and Woking. Now, when the season hangs between mid-lower table finish and a place in the play offs, we cannot afford to do this.

Just go one way or the other Gus. By all means, put the 1st team out and beat our opposition. It risks injuries which does sway towards fielding the Development squad entirley but they have better class and would have got the job done. I just think we should put the Development players out and see how it goes! They dont get anywhere near enough game time and when Cook, Forster-Caskey and Hall shine like they did again Southampton they should be given a chance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
OK, fair point. But Gus didn't know we would secure the title so easily back in December (2010), and my point is that it could have done. By 'backfire', I mean that he obviously made his selections with a view to avoiding replays.

When you said "But this backfired twice last season" you didn't actually mean it had backfired you meant it "could have".

And while he didn't know in december that it wouldn't backfire come the end of the season, you feel that you can state in january "Now it has happened a third time"? Do you see a certain hypocrisy here? Or do you mean "it could have" again?

What is so obvious about his selection that he wants to avoid replays? Why does playing "a weaker team" against "weaker opponents" suggest he is trying to avoid replays? Playing a strong team against weak opponents is a sign of wanting to avoid replays, surely? Aren't you more likely to get a draw if you even the playing field by selecting a weaker side to play weaker opposition?

Besides, with injuries and suspensions, he didn't have a lot of options, so with limited choice, why assume 'avoiding replay' is his motivating factor for team selection as opposed to 'what do I have left/who needs a break or chance'?

Sep 1, 2010
Gus loves publicity. He loves attention. He loves talking himself up as it's all part of the long-term plan for him. If we get a trip to Stamford Bridge in the next round I GUARANTEE we will field a team at Wrexham that will win the game. If we get a boring draw of no interest to anybody we'll put out an XI much like the rubbish that finished today's match.

So you think Poyet should not put out a strong side if we have a chance at playing one of the best teams in the country. That is how football works, it is about priority based on the fixtures you have in front of you.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I love watching passing football but we were passing it around with no end product and seemed to be working harder than Wrexham just to nock it round the middle of the park in triangles.

CMS & Barnes must be wondering what a centre forward is meant to do, they see the ball so little.

Playing 1 up front at home against non league opposition seems daft, I would rather of seen toby and Bergkamp given a run out.

We looked like the away team for large parts of the game and Wrexham knocked it around with purpose and pace.

When you said "But this backfired twice last season" you didn't actually mean it had backfired you meant it "could have".

And while he didn't know in december that it wouldn't backfire come the end of the season, you feel that you can state in january "Now it has happened a third time"? Do you see a certain hypocrisy here? Or do you mean "it could have" again?
What is so obvious about his selection that he wants to avoid replays? Why does playing "a weaker team" against "weaker opponents" suggest he is trying to avoid replays? Playing a strong team against weak opponents is a sign of wanting to avoid replays, surely? Aren't you more likely to get a draw if y ou even the playing field by selecting a weaker side to play weaker opposition?
You really are hard work this evening, Ackers!
I have already explained that by ' backfire' I mean the selection of a team that results in a replay, the one thing that Gus doesn't need.
His dilemma is that he has to pick a team that that rests as many first-teamers as possible yet avoids a replay. I have taken a fair bit of shit in this thread for pointing out that he has failed in this approach for a 3rd consecutive time against non-League opposition.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I love watching passing football but we were passing it around with no end product and seemed to be working harder than Wrexham just to nock it round the middle of the park in triangles.

CMS & Barnes must be wondering what a centre forward is meant to do, they see the ball so little.

Playing 1 up front at home against non league opposition seems daft, I would rather of seen toby and Bergkamp given a run out.

We looked like the away team for large parts of the game and Wrexham knocked it around with purpose and pace.

Hindsight post.

If Toby & Bergkamp had started and been out-experienced by Wrexham, Gus would have got slammed for his selection of strikers.

Let's not get carried away. Wrexham weren't destroyers, and in control of the game. They gave their all to match us in parts only, and took light years to run the clock down (except when 1-0 down).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You really are hard work this evening, Ackers!
I have already explained that by ' backfire' I mean the selection of a team that results in a replay, the one thing that Gus doesn't need.
His dilemma is that he has to pick a team that that rests as many first-teamers as possible yet avoids a replay. I have taken a fair bit of shit in this thread for pointing out that he has failed in this approach for a 3rd consecutive time against non-League opposition.

You are making an assumption regarding what Gus's motivation in team selection was and then judging him against this assumed motivation. That is why you are getting shit. That and the fact your initial post at least appeared to claim the cup run cost us last season (and the initial follow up defence you posted suggesting we barely sneaked a league title win to defend the apparent claim rather than correct the wrong interpretation of your first post), when it clearly didn't cost us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here