Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WHEN Prescott says YES to Falmer, do the NIMBYs get a chance to appeal?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BensGrandad said:
In theory if the decision is yes on 31st October could the diggers move in and start work on 1st November as happened at The Goldstone the diggers went in on the Sunday morning following our last game thus making any further legal battles virtually impossible.

No. It will take months to accrue the loans and grants before work can start.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think it has to be put out to 'tender' or something, to see what building contractors we bring in to do the job. Wouldn't expect to see any excavation work for a few months at least. Everythings taken for ever so far, no reason to suspect anything to do with this project will be any quicker.

Christ, we got permission for those extra 2000 seats months ago, and look how far we've got with THAT so far.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Us fans have come up with money for many things would it not be in our own interests to come up with the money required to call the diggers in on Nov 1st to completely churn up the ground in preparation for the work to begin when the cash is sorted. Even just dig some massive great holes and pile the soil up in mounds so that it looks unsightly and not an AONB

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
Us fans have come up with money for many things would it not be in our own interests to come up with the money required to call the diggers in on Nov 1st to completely churn up the ground in preparation for the work to begin when the cash is sorted. Even just dig some massive great holes and pile the soil up in mounds so that it looks unsightly and not an AONB

Use the last of the £40 notes fund :lolol: :lolol:

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Easy 10 said:
From where I'm standing, the public enquiry covered every possible angle, and they were given every opportunity to present their case (and more at the subsequent enquiry). So applying for a judicial review on the basis that they didn't get the decision they want, would prove (a) hugely excpensive, and (b) unlikely to succeed.

Surely even LDC arn't stupid enough to go down that road if the decision goes against them.

As I understand it, a judicial review can only be sought to address irregularities in the process of the enquiry, not to contest its recommendations.

I also understand that Lewes District Council have said they will accept the enquiry's outcome - as has Norman Baker.

Only my understanding, mind. Lord B is our authority here.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BensGrandad said:
We could start a new one called DIG DEEP i.e dig deep into your pockets so that Gambles can dig deep into the Falmer fields

Dug Deep surely!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BensGrandad said:
We could start a new one called DIG DEEP i.e dig deep into your pockets so that Gambles can dig deep into the Falmer fields

I really don't think the club can ask for any more money of fans, next we will be all be selling "The Falmer Issue" on behalf of the club.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ernest said:
You IDIOT that is DOGGING not DIGGING :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

I salute the board jester :jester:

Last edited:

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004
Last Thread Next Thread
Author Thread

Halftime Oranges
STAYING UP

Want Falmer? Is Archer a f***ing cock

Falmer
If we have to wait until the 31st Oct, when can building commence. What is the process from getting a yes

Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-2005 11:54 PM

Insider
Brian Horton

Want Falmer? Yes

Firstly there is a period of 90 days in which the opponents can lodge a
challenge to the decision by the Secretary of State. If they do this
they will be taking legal action against the Government because in
effect they will be trying to say that John Prescott made the decision
unlawfully.

We will not be involved directly but obviously will take a great deal of
interest. We just have to wait and see whether they want to take on the
Government.

Once that period is over there are two tasks for the Club - Firstly we
have to go out and pull in the money from the various sources that we
have identified. We cannot apply for grant funding for instance until
we have the planning permission in our hand, but as soon as we have the
nod from John Prescott and the Challenge Period if over we are in a
position to go ahead.

The second task is to prepare the tender documents for the construction
and go out to tender to at least six major contractors. The building is
fully designed but there is a lot of work to do in putting together the
tender documents, specifications, Bills of Quantities etc., that make up
a detailed invitation to tender.

These two tasks will be undertaken side by side but it is unlikely that
work will actually start on site in less than 12 months from the date we
get the go ahead.

Same q was askedto insider not long ago. Look above for his answer

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
If we got the yes to Falmer,didn't Dick look at Falmer being completed for the 2008 season?

On the question of moving the diggers in on 1st November ...

NO. It won't happen.

There's a sodding University on the site. That needs to be moved before any stadium construction work starts.

I can't believe the Falmer lot would walk away without a fight. They could appeal against something that the inspector did or something that Prescott's office did in its oversight of the inquiry and its findings. They have a lot of money still to waste and it wouldn't surprise me if they went out in a blaze of glory. Lewes DC are constrained as they would have to spend much more council money on something that would eventually be pretty doomed to failure, so they are unlikely to appeal, but it wouldn't surprise me if Falmer lot tried a futile, last stand that could delay things a bit.

What would be interesting to know is, if some batty judge granted them leave to launch some kind of judicial review, would that suspend our ability to get the grant money and choose the contractors? - as that would be damaging if so. Hopefully we could still progress with that work while Falmer blew their money down the plughole on some mad legal challenge. As insider makes clear, it will be a year anyway before work is likely to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here