Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When we sign a big target man and assuming CMS stays

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Variety and yes hoofball should be in the armoury

Talking of hoofball, does anyone know if the goalkeeping coach works with the keepers on their distribution or do the likes of Gus, Tanno and Charlie work with them specifically to bring them into the team way of playing? The difference between Ankergren's "eleventh outfielder" style and Kuszczak's long and somewhat aimless ball downfield is the one area where we actually seem to have gone backwards

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Variety and yes hoofball should be in the armoury

Fair enough but I don't think that hoofball was the missing link last season.

More like a lack of final ball through to our striker who likes to run onto it in my opinion.

Still perhaps a big lump isn't such a bad plan. Saints played hoofball up to Lambert at times and it worked very well for them.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
christ you are a bigger numpty than The Complete Bodger! Are you sure you're not Withdean Wanderer wth a new name?
Complete and utter nonsense from someone who has no interest in or knowledge of football but is intent on winding people up and causing aggravation. Is that the definition of a troll or just of a total twat?

This is an internet forum. People are allowed an opinion. I don't believe he is a troll as you put it.

Talking of hoofball, does anyone know if the goalkeeping coach works with the keepers on their distribution or do the likes of Gus, Tanno and Charlie work with them specifically to bring them into the team way of playing? The difference between Ankergren's "eleventh outfielder" style and Kuszczak's long and somewhat aimless ball downfield is the one area where we actually seem to have gone backwards

I did say this when he signed that his distribution will let the side down. Oh look, here it is...

If I were you I would lower your expectations for Kuszczak then. His distribution is not his greatest asset...

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I would rather have a keeper who can come and catch a ball, make saves and command his area, than one who can pass the ball sideways but do none of the other things. At least he only has to work on his distribution. The other two keepers need to work on everything. Dont know why some people already have a downer on the new keeper when he is clearly better than the other two.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I would rather have a keeper who can come and catch a ball, make saves and command his area, than one who can pass the ball sideways but do none of the other things. At least he only has to work on his distribution. The other two keepers need to work on everything. Dont know why some people already have a downer on the new keeper when he is clearly better than the other two.
Exactly. After a few games in the side, he'll get used to the role Poyet wants the keepers to play. Best keeper we've had here for some time by a long way

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Don't think we really need another striker after yesterday, a strike force of:

-Barnes
-CMS
-Hoskins
-Toby

should be fine imo with the likes of Buckley and Vicente who have shown they can play a more advanced roll

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Don't think we really need another striker after yesterday, a strike force of:

-Barnes
-CMS
-Hoskins
-Toby

should be fine imo with the likes of Buckley and Vicente who have shown they can play a more advanced roll

I don't think yesterday changes anything poyet himself says we need a different type of forward to play a more forceful role he cited cardiff at home as an example...whether he gets one or not is another matter

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd imagine Dicker will be the one dropped from the starting line-up but not sure who else will come in. Options are: Lualua as a fast winger, CMS to play off the shoulder of the last defender or the new target man to get on the end of some crosses when the opposition park the bus

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

not a downer at all but an area he needs to work at very obviously.

He is already clearly a class above when it comes to commanding his area which is something we haven't had in more years than I care to remember (sorry but commanding his area is one thing that Michel never ever did). I thought he was unlucky yesterday with their goal. Chelsea TV criticised him for going down early but Lampard clearly shaped to put the ball in the corner then changed the angle of his foot to sidefoot in the other side. Class play from Lamps.

My question is whether the goalkeeping coach works on his distribution or do Gus and his outfield coaching team get involved in helping keepers learn to improve their play with the ball at their feet? I would have thought the latter was a much better idea but reports you see seem to indicate the keepers being isolated from the outfield players for much of training.

The keeper as an eleventh outfielder seemed to me to be a critical element of our promotion but didn't really survive last season when both keepers suffered periods of lost form. I wonder if we will resurrect it given the added pace in the Championship and the fact that more teams push up and play a higher line against our methodical build-up play from the back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

According to one of our coaches who is a friend of my brothers the cub are very happy with Kuszack but are a little concerned about his distribution not being as good as Ankergren but his long punts being better than Brezovan. Just to add no he gave no indication of who may sign for us if anybody within the next few days.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
According to one of our coaches who is a friend of my brothers the cub are very happy with Kuszack but are a little concerned about his distribution not being as good as Ankergren but his long punts being better than Brezovan. Just to add no he gave no indication of who may sign for us if anybody within the next few days.

Funny enough I spoke to a man u st holder when we signed him and he said very good keeper but very shaky with ball at feet . I thought he must have it wrong as Poyet loves this in a keeper but looks like could be true .

As mentioned compared to brez and ank this is minor

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here