Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When we sign a big target man and assuming CMS stays

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What I liked yesterday was Croft's ability to support the strikers. he will surely score >10 goals this season, a vital contribution to our top 6 attempt.

TNBA

TTF

exactly....its not all about how many strikers score unless u hav a lambert and those r few and far between goalscoring is needed from all positions and more definitely from midfielders

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
:albion2:my son spoke to craig yesterday said to him are you staying with us?
craig said dont no yet. don't sound very encouraging?:nono:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
But you've never seen CMS play with that team of ours.

Yes that's true. I am not slating CMS, as his workrate cannot be faulted. However, he missed numerous opportunites last season when presented and his style (apparently), does not fit ours. Surely we wouldn't change a style to suit one player?

He played with Vicente but to me it seems the player that links best with him (Vicente) is Barnes. Maybe Murray would've worked better with CMS, but that is yesterday's news.

CMS is not a bad player, seems a decent individual - he spent a long time signing autographs yesterday, but I'm not sure he is a 'good fit' for us. Of course I would love him to score 30+ or even 20+ goals this season, but based on last season can't see it happening.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
:albion2:my son spoke to craig yesterday said to him are you staying with us?
craig said dont no yet. don't sound very encouraging?:nono:

Trouble is maybe he doesn't as things seem very up in the air re the strikers... He may think we will cash him in to get something better, but he seems a genuine person who likes it at BHA and I am sure most people are desperate for him to succeed. I suppose we have to wait and see but there is no chance we can sell him before getting in a top replacement x2......

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not saying for a second he is the striker we after, maybe the TYPE though. Bellamy is a 'striker with presence' but is ANYTHING but a target man! Who connected to the Albion has ever mentioned a target man? Or a big lump? I always hear striker with presence. Bellamy has presence and drifts wide like CMS which would bring Barnes, Buckley, Vicente and Crofts into the game. Rooney is a striker with presence not a target man and drops deep to bring the likes of Buckley, Vicente and Barnes into the game.

Just saying. Origionally CMS was the player for Gus to build a team around for his style. Maybe he is doing OK but not physical or got enough Presence at this level so Gus is after similar but Prem not Champ quality

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However, he missed numerous opportunites last season when presented
I thought the problem last year was the lack of chances he had, not his finishing.
and his style (apparently), does not fit ours. Surely we wouldn't change a style to suit one player?
Gus knew his style before making him our number one target, and I assume Gus would like us to be able to play through balls for him, but it hasn't been working that way. We'll see.
He played with Vicente but to me it seems the player that links best with him (Vicente) is Barnes.
It's been that way so far, but Vicente is great at through balls - last year he was playing them for Buckley who was coming round the right. But last year the whole teams shape was affected by a few deficiencies around the park, the hope is that this year with our improved defense, and a box to box player like Crofts, players like Vicente will be more forward, and more able to put CMS through. If it's not to be though, let's get someone else.

Hopefully Gus is still working hard to get a good striker anyway. Although he said that was his aim, I am slightly worried that Spain's success could cloud Gus into thinking we can do it all with our midfielders. At Championship level, it's normally a top striker that puts you ahead of the pack.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If we hire Lukaku for the season, it would give us an unfair advantage in the championship !!! When he came on yesterday he looked unstoppable......

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought the problem last year was the lack of chances he had, not his finishing.

I really don't want to be negative towards CMS (so unfortunately I'm about to be - sorry!), but I can name numerous ocassions when he missed what can be classified as chances, the main one being Burnley in the last minute, which was poor by anyone's standards. Great strikers only need a chance to score, but I accept it is preferable to create as many as possible

Gus is a fantastic Coach and Manager, but we do all make errors of judgement from time to time perhaps this is one. However, just because it doesn't seem to be working with us at the minute, does not make CMS a bad player and it is just as likely he will either be on fire this season with us or with someone else.

I am slightly worried that Spain's success could cloud Gus into thinking we can do it all with our midfielders.

Interesting thought and quite possible.

Hopefully CMS will stay have a great season and we'll sign a 'big lump' of a striker, who has great touch, can hold the ball up, defend and is mobile as well!!

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Not saying for a second he is the striker we after, maybe the TYPE though. Bellamy is a 'striker with presence' but is ANYTHING but a target man! Who connected to the Albion has ever mentioned a target man? Or a big lump? I always hear striker with presence. Bellamy has presence and drifts wide like CMS which would bring Barnes, Buckley, Vicente and Crofts into the game. Rooney is a striker with presence not a target man and drops deep to bring the likes of Buckley, Vicente and Barnes into the game.

Just saying. Origionally CMS was the player for Gus to build a team around for his style. Maybe he is doing OK but not physical or got enough Presence at this level so Gus is after similar but Prem not Champ quality

This

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we hire Lukaku for the season, it would give us an unfair advantage in the championship !!! When he came on yesterday he looked unstoppable......

Is this a rumour with legs or more bullshit? He reminded me of a young Drogba and I'd be surprised if he didn't get a run at Chelsea. But that was on about 5 mins viewing, so I could be totally wrong:shrug:

I think I'd love it if the Albion could get a striker that SCARED defenders.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What makes you think that Gus would suddenly start playing 2 up front?

I thought Gus has stated that he was looking for a target man ( big skilful lump?) for CMS to play off?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
If Gus sign's a "target" man, he will play up front on his own. CMS will be a bench player at best. Hoskins, Barnes and Toby are all better than him. Time for him to move on.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Is this a rumour with legs or more bullshit? He reminded me of a young Drogba and I'd be surprised if he didn't get a run at Chelsea. But that was on about 5 mins viewing, so I could be totally wrong:shrug:

I think I'd love it if the Albion could get a striker that SCARED defenders.

Would love it to happen but Prem clubs have been after him for months so no chance with that 1

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If we had played yesterday with CMS and anyone up front with him we would have lost the game,he does not play as part of the team, best for him and us if he goes to a Club that will accomodate his way of playing the game

christ you are a bigger numpty than The Complete Bodger! Are you sure you're not Withdean Wanderer wth a new name?
Complete and utter nonsense from someone who has no interest in or knowledge of football but is intent on winding people up and causing aggravation. Is that the definition of a troll or just of a total twat?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
christ you are a bigger numpty than The Complete Bodger! Are you sure you're not Withdean Wanderer wth a new name?
Complete and utter nonsense from someone who has no interest in or knowledge of football but is intent on winding people up and causing aggravation. Is that the definition of a troll or just of a total twat?
Mutts nuts was bang on, we would have lost if CMS played yesterday. We are a much more attacking team when he is not there. I am still amazed that after the shocking season he had people still think he is the best thing since sliced bread. Not only was he our record signing but will go down in years to come as our biggest ever flop. Apart from a decent work rate he has very little going for him. Great bloke, terrible footballer at this level

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I'm sure Gus said he wanted a striker to help CMS get 20 goals a season... Or did I just completely make that up?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011

How old are you,do you call everyone names if they have a different opinion to yours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here