Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When was the last time we scored FIVE in this division?

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
I thought it was 4-2. It was years before Keegan took over.

He took over at the back end of the next season (91-92) and narrowly kept them up at the expense of us, among others. We beat them 1-0 at St James' shortly after he joined, Mark Gall scored the winner. Watched it as a 14-year-old in the "away" seats, which were totally unsegregated from the home ones, meaning that the row behind me was full of toon fans. One was sufficiently pissed off with my rather vocal celebrations to take my BHA baseball cap (!) off my head, gob in it, then put it back on my head.

Happy times.

Sorry, that's got nothing to do with us scoring five or more goals. Brought back a few memories though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't we beat them 5-3 a few seasons later aswell ?

No, they beat us 5-3. It was pissing down and Simonson was playing for them - possibly the first time a former European footballer of the year has played at the Goldstone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Simonsen didn't play for Charlton that day. It was in October 1985, and he'd returned to Denmark two years earlier.

If my memory serves me right, a very young Robert Lee scored a couple that day.

Was at a friend's wedding the day of the 7 - 0 thrashing of Charlton - after all these years the hurt is still there!

Allegedly, after the when a manager/player was asked if they recalled any other occasion when seven different players had scored in a game for the same the reply was "...probably only in a 5-a-side game". Subsequent research has shown this to be an urban myth.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
remember beating wolves 4-1 and beating watord 4-1 with a few weeks of eachother

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Simonsen didn't play for Charlton that day. It was in October 1985, and he'd returned to Denmark two years earlier.

Well that would explain why I have no recognition of how he played. I just remember getting absolutely soaked that day

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, they beat us 5-3. It was pissing down and Simonson was playing for them - possibly the first time a former European footballer of the year has played at the Goldstone.

And due to injuries didn't Martin Keown play as a centre forward for us

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If I remember correct, this was Wade's first and pretty much last match too.

It wasn't his first game - he'd played in two previous ones (and had scored) and played several more games that season and plenty more the following one

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here