Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When we sign a big target man and assuming CMS stays

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who is gonna get dropped from the team that started today??

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Who is gonna get dropped from the team that started today??

If we had played yesterday with CMS and anyone up front with him we would have lost the game,he does not play as part of the team, best for him and us if he goes to a Club that will accomodate his way of playing the game

Last edited:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
It was a great result yesterday but I'm twitchy about the Dicker/Harley spot. Watched it live on Sky so must have missed quite a bit but hardly saw Dicker touch the ball and I'm neg on Harley so no comment. But I'm kind of hoping that those two won't feature, Vicente plays a bit deeper and CMS gets to play with Barnes more forward than he was used last year. If we get the new bloke then I think him, Barnes CMS and Hoskins will simply have to fight for their places, with Barnes a pretty clear fav right now I'd have thought

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
If we had played yesterday with CMS and anyone up front with him we would have lost the game,he does not play as part of the team, best for him and us if he goes to a Club that will accomodate his way of playing the game

Give it a rest mate. That wasn't the question of this thread so why try to turn it into another vehicle for your (oft repeated) opinion about CMS's role in the team?

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
It was a great result yesterday but I'm twitchy about the Dicker/Harley spot. Watched it live on Sky so must have missed quite a bit but hardly saw Dicker touch the ball and I'm neg on Harley so no comment. But I'm kind of hoping that those two won't feature, Vicente plays a bit deeper and CMS gets to play with Barnes more forward than he was used last year. If we get the new bloke then I think him, Barnes CMS and Hoskins will simply have to fight for their places, with Barnes a pretty clear fav right now I'd have thought

And dunk giving the ball away too many times was making me twitch....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What makes you think CMS willl get back in, we looked stronger without him yesterday. In terms of the target man, I would not think it is a given that we will firstly sign one or secondly change our style to accommodate one.

I thought it was really effective the way that Barnes and Vicente rotated yesterday and they do seem to play off each other very well.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Our strongest team would be... Bridge in for Calde (even though he had a great game yesterday), El-Abd in for Dunk. I think Vicente was kind of acting in a striker role yesterday so I suppose the new striker would rotate with Barnes.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think that Gus is going to continue playing a squad game and be choosing a team and formation depending on the quality and strengths of the opposition. he did this quite a few times last season with occasional shit results, Millwall for example. With the players we have now, being better quality and more versatile I can see us playing some games like yesterday with CMs and a big striker on the bench. Other games where we play with two strikers and players like Dicker and maybe even Vicente on the bench.

Gus is trying to set us up like a top European team in the way we play, exciting times although I'm sure we'll have the occasional West Ham at the end of season type game where it all goes wrong. I am fearful that my expectations are running away with me though, this is Brighton after all :smile:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Actually scrap what I just said, I think Dicker could be dropped for another striker as Bridcutt and Crofts looked very solid. Dicker did nothing wrong though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
With injuries and suspensions the much maligned Dicker, Sparrow and Harley are gonna have big parts to play this season imo, and all three I believe wiil be up to it :thumbsup:

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
What makes you think CMS willl get back in, we looked stronger without him yesterday. In terms of the target man, I would not think it is a given that we will firstly sign one or secondly change our style to accommodate one.

I thought it was really effective the way that Barnes and Vicente rotated yesterday and they do seem to play off each other very well.

Completely agree after yesterdays performance, the rotating was excellent and certainly was effective with Buckley playing a bit part too

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With injuries and suspensions the much maligned Dicker, Sparrow and Harley are gonna have big parts to play this season imo, and all three I believe wiil be up to it :thumbsup:
Obviously it's impossible to legislate for, but I think both will be well down on last year.
IF the pitch was to blame for the injuries, that's been changed.
The suspensions should (hopefully) decrease as we are a year in, we know what to expect, and a much stronger side.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't there, but if that's the case add KLL who also was getting on V-unit's wave length at the end of last season.
As left sides go, nobody will be able to touch us.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
does anyone know why CMS was not playing?

This back injury he had for some of last season. Think he got it on international duty or just before ? Backs are a difficult place to have a weakness . Always likely to flare up once they get an issue

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
This back injury he had for some of last season. Think he got it on international duty or just before ? Backs are a difficult place to have a weakness . Always likely to flare up once they get an issue

Nah, Gus said he was recovered & ready for Chelsea. SO obviously putting 2+2 together he is signing for Leeds on Monday :dunce:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Our strongest team would be... Bridge in for Calde (even though he had a great game yesterday), El-Abd in for Dunk. I think Vicente was kind of acting in a striker role yesterday so I suppose the new striker would rotate with Barnes.

What I liked yesterday was Croft's ability to support the strikers. he will surely score >10 goals this season, a vital contribution to our top 6 attempt.

TNBA

TTF

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What I liked yesterday was Croft's ability to support the strikers. he will surely score >10 goals this season, a vital contribution to our top 6 attempt.

TNBA

TTF
Something that was so obviously missing, last year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here